Dilday/Dilda connection

  • mary robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2004
      My mother's maiden name was Dilday, some of the family spelled it Dildy. My great-great grandfather was Cooper Bennett Dilday. Cooper married Malinda Ellis in Jackson County,IL in 1853. My great-grandfather was Issac Ensign Dilday who married Sarina Elizabeth Skelton in Conway, AR in 1890/91. My belief is that Elias Dilday was Cooper's father, although I do not have absolute proof. Cooper named his first son Charles Daniel, after his grand-father, Charles Dilday and Malinda's father, Daniel Ellis. Issac Ensign was his second son and John B. was the third son. I believe John B. was named after Cooper's brother John Balas. Charles Daniel married Elva Jane Henson and John B. married Rachel M. Skelton, Rachel was Sarina Elizabeth Skelton Dilday's.???our family always believed the two Skelton women were sisters, but my research indicates that they may have been Aunt (Rachel) and niece (Elizabeth). My part of the Skelton family migrated to Arkansas after the death of James Skelton,
      son of Amos A.Skelton and Charity Reeves Skelton of Hickman County, TN...
      My great-grandfather's obituary states that "Ike Dilda died at his home at Tarlton." This was early 1900's in Pope County, AR on what was known as Dilday Ridge.

      Cooper Bennett was born 1827 SC, The 1830 Rabun County GA census states that Elias and Phariba Wimpy Dilday had two sons age zero to four , according to David Clark one of these sons was John Balas born 1829 and the other was Cooper Bennett. David thinks that because Cooper named his son John B. and because of their migration pattern that Cooper is Elias' and Pharaba's second and unnamed son...Cooper is not in the 1840 census with Elias' family in Alto Pass, Union County IL...but Cooper is in IL because he marries Malinda there in January, 1853 and all of their children are born there. To me, I have a strong circumstantial case that this my line.

      If anyone can help me with my search I will appreciate it greatly.

      Mary Robinson
      New Mexico