Dowd

  • Patricia Mersereau
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
      Mr. Dowd was principal of Rose High School in Greenville during the 1960s. I can't remember his first name. Will try to check. I thought that he was from somewhere close by, but I don't know that for sure.

      Patricia Mersereau

    • Betty Cobb Batchelor
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
        Faye,
        The Albemarle Area of the 2004 Sprint Directory list eight Dowd
        families. You just might be onto something with the Dowd name. My
        husband grandmother - Gillie Ethel Coleman mother was Waity Boykin
        Coleman and her father Dempsey D Coleman. Both of his ggrandparents
        are in direct line to Benjamin and Hardy Boykin,SR.

        Betty Cobb Batchelor
      • luziermarcia
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
          I have spent the last several years doing my Mother's family
          genealogy and one of the "original" surnames is Daude from Germany.
          This family arrived in PA around 1765, lived in PA several years,
          and moved to Wythe Co VA to settle.
          I always assumed that the name ended up being Dowd.
          Marcia Dail Luzier

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, eahsr16@a... wrote:
          > Has anyone ever run across the surname Dowd in any of their
          research? In
          > eastern North Carolina?
          >
          > I have an ancestor whose middle name is "Dowd." His son was a
          junior and also
          > carried the same middle name.
          >
          > The Boykins came from Isle of Wight Co., Virginia. Jonathan's
          grandfather,
          > Benjamin Boykin was known to have been living in northern Halifax
          County, NC, by
          > 1741. Twenty years later, Benjamin Boykin's son, Hardy Boykin, Sr.
          was living