1920 Pitt County census lookup

  • Rae Jean
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
      George W Peed born c1879 Beaufort County. Married Nora (---).

      On 1920 census they are living in Greenville Township, Pitt County, page
      119, dwelling 210, family 212 according to Heritage Quest. This particular
      page is VERY difficult to read. If anyone has access to Ancestry 1920 census
      records, would appreciate lookup for this family.

      Thank you for your help.
      Rae Jean
    • ann butler
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
        Hey...I have an old telephone book for Greenville 1926-1927...there is only
        one Peed listed...

        Peed Noah (Cora),lab, h 4106 Washington St.

        George W Peed born c1879 Beaufort County. Married Nora (---).

        On 1920 census they are living in Greenville Township, Pitt County, page
        119, dwelling 210, family 212 according to Heritage Quest. This particular
        page is VERY difficult to read. If anyone has access to Ancestry 1920 census
        records, would appreciate lookup for this family.

        Thank you for your help.
        Rae Jean

        Pitt County Historical Society:

        Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS earmarked

        RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited supply:

        GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
          Peed, George Richland, Beaufort, NC 1895 North
          Carolina White
          Peed, George E Richland, Beaufort, NC 1887 North
          Carolina White
          Peed, George W Mount Tirzah, Person, NC 1878 North
          Carolina White
          Peed, George W Greenville, Pitt, NC 1883 North
          Carolina White

          =====
          Paula Baker
          Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
            George W. Peed 36
            Nora 38
            Pearl 18
            Ira 13
            Harry or Harvey 4?
            Lem____ H. 4?
            George W., Jr. /12 couldn't read

            I couldn't read some of this very well.

            =====
            Paula Baker
            Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • Rae Jean
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
              Paula --

              Please provide details for family of these two Peed's:

              Peed, George Richland, Beaufort, NC 1895 North Carolina White

              Peed, George W Greenville, Pitt, NC 1883 North Carolina White

              Thank you for the providing the Peed's who were listed 1920...
              Rae Jean
            • Rae Jean
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                Ann
                That is so cool. Yes, I have Noah in database but he is only ten years old
                in 1910. <G> Appreciate the information.
                Thank you.
                Rae Jean

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                  I know the George Washington Peed, born 1883, was married to Nonia
                  Cash, they were my great aunt's parents.

                  Lisa

                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Paula Baker <paulabaker69@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Peed, George Richland, Beaufort, NC 1895 North
                  > Carolina White
                  > Peed, George E Richland, Beaufort, NC 1887 North
                  > Carolina White
                  > Peed, George W Mount Tirzah, Person, NC 1878 North
                  > Carolina White
                  > Peed, George W Greenville, Pitt, NC 1883 North
                  > Carolina White
                  >

                  > =====
                  > Paula Baker
                  > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and
                  > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Rae Jean
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                    Lisa
                    Do you know origin of this Peed? Isn't this part of the Peed's who migrated
                    from Person County to Pitt County?

                    I thought her name was Nora Cash but don't have that information in front of
                    me so I could be mistaken.

                    BTW, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for citing me as a
                    source on your website. Appreciate the acknowledgement.
                    Rae Jean

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                      1920 U.S. Census � North Carolina � Beaufort �
                      Richland � ED# 10

                      John Clayton 42 M W Married
                      Sudie 42 F W Married
                      Elizabeth 7 F W daughter
                      Caroline 6 F W daughter
                      George Peed 24 M W Wd? stepson (Maybe not Wd)
                      Caho? ____ 17 M W S nephew I cannot read this name

                      =====

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                        1920 U.S. Census - North Carolina
                        1920 U.S. Census � North Carolina � Beaufort �
                        Richland � ED# 11

                        George E. Peed head 32 farmer (All born in NC and
                        parents born in NC except Mary below.)
                        Margie Peed wife 28
                        Hallet? Peed son 8
                        Mabel Peed daughter 7
                        Peach? Peed daughter 5
                        Earl? Peed son 5
                        Cathleen Peed daughter 3 /12
                        Cornelius G. Peed father 67 WD
                        Mary Smithwick Maybe mother-in-law? 66 WD(born in NC,
                        father in GA, mother in NC)

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                          Name Home in 1920
                          (City,County,State) Estimated
                          Birth Year Birthplace Race View Image

                          Peed, Irving A Chocowinity, Beaufort, NC 1881 North
                          Carolina White
                          Peed, George Richland, Beaufort, NC 1895 North
                          Carolina White
                          Peed, George E Richland, Beaufort, NC 1887 North
                          Carolina White
                          Peed, Oliver J Richland, Beaufort, NC 1870 North
                          Carolina White
                          Peed, William S Richland, Beaufort, NC 1879 North
                          Carolina White
                          Peed, Charlie Washington, Beaufort, NC 1874 North
                          Carolina White

                          =====

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                            Database: North Carolina Deaths, 1970-74

                            September 29, 2004
                            9:23 PM

                            Personal Information What to do next?

                            Name: GEORGE PEED
                            Place of Death: Durham (P), Durham
                            Place of Residence: Durham (P), Durham
                            Institution: Home
                            Death Date: June 08 , 1974
                            Gender: Male
                            Age: 66 Years 00 Months 00 Days
                            Place of Injury:
                            Attendant: Medical Examiner
                            Marital Status: Married
                            Autopsy: No
                            Race: White

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                              Name Birth Date Race Birthplace Registration Place
                              (City, County, State) View Image Save This

                              George Evett Peed May 6 1887 Caucasian North
                              Carolina;United States of America Not Stated,
                              Beaufort, NC
                              George Sheldon Peed Mar 7 1896 Caucasian North
                              Carolina;United States of America Not Stated,
                              Beaufort, NC
                              Geo Washington Peed 19 Mar 1878 White ! Not Stated,
                              Person, NC

                              View printer-friendly

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                                Paula
                                Really appreciate ALL the information. You have been more than generous.
                                Know about the Beaufort County Peed's. <G> It was the Pitt County Peed's
                                that were uncertain. Didn't have the WWI draft cards... that is a big help.
                                Thank you.
                                Rae Jean

                                : =====
                                : Paula Baker
                                : Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and
                                : Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
                                :
                                : __________________________________________________
                                : Do You Yahoo!?
                                : Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                                : http://mail.yahoo.com
                                :
                                :
                                :
                                : http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/VolumeIIChronicles.htm
                                :
                                : RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited supply:
                                :
                                : Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:
                                :
                                : We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group
                                : GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
                                : Research http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir
                                :
                                : Yahoo! Groups Links
                                :
                                :
                                :
                                :
                                :
                              • lisascarola
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                                  Rae Jean,

                                  I was given the name Nonia from a family member. I'd have to check
                                  with her. Nonia Cash's daughter Louise Peed McGowan, named her
                                  daughter Nonia. I do know that George W Peed's father was Joseph
                                  Purnell Peed and his mother was Celia Vincent, I'm not sure where his
                                  family was prior to being in Pitt County.

                                  What I find strange is that my great Uncle William Mac McGowan, was
                                  the only one of my grandfather's siblings who married someone from
                                  Pitt County. Their father had move out of Pitt County, while they
                                  were still children, so, I've always wondered how he and Louise met.

                                  Lisa

                                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Jean" <raejean1@e...> wrote:
                                  > Lisa
                                  > Do you know origin of this Peed? Isn't this part of the Peed's who
                                  migrated
                                  > from Person County to Pitt County?
                                  >
                                  > I thought her name was Nora Cash but don't have that information in
                                  front of
                                  > me so I could be mistaken.
                                  >
                                  > BTW, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for citing me
                                  as a
                                  > source on your website. Appreciate the acknowledgement.
                                  > Rae Jean

                                • Karen Oakley Moore
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 30, 2004
                                    Rae Jean,

                                    I might can help. My great-grandmother was a Peed.
                                    Her father and George were brothers. Granny lived to
                                    be almost 96 and she had a great memory. Email me your
                                    questions.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Karen
                                    --- lisascarola <feonadorf@...> wrote:

                                    > Rae Jean,
                                    >
                                    > I was given the name Nonia from a family member. I'd
                                    > have to check
                                    > with her. Nonia Cash's daughter Louise Peed McGowan,
                                    > named her
                                    > daughter Nonia. I do know that George W Peed's
                                    > father was Joseph
                                    > Purnell Peed and his mother was Celia Vincent, I'm
                                    > not sure where his
                                    > family was prior to being in Pitt County.
                                    >
                                    > What I find strange is that my great Uncle William
                                    > Mac McGowan, was
                                    > the only one of my grandfather's siblings who
                                    > married someone from
                                    > Pitt County. Their father had move out of Pitt
                                    > County, while they
                                    > were still children, so, I've always wondered how he
                                    > and Louise met.
                                    >
                                    > Lisa
                                    >

                                    > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Jean"
                                    > <raejean1@e...> wrote:
                                    > > Lisa
                                    > > Do you know origin of this Peed? Isn't this part
                                    > of the Peed's who
                                    > migrated
                                    > > from Person County to Pitt County?
                                    > >
                                    > > I thought her name was Nora Cash but don't have
                                    > that information in
                                    > front of
                                    > > me so I could be mistaken.
                                    > >
                                    > > BTW, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank
                                    > you for citing me
                                    > as a
                                    > > source on your website. Appreciate the
                                    > acknowledgement.
                                    > > Rae Jean

                                    =====
                                    Thanks in advance!
                                    Karen Oakley Moore
                                    Main Surnames -
                                    OAKLEY, VANDIFORD,GASKINS,PEED,Freeman,Moore,Abbott, Hardee, Holland

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 5, 2004
                                      Dear Lisa, Two of our McGowans married Vincents. Tell
                                      me, please, whom did Louise Peed marry? Later, Carol

                                      http://vote.yahoo.com
                                    • lisascarola
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 5, 2004
                                        Carol,

                                        Louise Peed married William Mac McGowan, my great Uncle, he was the
                                        son of James Guilford McGowan and Lucy Sermons, and the grandson of
                                        McDonald and Quillie Mills McGowan.

                                        Cousin, Lisa

                                        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 6, 2004
                                          Dear Lisa, Thanks! I am thinking that Mac McGowan was
                                          the son of Guilford McGowan, my great uncle. Burton,
                                          his brother, was my great grandfather as he was father
                                          of Sarah Frances McGowan who married Alfred
                                          Worthington (1845). Then their son Alfred Worthington
                                          married Jenny Secession McGowan, cousin of Sarah
                                          Frances McGowan. By the way, will you be attending the
                                          PCFR Reunion? I did not come across a registration
                                          form until last Thursday and in my haste to get out of
                                          here because of having to buy groceries to take to
                                          work for the weekend, I left the form. Since I have
                                          e-mail access only at school, I was unable to contact
                                          anyone until Monday. I could not find the forms I had
                                          printed out. I have written several members that my
                                          sister and I planned to attend but have received no
                                          follow-up from anyone. I am just hoping that we were
                                          included in the registration for the Reunion even
                                          though I had no form to send. It was a real struggle
                                          to receive permission to be off work to attend, and I
                                          will just die if I can't go. Any suggestions! I have
                                          e-mailed Roger Kammerer, Jewelle, and finally Liz
                                          Sparrow and am anxiously awaiting a reply. I know that
                                          all of them have a life, and who knows but what some
                                          are out of town or simply as overworked as I have been
                                          these last few weeks. Hoping to hear something soon. I
                                          would love to meet you and hope to learn that you are
                                          planning to attend too. Later, Carol

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 6, 2004
                                            Dear Carol,

                                            I will not be attending. My husband is going to be away that week and
                                            I won't have a sitter for my children. How I do wish I was able to
                                            go. Please try and meet some McGowan researchers. When I was in
                                            Greenville last I met a few McGowan cousins, they were not however
                                            online.
                                            You are right McDonald was son of Guilford and Lezina Cherry McGowan.

                                            You might want to go out to the McGowan homeplace. Old George
                                            McGowan, gave land to Guilford and Burton.I know that Guilford's land
                                            lies behind the Evan/McGowan Cemetery, less then a mile from
                                            Hollywood Church, I'm not sure where the line was drawn for Burton's
                                            land.

                                            Anyway I hope you work it all out and get to go, let me know how it
                                            is.

                                            <csinghworthington@y...> wrote:
                                            > Dear Lisa, Thanks! I am thinking that Mac McGowan was
                                            > the son of Guilford McGowan, my great uncle. Burton,
                                            > his brother, was my great grandfather as he was father
                                            > of Sarah Frances McGowan who married Alfred
                                            > Worthington (1845). Then their son Alfred Worthington
                                            > married Jenny Secession McGowan, cousin of Sarah
                                            > Frances McGowan. By the way, will you be attending the
                                            > PCFR Reunion? I did not come across a registration
                                            > form until last Thursday and in my haste to get out of
                                            > here because of having to buy groceries to take to
                                            > work for the weekend, I left the form. Since I have
                                            > e-mail access only at school, I was unable to contact
                                            > anyone until Monday. I could not find the forms I had
                                            > printed out. I have written several members that my
                                            > sister and I planned to attend but have received no
                                            > follow-up from anyone. I am just hoping that we were
                                            > included in the registration for the Reunion even
                                            > though I had no form to send. It was a real struggle
                                            > to receive permission to be off work to attend, and I
                                            > will just die if I can't go. Any suggestions! I have
                                            > e-mailed Roger Kammerer, Jewelle, and finally Liz
                                            > Sparrow and am anxiously awaiting a reply. I know that
                                            > all of them have a life, and who knows but what some
                                            > are out of town or simply as overworked as I have been
                                            > these last few weeks. Hoping to hear something soon. I
                                            > would love to meet you and hope to learn that you are
                                            > planning to attend too. Later, Carol
                                            > --- lisascarola <feonadorf@c...> wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > Carol,
                                            > >
                                            > > Louise Peed married William Mac McGowan, my great
                                            > > Uncle, he was the
                                            > > son of James Guilford McGowan and Lucy Sermons, and
                                            > > the grandson of
                                            > > McDonald and Quillie Mills McGowan.
                                            > >
                                            > > Cousin, Lisa
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
                                            > > <csinghworthington@y...> wrote:
                                            > > > Dear Lisa, Two of our McGowans married Vincents.
                                            > > Tell
                                            > > > me, please, whom did Louise Peed marry? Later,
                                            > > Carol

                                            > > I'd
                                            > > McGowan,
                                            > > I'm

                                            > > William
                                            > > how he

                                            > > part

                                            > > have

                                            > > thank

                                          • Jack Devitt
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 6, 2004
                                              I'm a McGowan cousin and online. I can't go either. Wish I could. If you ever want to get in touch with some McGowan's, I might could help. Lori (great granddaughter of McDonald McGowan and Quille Mills or greatgreatgrandaughter of Guilford McGowan and Lezina Cherry)

                                              <csinghworthington@y...> wrote:
                                              > Dear Lisa, Thanks! I am thinking that Mac McGowan was
                                              > the son of Guilford McGowan, my great uncle. Burton,
                                              > his brother, was my great grandfather as he was father
                                              > of Sarah Frances McGowan who married Alfred
                                              > Worthington (1845). Then their son Alfred Worthington
                                              > married Jenny Secession McGowan, cousin of Sarah
                                              > Frances McGowan. By the way, will you be attending the
                                              > PCFR Reunion? I did not come across a registration
                                              > form until last Thursday and in my haste to get out of
                                              > here because of having to buy groceries to take to
                                              > work for the weekend, I left the form. Since I have
                                              > e-mail access only at school, I was unable to contact
                                              > anyone until Monday. I could not find the forms I had
                                              > printed out. I have written several members that my
                                              > sister and I planned to attend but have received no
                                              > follow-up from anyone. I am just hoping that we were
                                              > included in the registration for the Reunion even
                                              > though I had no form to send. It was a real struggle
                                              > to receive permission to be off work to attend, and I
                                              > will just die if I can't go. Any suggestions! I have
                                              > e-mailed Roger Kammerer, Jewelle, and finally Liz
                                              > Sparrow and am anxiously awaiting a reply. I know that
                                              > all of them have a life, and who knows but what some
                                              > are out of town or simply as overworked as I have been
                                              > these last few weeks. Hoping to hear something soon. I
                                              > would love to meet you and hope to learn that you are
                                              > planning to attend too. Later, Carol
                                              > --- lisascarola <feonadorf@c...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > Carol,
                                              > >
                                              > > Louise Peed married William Mac McGowan, my great
                                              > > Uncle, he was the
                                              > > son of James Guilford McGowan and Lucy Sermons, and
                                              > > the grandson of
                                              > > McDonald and Quillie Mills McGowan.
                                              > >
                                              > > Cousin, Lisa
                                              > >

                                              > > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
                                              > > <csinghworthington@y...> wrote:
                                              > > > Dear Lisa, Two of our McGowans married Vincents.
                                              > > Tell
                                              > > > me, please, whom did Louise Peed marry? Later,
                                              > > Carol

                                              > > I'd
                                              > > McGowan,
                                              > > I'm

                                              > > William
                                              > > how he

                                              > > part

                                              > > have

                                              > > thank

                                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 12, 2004
                                                Dear Lisa, My apologies for the delay in getting back
                                                to you. I actually attended Hollywood Church right up
                                                until our move from Pitt County. My Cousin Herman
                                                Evans took us every Sunday. I really enjoyed attending
                                                that church. It was so child-friendly. The Sunday
                                                School teachers, the pastor (Mr. Willingham), and the
                                                older members always had time to answer a child's
                                                questions and made a point of greeting each one who
                                                attended, with or without parent or other adult in
                                                tow. If I had had no other experience than this one, I
                                                would still have to say "What a wonderful life!" It
                                                made all the difference. I met many of Mama's friends
                                                and some of her former teachers there and appreciated
                                                a side of Mama that I would never have known about
                                                otherwise. Elise, my sister, might remember the
                                                church. She was barely able to toddle when Mama first
                                                sent her to Bible School. Giving us that experience
                                                was so important to Mama that her entire life she kept
                                                all our Vacation Bible School certificates. I still
                                                know the way to the church. Elise will be driving us
                                                to the Reunion, and we will do our level best to get
                                                to the cemetery. I'll let Poe Jr. and Linda know. I'm
                                                sure they would want to go, too. I will also talk to
                                                as many people as I can to find a McGowan researcher
                                                for us or at least someone who happens to have
                                                consented to share his files for the occasion. A few
                                                years ago Roger Kammerer came well-armed with files
                                                from members who could not attend but who wanted to
                                                share their information. As a result, I was able to
                                                fill in several gaps in my research. I actually met a
                                                McGowan on that occasion; she lives in Bath, N.C. I'll
                                                let you know everything I find out the minute I
                                                return. You have been so helpful to me, and I'd be
                                                happy to be able to repay the favor. Have a good week.
                                                Later, Carol

                                                === message truncated ===

                                                http://vote.yahoo.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 12, 2004
                                                  I wish that both you and Lisa could attend. I would
                                                  love to meet my McGowan family. I've met only one. She
                                                  lives in Bath, N.C. If I get lucky, I'll share. Later,
                                                  Carol

                                                  === message truncated ===

                                                  http://vote.yahoo.com
                                                • lisascarola
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 12, 2004
                                                    Carol,

                                                    Lori and I got to meet 2 summers ago, Her Aunt and my great Aunt look
                                                    so much alike it was strange, they were first cousins. My uncles who
                                                    are McGowans(By that I mean by last name), I think they bear
                                                    resemblence to my Sermons side of the family.