Re: [genpcncfir] Washing Clothes Yesteryear

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2004
      Dear John, Our first washing machine was also a
      wringer type--our first May Tag. Mama never left me
      alone with it even though it had a "head release" as
      it was called. Despite this safety device, a woman had
      caught her long hair between the wringers and unable
      to reach the release mechanism or to unplug the
      wringer, she died because the wringer caught her hair
      in such a way that it fell across her neck and acted
      in the manner of a noose. Mama was totally focused
      whevever she was feeding clothing through the wringer,
      and she had me always at her side to release the
      wringer in case of mishap. Fortunately, none ever
      occurred, and I was truly relieved when we moved into
      town during my teens and graduated to automatic
      washers and dryers--though Mama still kept her clothes
      lines and more often than not hung her wet laundry out
      to dry. Later, Carol

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail