Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Andrew Jackson Moore

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 28, 2004
      Mine was born 1832.
      Married Della A. Cotten.
      Trish

      On Tuesday, September 28, 2004, at 11:07 PM, squizzie wrote:

      > Trish,
      >
      > Is this your Andrew Jackson Moore? Found this....but the birth dates
      > are different.
      >
      > Marilyn C.
      >

      > ALFRED MOORE BIBLE
      >
      > Andrew Jackson Moore son of Alfred Moore & Ann Moore his wife was
      >
      > born December 25 1853
      >
      > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/lenoir/bibles/moorealfred.txt

      > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS
      > earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:

      > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

      > group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
      > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
      > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 29, 2004
        Faye,

        This is from a different source, but very similar in information.
        Wonderful genealogical information for an obituary.
        Source: Stocks, Brenda, "Brenda Stocks" <bstocks@...>, 6 Jul 2002,
        Subject: [NC-PCFR] Obituaries, To: NC-PCFR-L@..., Abstracted
        from the Minutes of the 144th annual session of Kehukee Primitive
        Baptist Association held on the Saturday before the first Sunday of
        October 1909 in Halifax, NC.

        • Zion’s Landmark Obituaries - Elder A. J. Moore
        Elder Andrew Jackson Moore, son of Elder Ichabod Moore (1793-1857) a
        soldier of the Mexican war, and his wife, Elizabeth J. Moore
        (1801-1873), was born in Pitt County, N.C., January 18, 1837, and
        gently fell asleep in Jesus at 2:30 A.M., Octoer 26, 1925, at his home
        in Whitakers, N.C. He was educated at Wilson, Oxford (NC? or England?)
        and the University of North Carolina. At the breaking out of the Civil
        War he joined the Orange Light Infantry, and was at the first battle in
        Virginia (Big Bethel, 10 miles northeast of Fortress Monroe) June 10,
        1861; and when that company was disbanded he went home, and formed a
        company from Pitt, Wilson and Greene counties (Co. F., 1st Regiment),
        and was chosen its captain, and served with gallantry till the end of
        the war. He was severely wounded in the right elbow during a charge on
        Battery Wagner, in Charleston Harbor, August 1863, and was in a
        hospital several months. In January 1864 he married Elizabeth,
        daughter of Larry D. Farmer and wife, of Wilson; she was born January
        14, 1840, and died January 5, 1918. To this union eleven children were
        born, of whom two died in infancy, and nine, who were married, are
        still living. On October 19, 1870, Brother Moore related an experience
        of grace to Toisnot Church in Wilson, and was baptized the same day by
        Elder Robert D. Hart.
        He liberated to exercise his gift of speaking November 1872, and was
        ordained to the full functions of the gospel ministry in December 1873
        by Elder P. D. Gold and D. B. Pitt. He was granted a letter of
        dismission (with others) and formed the church at Moore’s (named after
        him), eight miles east of Wilson, and also teaching school. He removed
        to Whitakers, in Nash County, N.C. in December 1879. While residing in
        Wilson County he served the churches at Contentnea, Black Creek, and
        Moore’s and he founded and served the church at Elm City. And after he
        removed to Whitakers, he continued to serve the churches at Black Creek
        and Elm City some years, and he formed the church at Whitakers, and
        served it and Kehukee Church about 40 years, and Rocky Swamp Church
        agout 15 years. He taught school at Whitakers about 30 years. With
        his godly and beloved wife, he reared his children in the nurture and
        admonition of the Lord. His older daughter, Sister Cornelius White,
        was a bright and lovely Christian, and died in 1923. His eldest son,
        Elder Julius C. Moore, is most exemplary, does a large time mercantile
        business, and serves four churches most acceptably. And his son Andrew
        J. named after himself has long been the effecient general freight
        agent of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad at Wilmington, and is a
        strong Primitive Baptist. His son Larry is a fine lawyer, and lives at
        New Bern, N.C. His son, Owen, is the express agent at Scotland Neck,
        N.C. His daughter, Mrs. Mattie Taylor, lives at Florence, S.C.; and
        his daughjter, Mrs. Minnie Taylor at Whitakers. His widowed daughters,
        Mrs. Lula Price and Mrs. Ruth Harrison, lives at Whitakers.
        I do not know of any more excellent and useful citizen, Elder Moore was
        a fine disciplinarian in his family, his school, his church and the
        army.
        We were members of the same class at the University of North Carolina,
        and, outside of my family, he was, for 67 years, my dearest friend. -
        Sylvester Hassell

        Trish