Edmond Edwards Family

  • Jo Webb
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
      Is anyone researching the Edmond Edwards and his wife Delphia Ann Wooten,
      daughter of Spencer Wooten family. They were married in 1878 in Edgecombe
      County but lived in the Falkland area of Pitt County There children were
      Callie, Delphia, Edmond C. William C. John A. and Edward.
      Who was Edmond Edwards father and mother?

      Jo

    • lisascarola
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
        Jo,

        Edmund was born about 1850, he was the son of Edmund and Susan Wooten
        Edwards.

        Now I've only ever had his wife as Delphia Ann, last name unknown.
        But I have Delphia Wooten, daughter of Spencer, as the wife of Redden
        Jackson Lewis. The marriage between Delphia and Redden was given to
        me by another researcher, so I'll have to check it out.

        Let me see if i can find out more on my own and I'll let you know.

        Lisa
      • lisascarola
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
          I think I figured out what was wrong with the other researcher info,
          Spencer's Daughter Lucinda married Redden, and Delphia did marry
          Edmond. I think the made 2 daughters into 1 person.

          Lisa
        • Jo Webb
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
            Thank you, Lisa.

            These Edwards and Wooten's have just about drove me crazy (which I don't
            have far to go), and all I wanted was about 4 generations. But here goes my
            story.

            I was looking for a Delphia Ann Edwards to start with because she is listed
            on the marriage license of her daughter Callie Edwards along with her
            husband Edmond Edwards as the father.

            I saw the work the researcher did on Delphia Ann Lucinda Wooten marrying
            Redden Lewis, and that she was the daughter of Spencer Wooten.

            I also saw where a Steven Wooten had a wife named Delphia Wooten.

            So where was I to put my Delphia Ann Edwards. Because I knew the Edwards
            and Wooten's married into each other a lot. I thought maybe there was a
            marriage license I could look at but no luck. But there is an index in the
            Edgecombe County Marriages for a Edmond Edwards and a Delphia Ann Wooten
            dated January 3, 1878.

            Next, I looked for a death certificate because I knew there was a Delphia
            Ann Wooten (supposedly the daughter of Spencer) that had a death certificate
            in Edgecombe because she died in 1921 and that is where I lucked up.

            Death Certificate

            Delphia Lewis
            born 1852
            died March 30, 1921
            Father- Steven W. Wooten
            Mother - Dephia Wooten
            It did not list her husband but it had married on there.

            Next, I happened to be in Greenville week before last so I went to the
            courthouse to look up some of my other Webb names and I thought of the
            Edwards and I knew some of them lived down around Falkland which is in Pitt
            County. So I looked up death records. There was a Delphia Ann Edwards born
            in Edgecombe County age about 73, widow, died May 23, 1925 in Pitt County.
            Informant J. A. Edwards of Fountain. Father, Spencer Wooten
            Delphia Ann did have a son John A. Edwards.

            In closing Delphia Ann Lucinda Wooten was called Lucinda by her family and
            friends. She was the daughter of Steven W. and Delphia Wooten and she did
            marry Reddin Lewis.

            My Delphia Ann Wooten was the daughter of Spencer and Jennetta Edwards
            Wooten and she married Edmond Edwards.

            Jo Webb

          • powell@katalystdesign.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
              The most likely candidate, as Lisa indicated, appears to be Edmond Edwards b. abt. 1818 and wife, Susan Wooten b. abt. 1823.

              There is an Edmond of the correct age listed with them in the 1860 census (he wasn't listed with the family in 1850, so I'm thinking the Sept. 1849 birth date given in the 1900 census could possibly really be Sept 1850). In 1870, he's not listed with mom, Susan, but could possibly be the Edward Edwards listed with Adam Edwards (Edward is the correct age, and Adam is the correct age to be his brother Adam from the 1850 and 1860 censuses).

              The snag in the plan, however, is that in 1880 Edmond Edwards has a brother named Dempsey living with him. I see no sign of a Dempsey Edwards ever listed with the family of Edmond and Susan Edwards, however.

              You may want to check the Pitt County deed records. There is one granting Susan her dower upon the death of her husband, Edmond in 1862. It's possible this will list the children of Edmond and Susan. It won't necessarily prove it's the correct Edmond who married Delphia Ann since he would have still been a minor and unmarried, but it's a place to start. And if it does list a son named Dempsey, then that would help!

              Pitt County DB QQ, p. 111 - Dower of Susan Edwards, widow of Edmund Edwards, 1862

              Kimberly Powell

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
                Jo,

                I am so glad that you cleared that up.
                Now it makes more sense to me. The other researcher had it a little
                mixed up.
                Now I haven't been able to find Callie yet listed as a child of
                Edmond and Delphia, but I did find, Edmund C, Nannie, Sallie, James
                B, and Delphia.
                What year was Callie born in, please remind me.
                I did notice that Edmund's brother Addams Edwards married Tempy Webb.
                Weren't there some other Webbs who married into the Edwards or Wooten
                line?
                I know that I have found the Edward's line confusing over the years,
                there is one line of them I have been trying to straighten out for
                the longest time. I gave up, and figured I'd get beck to it one day.

                Lisa
              • lisascarola
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Kimberly and Jo,

                  Her is what I have had listed as the children of Edmund and Susan
                  Wooten Edwards,so far. now please note that I have Edmund and
                  Delphia's last 3 children as possibles, not documented. Please excuse
                  any of my spelling error's today, I'm on sinus med.

                  Descendants of Edmund
                  EDWARDS
                  Edmund EDWARDS (b.Abt 1819 d.Dead)
                  sp: Susan WOOTEN (b.Abt 1824 m.Abt 1842 d.Dead)
                  |-Martha Ann EDWARDS (b.Abt 1844 d.Dead)
                  |-James B EDWARDS (b.Sep 1846 d.Dead)
                  | sp: Louisa (b.May 1840 m.Abt 1877)
                  |-Addams EDWARDS (b.Abt 1848 d.Dead)
                  | sp: Tempy WEBB (m.22 Dec 1882)
                  | +-Hettie EDWARDS (d.8 Mar 1950)
                  |-Mary S EDWARDS (b.1854)
                  |-Katina EDWARDS (b.1859)
                  | sp: James Edward COBB (b.1859 m.5 Jan 1879)
                  |-Ashley EDWARDS (b.1852)
                  |-Dempsey EDWARDS (b.1856)
                  +-Edmond EDWARDS (b.1850)
                  sp: Delphia Ann Lucinda WOOTEN
                  |-Edmond C EDWARDS (b.1888)
                  |-Nannie EDWARDS (b.Jan 1882)
                  | sp: Thomas EDWARDS (m.5 Oct 1904)
                  |-Sallie EDWARDS (b.Nov 1884)
                  |-James B EDWARDS (b.1879)
                  |-Delphia EDWARDS (b.1886)
                  |-William C EDWARDS
                  |-John A EDWARDS
                  +-Callie EDWARDS
                  Lisa
                • Jo Webb
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
                    The Sallie Edwards born Nov. 1884 should be Callie Edwards. She died
                    November 1, 1952.