58th NCT Cemetery - Campbell County, TN

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2004
      Hello Group...
      For your information, forwarding for Michael
      HARDY.... read on:

      Greetings folks! Please note the below article I wrote about the
      Confederate cemetery in Campbell County, Tenn., along with the names
      of the soldiers (at the end of the article). Is anyone related to
      any of these men?
      Regards,
      Michael C. Hardy
      www.michaelchardy.com

      In the summer of 1862, the 58th North Carolina Troops marched
      away to eastern Tennessee. Their term of enlistment was three years,
      or the war. Many who watched their sons, husbands, or fathers pass
      along the route must have been terrified at the thought that they
      might never return.
      The 58th North Carolina Troops would not see any large-scale
      action their first year in service. But, disease, the largest killer
      during the war, would take its toll those first twelve months.
      During the winter of 1862-1863, the regiment was assigned to
      guard Big Gap Creek in Campbell County, Tennessee. That winter was
      harsh, and fifty members of the 58th North Carolina perished. They
      were all buried in a local cemetery in Campbell County, forgotten by
      most except for a few families in the area.
      In December 2002, Leta Cornett, of Boone, North Carolina,
      walked into the Campbell County Historical Museum and inquired as to
      the whereabouts of the Delap Cemetery. A phone call and a short
      drive was all that it took for Ms. Cornett to find the cemetery, and
      some members of the local community who helped her pinpoint the
      graves of fifty members of the 58th North Carolina who died during
      that winter 140 years ago. One of those soldiers was her grandfather.
      Soon the Campbell County Historical Society and other members
      of the community were involved; the cemetery was cleaned up and
      mapped. From the Veterans Administration, fifty tombstones were
      ordered, bearing the names and dates (if known) of the North
      Carolina soldiers. These tombstones and a fence will soon be
      installed around the cemetery to protect the final resting places of
      these soldiers.
      Believed to be buried in the cemetery are the following men:
      Adam EGGERS, Phillip H. GRUBB, Nathan HARTLEY, Jacob S. HAYES,
      Harmon HICKS, John H. BAIRD, Dudley G. GLENN, Larkin GREEN, William
      L. BROWN, Jacob JOHNSON, Madison JOHNSON, Larkin M. JONES, John
      MICHAELl, David D. MILLER, John NORRIS, Jessie PROFITT, James A.
      SMITH, and Alfred WATSON, of WATAUGA COUNTY; Newton A. BAKER, Samuel
      D. FRANKLIN, Hodge R. GARLAND, Jason E. BURLESON, Hilliard HORN,
      Thomas McKINNEY, and Joseph STEWARD, of MITCHELL COUNTY; John W.
      HUNTER, James M. CRAWFORD, William J. JONES, William M. McINTOSH,
      William A. NICHOLS, John W. PHILLIPS, Conarah D. PHIPPS, Grandison
      SHEPPERD, and Edward M. WILSON, of YANCY COUNTY; Elbert COFFEY and
      Stephen R. GRIFFIN, of CALDWELL COUNTY; Losen M. JAMES, John
      JEMERSON, J. F. MASSEY, Aaron W. OWENSBURY, and Edward TOWERY, of
      McDOWELL COUNTY; and William TREADWAY of ASHE COUNTY
      .
      A fund has been set up at the Peoples National bank in
      Jacksboro for those wishing to contribute to the project. A
      memorial service is also being planned. For more information,
      please contact Michael C. Hardy at mchardy@...

      jewelle@...
      jewellebaker@...
      Researching: (Main Capitalized)
      Worthington, plus ++++

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2004
        Jewelle,
        The name Grandison Sheppard stands out in the list from the Confederate
        Cemetery in Campbell County, Tenn.
        He could have Greene County roots.
        There were a couple of Grandison Edwards.
        The Sheppards and Edwards certainly intermarried.
        Trish