Re: [genpcncfir] William Walston, Greene County, NC

  • Lou-BB
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2004
      A William Walston was found in the 1790 census of NC, page 135, living in
      Dobbs Co, New Bern District. Living near Martha Scarborough, John Walston,
      Philip Walston.This would have been near the Saratoga District/Snow Hill
      area of Dobbs County, later Greene County. However, The William Walston born
      1785 is probably a son of John, William or Philip Walston since the William
      Walston born prior 1790 census had to be at least 20 years old--thus born
      prior to 1770. A William Walston was living in the Saratoga Township in
      Wilson Co, NC census of 1860.Hopes this helps. LBB

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2004
        These are the names I have for William Walston and Polly Webb:
        Descendants of William Walston

        1 William Walston 1785 - 1860
        . +Polly Webb 1793 -
        ........ 2 Joshua Walston 1813 - 1871
        ............ +Annie - 1868
        ........ 2 Treacy Walston 1813 -
        ........ 2 John Walston 1814 -
        ............ +Theresa Felton
        ........ *2nd Wife of John Walston:
        ............ +Sallie Wadkins 1857 -
        ........ 2 Kinchen Walston 1815 - 1890
        ............ +Viney Webb 1819 -
        ........ 2 David Walston 1816 - 1870
        ............ +Gillah Walston 1800 -
        ........ 2 William Walston 1818 - 1892
        ............ +Elizabeth Dildy 1816 - 1892
        ........ 2 Littleton (Sr) Walston 1822 - 1894
        ............ +Celia Dunn
        ........ *2nd Wife of Littleton (Sr) Walston:
        ............ +Zelpha Smith - 1894
        ........ 2 Levi Walston 1825 - 1883
        ............ +Penniah Pittman 1832 - 1880
        ........ 2 Nancy Walston 1827 - 1895
        ............ +John Jackson Baker 1828 - 1891
        ........ 2 Mary Walston 1828 -

        And, look on page
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/p1762.htm#W

        I just looked at this page, and there are 4 Walstons on the taxpayers list
        for Pitt County, 1762

        Walston, George; John Walston; Thos. Walston; William Walston

        And on this page:
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~cenfiles/nc/greene/1850/indx-r-y.txt

        I found Walstons in Greene County, one of them also a Levi. However, I can't
        find anyone as a reference point (someone I know of) for the Walstons on this
        list.
      • Cvbeck
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
          Good Day All, Here is a copy of Simmons Walston's family tree. He allowed
          me to make a copy of this and said I could share it. This was compiled a
          few years back. I don't know if it will help with anyone's Walston's....but
          couldn't hurt! Simmons still lives at the Walston Homeplace in St. Lewis
          Community, NC (just outside Macclesfield and Pinetops NC).

          Thanks, Charlotte Beck

          History of the Walston Family

          The following is the main Walston line of this writer, Simmons Walston.
          Many hours of research through numerous bible recordings, deeds, wills,
          court records, marriage and death certificates, census, various, documents,
          and findings recorded at the Archives building in Raleigh, N.C., this writer
          has come up with the main Walston line beginning around 1653.

          The first white immigrants began to move into Virginia in 1607 and the
          first black immigrants began to move in Virginia in 1619. The first record
          of any Walston (Walstone, etc.) appeared in Norfolk Co. at a place called
          Piney Island about 16__. This location today is eastward of Jamestown, Va..
          According to the Walston coat of arms, the Walstons came to this country
          from their native England. Several generations followed the Virginia rivers
          running southward into Carolina, especially the Chowan, down to Edenton,
          N.C. (Chowan Co.). Later generations began to break up in the 1700's and
          move on to Bertie Co. and to old Beaufort (now Pitt Co.) and to Dobbs Co.,
          part of which today is Greene Co., N.C. After a long stay in this section,
          they began to move on to other counties in North Carolina and other
          provinces.

          It is known that all the early settlers were either fishermen or
          planters, and most planters, since arriving in America. This was derived
          from their deed records and residences at various times.

          Although much knowledge remains to be discovered yet, it is hoped there
          is enough information in this report to at least give the basic facts of the
          history and character of the Walstons and the directions of their course of
          life up to the present time, January 19, 1983 at St. Lewis, Edgecombe
          County, N.C.

          The following is a sketch of each Walston generation in my lineage as I have
          found it. I have sketched information from the first knowledge of the
          Walston line to the present time.

          Simmons Walston
          St. Lewis
          Edgecombe County, NC
          *****************

          Jane Walston

          In a book at the Archives building in Raleigh, N.C. showing Immigrants to
          America, 1600-1700, written by Camden Hotten and called for short, Hotten's
          Persons, etc., is the name Jane Walston, age nineteen. The name came from a
          passenger ship "Truelove" in September, 1635. This is the first account of
          any Walstons coming to the United States of America. This is all the
          information that has been located on this particular person.

          The following is a list of grandfathers of this writer, Simmons
          Walston, beginning with his grandfather and counting backwards to his
          twelfth great-grandfather:

          W.B. (Billy) Walston
          Robert Walston
          Littleton Walston
          Phillip Walston
          John Walston
          William Walston, Jr.
          Phillip Walston, Esquire
          William Walston, Sr.
          Phillip Walston, Sr.
          William Walston
          Thomas Walston
          Joseph Walston
          Andrew Walston

          Andrew Walston

          Andrew Walston was the first Walston of my direct line to appear in
          this country. He was at Piney Island, Norfolk Co., Virginia around 1635.
          Today this section is eastward of Jamestown, Va. Area. Andrew had a son
          named Joseph. It is believed that Andrew was a fisherman or farmer or both,
          because of the location that he settled in. This section of Piney Island
          was later known as Walston Island. Andrew was married to Ann Hogison,
          daughter of Jasper Hoginson. This information on Andrew was found on page
          286, Vol. 1, in the book titled Cavaliers and Pioneers. This book can be
          found in the Archives building in Raleigh, N.C.

          Joseph Walston

          Joseph Walston was an early settler of the Norfolk Co., Virginia area
          in the mid to late 1600's. Not much is known of his personal life except
          that he married Joan Griffin, daughter of Thomas Griffin. They had a son
          by the name of Thomas. Records show that he had a land patent, so it is
          believed that he was a farmer. This land patent was from Prince Anne Co.,
          Virginia. This information was found in Vol. 1 of Caveliers and Pioneers at
          the Archives building in Raleigh, N.C.

          Thomas Walston

          Thomas Walston was the son of Joseph Walston. He was married to Sarah
          Morse, daughter of Captain Francis Morse. They had a son they called
          William. Thomas lived in the Surry Co., Va. Section, which at that time
          (1670) was known for their fishing, boat making, and farming. He was located
          at a place called Surry Plantation. He held a land patent from Norfolk,
          Prince Anne County, Va. This information can be found in Cavaliers and
          Pioneers Vol. 3 at the Archives building in Raleigh.

          William Walston

          William Walston, son of Thomas Walston, was born around the early to
          mid 1600's. It is presumed that he followed the trade of his ancestors
          Andrew, Joseph, and Thomas as farmers in the Norfolk County, Virginia area.
          He was married to Elizabeth Peters, daughter of James Peters. They had a
          son named Phillip, who was born in 1648. This information was found in Vol.
          3 of Cavaliers and Pioneers.

          It is believed that William was the first, or among the first, Walstons
          to immigrate to North Carolina probably in the mid 1600's.

          From a deed found in the Bertie County courthouse, I find that William
          gave as a gift, 540 acres of land to his grandson, also by the name of
          William. This transaction took place on July 21, 1719.

          Phillip Walston

          Phillip Walston was the son of William Walston. He was listed as being
          from Chowan, Granville County, N.C. He was also listed as being sheriff of
          that county in the early 1700's. This information was found in Cavaliers
          and Pioneers in the Archives building. (Vol. 1, 2, & 3) Phillip had a son
          by the name of William also.

          Phillip Walston was given a land grant containing six hundred acres
          lying in Chowan Precinct on the north east side of Cashia River. This was
          given under the seal of the colony, the first day of April, 1720. A full
          copy of this land grant has been obtained from Bertie County courthouse in
          Windsor, N.C. Several deeds have been located where this Phillip disposed
          of different sections of his land. On of these can be found in Vol. E on
          page 392, where Benjamin Lewis bought a parcel of land containing by
          estimation one hundred acres lying on the south side of Rockquist Swamp in
          the Province. He also deeded land to a James McDowell in November, 1747.
          Phillip Walston died soon after this transaction.

          Phillip's will to his wife and children is recorded in Vol. F page 325
          in the Bertie County courthouse. The people included in his will are: his
          wife, Averilla; his children, George, Henry, Easter, Jean, Mary, Phillip;
          and Phillip, his grandson by his deceased son, William. To his wife, he
          left half of his plantation. To Henry, he left a certain tract of land
          containing four hundred acres and a Negro boy. To his son, Phillip, he gave
          his Negro fellow, called Prince, and one boy called Jack. To George, he
          gave four hundred acres of land on his plantation in which he was already
          living. He also gave him a Negro boy called Luan. To Easter, he gave two
          hundred acres of land lying in Bertie County upon the south side of Bear
          Swamp Marsh and a Negro girl called Vilott. To Jean, he gave two hundred
          acres of land upon the Bear Swamp Marsh and one Negro girl called Cake. To
          Mary, he gave one Negro woman called Jenny. Phillip also gave his three
          daughters, Easter, Jean, and Mary, an equal share of his stock of cows and
          sheep. To his grandson, Phillip, son of William and Elizabeth, he gave a
          Negro girl called Rose. The date of this will was not plain enough to read.

          There is also a deed titled "Walston to Walston" where George Walston
          received his share of four hundred acres, after the death of his father
          Phillip. This can be found in Vol. 6, page 40 in the Bertie County
          courthouse. There is also a deed where Phillip is assigning part of his
          property to Joshua Wilkinson for a sum of thirty pounds. This can be found
          in Vol. E, page 434 in the Bertie County courthouse.

          Another deed has been found where Constance Williamson made Phillip
          Walston power of attorney for three hundred acres of land sold by her
          husband, James Williamson to William Battle. This business was transacted
          by Phillip's son, William, on the twenty-seventh day of April, 1720. This
          document was signed by William Walston. This can be found in Vol. B, page
          417, in the Bertie County courthouse. Phillip was born in 1648.

          William Walston, Sr.

          William Walston, Sr. was the son of Phillip Walston. He was married to
          Dorothy Jones, daughter of William Jones. It is believed that he was a
          farmer and that he lived in Dobbs Co. section, now known as Greene Co., N.C.
          This was probably in the late 1600's or early 1700's. It is believed
          William was born around 1675.

          According to a deed found in the Bertie County courthouse, this William
          Walston deeded a tract of land containing by estimation, five hundred and
          forty acres to Thomas Turner of the precinct and province. There is a
          footnote on this deed that says this land that he was now selling was
          conveyed to this William by a deed of gift from his grandfather, William
          Walston, and was dated July 21, 1719. A copy of this transaction can be
          found in Vol. E., page 418, titled "Walston to Turner".

          This William Walston also had a son named Phillip.

          Phillip Walston, Esquire

          Phillip Walston, Esquire, was the son of William Walston, Sr. It is
          believed that he was born around 1700 in Bertie County. His wife's name was
          Averilla, the same as that of his grandmother. They had a son by the name
          of William, Jr. They lived in Granville County. This period of time was
          around 1748, because Bertie County records show possible land holdings of
          the same Phillip. In 1748, Phillip Walston of Bertie County of Bertie
          County deeded some land to Ben Lewis.

          It has not been determined why the Esquire was added to Phillip's name.
          The word esquire is only a title of courtesy placed after a man's surname.

          John Walston

          John Walston was the son of William Walston, Jr. John married Winiferd
          Turner, daughter of David Turner. Winiferd's grandfather, James Turner, was
          governor of N.C. from 1802 to 1805. John and Winiferd had a son they called
          Phillip.

          In 1787, there was a deed (Indenture of Love) given to Thomas Sutton
          for the sum of twenty pounds by John and Winifred Walston. This was by
          estimation, eighty acres of land. It was also a tract of land formerly
          belonging to Phillip Walston, Jr. This deed can be founding Vol. M, page
          92, in the Bertie County courthouse. There is another deed titled "Walston
          to Turner", where John Walston sold David Tuner, a tract of land containing
          2 ½ acres that previously joined the David Turner lands. This can be found
          in Vol. M, page 361, in the Bertie County courthouse.

          There is another deed where Jane Lawrence of Bertie County and State of
          North Carolina, bargained and sold to John Walston a certain Negro girl,
          named Lucy, for the sum of twenty-five pounds. This transaction took place
          on June 25, 1791. This document can be found in Vol. P, page 228, in the
          Bertie County courthouse in Windsor, N.C.

          John Walston was born around 1746. Bertie County records verify that
          John lived in late 1700's. Three different records bear this out: land
          grants, bill of sale to Jane Lawrence, and an indenture to Thomas Sutton.
          At the age of 35, John served in the American Revolutionary War. He had a
          son by the name of Silas, who was the elder of the lot. Silas died in
          Edgecombe County in 1816. Records prove out the fact that Silas was the son
          of John and grandson of William Walston, Jr.

          Silas had several children, one being Levi. Levi and two other
          Walstons, Robert and Turner, (possible cousins to Levi) served in the Civil
          war.

          Records also show that Littleton had a son named John, who I am
          thinking, was named after his great-grandfather.

          Phillip Walston

          Phillip Walston was born in 1770 and died in 1843. He was the son of
          John and Winifred Walston. Phillip was married to Elizabeth or Dorothy
          Little. They had a son named Littleton, as well as several other children.

          Littleton Walston

          The following information is on Littleton Walston and a general
          breakdown of his children and grandchildren. This information was compiled
          by Mr. Charles Marks of Rocky Mount, NC, also a descendant of Littleton.

          Littleton Walston: Born c. 1789-died c. July 1874 - married Mary Johnson
          (?) who was born C. 1785 and died before 1873.

          Children:
          Jonas - Died before 1874

          Littleton
          Married (1) Delpha Cherry Jan 28, 1841
          (2) Eliza Cobb June 17 1845-died Oct 2, 1845.
          Child, Pheasonton Walston.

          Bennett
          Born c. 1824
          Married Sally Ann Pitt Jan 2, 1850 - died before 1860 - one child
          Elizabeth Bennett Walston who married Columbus Sessoms.

          Josiah
          Born c. 1822
          Married Sally Green Feb 8, 1836

          John
          Born Feb 8, 1813
          Married Margaret Cherry March 17, 1838 (1815-1874)
          Died Oct 1892
          8 children including Stephen Walston

          Rebecca
          Married Willie Cherry

          Robert
          Born April 27, 1828
          Married Marry Ann Miranda Webb Flemming (widow) Nov 18, 1858
          Died Mar 15, 1908 (Feb 20, 1830-Oct 2, 1905)
          Several Children including Billy Walston

          Amos
          Born August 30, 1816
          Died March 5, 1849
          Married Nancy Atkinson (April 26, 1815-bet. 1873-1876)
          Marriage date Jan 10, 1839
          Amos Children:

          Levi
          Born Nov 30, 1839
          Married Martha E Lewis Oct 1, 1865

          John
          Born May 30, 1841
          Married Susan Porter Sept 10, 1868
          (House in which he lived in for many years is Pender Museum.)

          Sarah
          Born June 16, 1844
          Married Thomas Lewis Oct 1, 1865
          Daughter Ida Livingston Lewis married Robert Elisha Pitt.

          Rebecca
          Born Jan 15, 1846
          Died Sept 3, 1914
          Married David Lawrence Batts - two children

          Nancy
          Born Aug 14, 1847

          Mary
          Born Feb 23, 1849
          Married Jeremiah Whitehead April 25, 1889
          Died Nov 18, 1922

          William Franklin
          Born Feb 16, 1843

          William Franklin Walston
          Born Feb 16, 1843
          Died Oct 6, 1923
          Married Feb 21, 1869 to Louisa Pitt, daughter of John R & Mary Moon Pitt
          (Jul 19, 1849-Jul 7, 1907)

          William and Louisa's children
          Amos Turner
          Born Dec 4, 1869
          Died Nov 2, 1847
          Married Lina Harrell Dec 24, 1890

          Dora
          Born Sept 5, 1871
          Died Jan 12, 1954
          Married George P. Sugg

          Effie
          Born April 2, 1875
          Died ?
          Married John Cobb

          Minnie
          Born Oct 1, 1878
          Died July 22, 1953
          Married Joseph Milton Marks

          Nancy
          Born Sept 27, 1881
          Died Mar 3, 1961

          John
          Born ?
          Died ?
          Married Margaret Cobb

          Mary Louisa
          Born Dec 17, 1886
          Died Nov 25, 1923
          Married Jack C. Norred

          James Franklin
          Died in infancy

          Nora
          Born Feb 14, 1889
          Died Jun 15, 1969
          Married Walter W. Bullock

          William Calvin
          Born Mar 18, 1891
          Died Nov 10, 1966
          Married Linda Johnson

          Robert Walston

          Robert Walston, my great-grandfather, was the son of Littleton Walston. He
          was born April 27, 1828, presumably near what is now Macclesfield. He
          married Mary Ann Fleming (widow) November 18, 1858. Of this marriage two
          children were born: Anna Walston - born Oct. 28, 1874, died 1930; and Billy
          Walston - born Sept. 3, 1859, died June 7, 1927.

          Robert's wife, Mary, had several children by her first husband and
          Robert and Mary raised them also. He was noted for taking in other
          children, Albert Harrell and Frank Summerlin, being two of them. He was a
          farmer and owned much property and farm land in the St. Lewis and
          Macclesfield areas. Robert died March 15, 1908, at the Walston Homeplace
          near Macclesfield. His wife, Mary, died Oct. 2, 1905. Both Robert and Mary
          are buried in the Walston family cemetery at the Homeplace near
          Macclesfield.

          W.B. (Billy) Walston

          Billy Walston, my grandfather, was the son of Robert Walston. Billy
          was born September 3, 1859. He was married to Mary Gardner. She was born
          July 17, 1860. Billy and Mary were farmers throughout their married life.
          Mary was also noted for her excellent cooking. They lived near Macclesfield
          their early years of married life and then when Billy's father, Robert
          passed away in 1908, they moved to St. Lewis on the Oates Place which had
          been owned by Robert. They remained there until their deaths. of this
          marriage seven children were born.

          1. Robert Arthur (Bob) Walston was born Oct 7, 1882 and died 1961. He
          married Hazel Clark, daughter of Edward and Martha Clark of St. Lewis. She
          was born Dec 1, 1882 and died in 1980. They had eight children.
          1. Edward Lee - Oct. 14, 1912-May, 1940. (died in service, never married).
          2. Hazel Ruby - June 2, 1914 - Dec 8, 1976. Married Monroe Wilson Harrell.
          They had 3 children: Edward Clark, Annie Hazel and Brenda Susan.
          3. Margaret Anna - Feb 6, 1916. Married Leroy Varnell. They had one child,
          Ronald Lee, who died as an infant.
          4. Fred Wooten - Aug 5, 1918 - July 10, 1944. Fred died in action during
          WWII. He never married.
          5. William Henry (Billy) - Sept 24, 1920. Married Lorraine Galloway. They
          have three children: Hazel Speight (May 7, 1954); Velma Lorraine (Aug 6,
          1955); Robert Joseph (Bobby) (July 4, 1956).
          6. Clyde Clark - July 5, 1922 - Oct 28. 1923
          7. Arthur Miller - Oct 15, 1926. Married Mannie Lee Owens. They have seven
          children: Douglas Arthur, Fred Wayne, Martha Patricia (Pat), Arthur Ray,
          Brenda Lee, Robert, and Edna Marie
          8. Shelby Clark - Nov 22, 1935. Never married.

          Lee Walston - Dec 8, 1889. In 1913, he married Ora Lily Lewis, daughter of
          John I. and Fannie Lewis of St. Lewis. Lee was a farmer and merchant of the
          St. Lewis community. He moved to this community from near Macclesfield in
          1908 and remained there until his death in June of 1958. Ora was born in
          St. Lewis and lived there until her death on July 12, 1975. Of this
          marriage five children were born:
          1. Lee, Jr. - Nov 24, 1915. Married Belietha Graham on Dec 28, 1954.
          Belietha was born on January 17, 1925.
          2. Ora Lily (Teenie) - Born July 13, 1921. Married Tom Smith on August 16,
          1948. Tom was born on Jan 2, 1916. They have two children: Glynn Ora, born
          Nov. 18, 1948 and Tommy, born Oct 16, 1951. Glynn is married to Dennis Sugg
          and they have three sons: Jeremy, age 7; Brandon, age 4, and Jonathan, age
          3 months.
          3. Mary Francis - Born Oct 30, 1919. Married Dick Denton the first time and
          they had one child, Mary Jane, born Oct. 16, 1943. She married Paul Worrell
          on Jan 12, 1957. Paul was born on July 25, 1930. They have one son, Paul
          Owens (Chip), born July 15, 1959. Paul adopted Mary Jane after the marriage
          to her mother.
          4. Fred Lewis - born Sept 13, 1917. Married Mary Lehmann on May 5, 1945.
          She was born June 27, 1922 in Lenoir Co. They have three children: John
          Lewis, born Sept 28, 1946. ON August 4, 1978, he married Betty Jo Gainey,
          who was born on June 22, 1954; Frances Ann, born Sept 20, 1947 and Mary Lou,
          born Feb 6, 1953. In Sept., 1970 Mary Lou married Daniel Warren Cole, who
          was born on July 28, 1951. They have one son Christopher Warren, born April
          29, 1971.
          5. Wilbur Ray - born Nov. 4, 1925. First married Sue Gardner. On Oct 10,
          1981, Wilbur married Leola Crocker Dawson. She was born on Aug 25, 1931.

          Lessie Genera - born May 6, 1887 and died September 1967. She married John
          Daniel Edmondson, born Oct. 14, 1887 and died March 2, 1956. They had three
          children:
          1. Roland - July 7, 1915. He married Ruby Green Beach. They had one
          daughter, Peggy Beach. Ruby died July 7, 1952. Roland's second marriage
          was to Blanche Bridgers, who was born April 12, 1918. They had three
          children: Martha Wright, born Dec. 27, 1957; Mary Roland, born Nov. 25,
          1958 who is now married to Tommy Ray Sherrod; and Betty John, born January
          1962 and died the same month.
          2. William Joseph - born Dec. 5, 1916 and died April 13, 1973. Joe, as he
          was better known, first married Mary Louise Lawrence, who was born on Sept.
          11, 1912 and died April 30, 1962. They had two children. Joe's second
          marriage was to Hazel Rodgers Pittman. His children by his first wife, Mary
          Louise, are Mary Lou, born Oct 7, 1939 and William Joseph, Jr. (Little
          Joe.), born August 5, 1942. Mary Lou married Norman Wayne Clark. They have
          one son, Norman Dwayne, born May 2, 1960. Little Joe married Jean Hooks
          Williams, who was born June 1, 1942. They have three children: Pamela
          Dawn, born August 25, 1965; Mary Beth, born August 10, 1967; and Kriston
          Nicole, born July 30, 1975.
          3. Joyce - Born August 6, 1932. First married Clarence B. Bunting Jr. They
          had two children: Janero, born August 8, 1952 and Clarence B. Bunting III,
          born Jan 5, 1954. Her second marriage was to Thomas Lester Tolson, Jr.
          They had three Children: twin boys, Thomas Allan (Tommy) and John Daniel
          (Johnny), born March 22, 1960; and Brenda Joyce (Joy), born August 21, 1961.
          4. Mary - married Gordon Pearsall and Louis Pardo. She was a nurse in her
          younger days. She died in New York in 1970. She is buried in the W.B.
          Walston Family Cemetery near St. Lewis.
          5. Albert (Rab) - never married. He spent most of his adult life on his
          farm near St. Lewis. Died in May 1960. Buried in the W.B. Walston Family
          cemetery near St. Lewis.
          6. Martin Walston - Never married. Died from results of a tree falling on
          him. Buried in the Walston and Reason Cemetery in Macclesfield.
          7. Fred - born in 1895. Married Bessie Coker. They had two sons, Copeland
          and Simmons. Fred died on May 5, 1953. He is buried in the W.B. Walston
          family cemetery near St. Lewis.

          Fred Walston

          Fred was the son of Billy and Mary Gardner Walston. He was born Sept
          5, 1895 and died May 5, 1953 at the Oates Place near St. Lewis. Fred lived
          most of his adult life in the St. Lewis community. He was a farmer and
          Veteran of WWI. He married Elizabeth Lavinia (Bessie) Coker. They had two
          sons: Copeland, born Feb 9, 1930 and Simmons, born July 3, 1931.

          Copeland first married Pauline Gurganus, who died on Jan 13, 1960. He
          later married Mary Wilson Townsend, born July 14, 1939, in Norfolk,
          Virginia. They got married on May 20, 1974. Mary has a daughter Elizabeth
          Kirk (Betsy) Pannill, born July 20, 1961, by a previous marriage.

          As for Simmons, he has never married and it seems to be little hope
          that he will. So unless some miracle takes place, this brings an end to his
          direct line of descendants.

          The Scotland Neck Walstons are a main line of Josiah Walston, son of
          Littleton Walston, brother of my great-grandfather Robert Walston.
          (Great-uncle to my line of Walstons).

          The Pinetops Walstons are a main line of Amos Walston, son of Littleton
          Walston, brother of my great-grandfather Robert Walston.

          The Walstonburg Walstons are a main line of the Phillip Walstons which
          are in my main line. Phillip was my fourth great-grandfather.

          The Wilson Walstons are in close relation to the Josiah Walston
          (Scotland Neck family), and also of my great-grandfather, Robert. I'm
          thinking Robert would be a great-great uncle to the David Walston set of
          Wilson.

          Josiah Walston, son of Littleton, married Sarah Elizabeth Green. She was a
          descendant of the Mayflower stock from New England. Sarah's brother, Cyril
          D. Green from Texas, was said to have planted the first oranges in Texas.
          Sarah was born in September 18__ and died September 9, 1872.

          Josh Walston lived in Halifax district and in the 1790 census had four
          young sons and two daughters, with nineteen slaves.

          There was a William Walston in Bertie County NC, in 1708 and in 1735
          that was a member of St. Paul's Church, Chowan Precinct. He held 540 acres
          of land in 1735. He was married to Dorothy Jones, daughter of William
          Jones.

          The above information has not been confirmed by my research but was taken
          from the family tree of Marion Walston of Scotland Neck.

          James F. Walston Bible (JWB)
          Exact copy of Information contained therein

          Births
          Pheasonton Walston the son of Littleton Walston and Delphia his wife was
          borned on the 16th day of November in the year of our Lord 1841.

          Nancy Walston the daughter of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was borned the
          14th of August in the year of our Lord 1847.

          Leavy Walston the son of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was born in the
          year of our Lord Nov. 30th 1839.

          John Walston the son of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was borned in the
          year of our Lord May 30, 1841.

          William F. Walston the son of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was born the
          16th of Feby. In the year of our Lord 1843.

          Sally Walston daughter of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was borned in the
          year of our Lord June 16, 1844.

          Rebeaka the daughter of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was born the 15 of
          Jan. in the year of our Lord 1846.

          Dora Walston daughter of W.F. Walston and Louisa his wife was born Sept. 5th
          1871.

          Effie Walston, daughter of W.F. Walston and Louisa his wife was born April
          2nd, 1875.

          Amos T. Walston the son of W.F. Walston and Louisa his wife was born Dec. ??
          18??.

          Minnie Walston the daughter of W.F. Walston was born Oct. 1, 1878.

          Nancy Walston was born Sept. 27, /80

          Robert C. (?) Walston the son of Levi Walston and Martha his wife was borned
          the 29th of June in the year of our Lord 1866.

          Mattie L. Walston the daughter of Levi Walston and Martha his wife was
          borned May 15, A.D. 186_.

          Tela L. Lewis the daughter of James T. Lewis and Sarah his wife was borned
          on 6th of March A.D. 1867.

          Levi F. (?) Walston the son of John Walston and Susan his wife was born June
          (?) 16th 18)_?

          Amos Walston was borned the 30 of August 1816.
          Nancy his wife was born the 26th of April 1815.

          Deaths
          Delphy Walston the wife of Littleton Walston died in the March 16th in the
          year of our Lord 1843.

          Littleton Walston died October 2 the day of Lord 1845.

          Amos Walston departed this life the 5th day of March 1849.

          Marriages

          Amos Walston and Nancy was married in the year of our Lord Jan. 10, 1839.

          Levi the son of Amos Walston was married to Martha E Lewis the 1 day of
          October 1865.

          James F. Lewis the son of R.L. Lewis was married to Sarah Walston the 1st
          day of October 1865.

          John Walston the son of Amos Walston was married to Susan Porter Setpt.
          10/68.

          W.F. Walston son of Amos Walston and Louisa Pitt was married Feb. 21, 1869.

          Will of Littleton Walston

          (True copy of the original document filed in the North Carolina State
          Archives except that obvious misspellings have been corrected and some
          punctuation has been added.)

          State of North Carolina, Edgecombe County.

          I, Littleton Walston, being of sound mind and memory and considering the
          uncertainty of this frail and transitory life do therefore make, ordain,
          publish, and declare this to be my Last Will and Testament.

          That is to say:

          First - After all my lawful debts are paid and discharged, the residue of my
          estate, real and personal, to be sold by my executors to the best advantage
          and the net proceeds to be equally divided between all my children viz.
          First Jonas Walston, deceased for his children
          " Littleton Walston, deceased for his children.
          " Bennett Walston, deceased for his children
          " Amos Walston, deceased for his children
          " Josiah Walston and John Walston and Rebecca Cherry and William
          Walston and Robert Walston

          Being nine in number legal heirs of my estate.

          Likewise I made, constitute and appoint my sons John Walston and Robert
          Walston to be executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking
          all former wills by me made.

          In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my
          seal this 24th of July in the year of one thousand eight hundred and seventy
          three.

          Littleton Walston

          The above instrument was subscribed by the said Littleton Walston in
          our presence and acknowledged by him to each of us or ??.

          Witness

          Bennett P. Pitt - Edgecombe County
          J.F. (or J.T.) Weaver - Edgecombe County

          Will of John R. Pitt

          (True copy of the original document which is found in the North Carolina
          State Archives, except that obvious misspellings have been corrected and
          some punctuation has been added).

          In the name of God Amen.

          I, John R. Pitt of the county of Edgecombe do make and ordain this my Last
          Will and Testament.

          I lend unto my wife, Polly Pitt, a portion of my land whereon I now
          live known as the Creek Track - beginning at two large persimmon trees in
          the lane running to Town Creek, running with the cross fence to a small
          drain (?) Robert Pitt's line south to the big branch and also the field
          known as the Upper Creek Field - during her lifetime. I also give unto my
          wife, Polly Pitt, provision for herself and two others and for two horses to
          be allotted to her by three disinterested men of her own choice. I also
          give my wife, Polly, one horse by the name of Jo and one mule by the name of
          Beck, three feather beds and furniture, one sow and pigs, one cart and
          wheels, and all my plowing implements, all the setting (?) chairs, one
          buffet, one sideboard, and all the chests and tables, and all the kitchen
          furniture and cooking utensils.

          I give and bequeath to my daughter, Nancy Pitt, one feather bed and
          furniture and one hundred dollars in money.

          I give unto my daughter, Louisa Walston, seventy-five dollars in money.

          I give unto my daughter, Mary Atkinson, twenty-five dollars in money.

          I give my daughter, Sally Ann Walston, ten dollars in money.
          I give my daughter, Sookey, five dollars in money.

          The money that I have allotted to my daughters is not to be paid until all
          my just debts are paid.

          I give and bequeath to my son, Robert Pitt, all my land on which I now live
          including that part which I have lent to my wife, Polly, after her death
          together with the Piney Woods Tract, known as the Dunn Tract to have and to
          hold to him and his lawful heirs of his own body forever, though not subject
          to any debt that he or his heirs has or may hereafter contract. I also give
          and bequeath to my son, Robert Pitt, all my perishable property of every
          description that is not otherwise disposed of.

          My will further is that he, my son Robert Pitt, should pay all my just debts
          that I may leave unpaid and the money legacies to my daughters.

          I now make and appoint my son, Robert Pitt my executor to this my last will
          and testament.

          Witnessed by:
          D. Pender
          __Gatlin (Signed) John R. Pitt

          This 18th day of Jany. 1871

          In Probate Court December 11, 1871

          The following information was abstracted from the book Province of North
          Carolina 1663-1729 - Abstracts of Lord Patents, by Margaret M. Hofmann:

          George Walston
          March 9, 1717 - 240 acres Chowan - Branch of Deep Run Joins Phillip Walston

          Phillip Walston, Esquire
          April 5, 1720 - 600 acres Chowan - N.E. side of Cassia River
          July 20, 1717 - 350 acres on Kesiah River
          Oct 8, 1717 - 640 acres Chowan Precinct - Bear Swamp. Joins William Walston
          Jan. 19 1715/16 - 450 acres Chowan Precinct - Joins William Walston. Raquise
          Swamp.

          William Walston
          April 17, 1697 - 223 acres Chowan Precinct - Mattaconock Swamp
          March 4, 1711/12 - 530 acres Chowan Precinct - Mattacnock Swamp
          Oct 19, 1716 - 640 acres Mattaconock Creek - Welches Creek
          Jan 19. 1715/16 - 540 acres Chowan Precinct - Raquise Swamp (this was deeded
          to grandson William on July 21, 1719, who later sold it to Thomas Turner.)
        • Cvbeck
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
            Me again, Simmons Walston's information in Family Tree Format. :)

            Thanks, Charlotte Beck

            **************************
            Descendants of Andrew Walston

            Generation No. 1

            1. ANDREW1 WALSTON was born Bef. 1635, and died Dead in Piney Island,
            Norfolk County, Virginia. He married ANNIE HOGINSON, daughter of JASPER
            HOGINSON. She was born Unknown, and died Dead in Piney Island, Norfolk
            County, Virginia.

            Notes for ANDREW WALSTON:
            **(Note1) Information gathered & originally created in book by Simmons
            Walston, St. Lewis Community, NC. in 1983.

            **(Note2) Charlotte Beck transcribed and placed in FTW Database August 2002.

            The following is the main Walston line of the writer, Simmons Walston. Many
            hours of research through numerous bible recordings, deeds, wills, court
            records, marriage and death certificates, census, various documents, and
            findings recording at the Archives building in Raleigh, N.C., this writer
            has come up with his main Walston line beginning around 1653.

            The first white immigrants began to move into Virginia in 1607 and the first
            black immigrants began to move in Virginia in 1619. The first record of any
            Walston (Walstone, etc.) appeared in Norfolk County at a place called Piney
            Island about 16?? This location today this eastward of Jamestown, Va.
            According to the Walston Coat of Arms, the Walstons came to this country
            from their native England. Several generations followed the Virginia
            Rivers running southward into Carolina, especially the Chowan, to Edenton,
            N.C. (Chowan County). Later generations began to break up in the 1700's and
            move on to Bertie County and to old Beaufort County Pitt Co.) and to Dobbs
            Co, part of which today is Greene County, N.C. along stay in this section,
            they began to move on to other counties in North Carolina and other
            provinces.

            It is known that all the early settlers were either fisherman or planters,
            and mostly planters, since arriving in America. This was derived from their
            deed records and residences at various times.

            Although much knowledge remains to be discovered yet, it is hoped there is
            enough information in this report to at least give the basic facts of the
            history and character of the Walston's and the directions of their course of
            life up to the present time, January 19, 1983 at St. Lewis, Edgecombe
            County, N.C.

            The following is a sketch of each Walston Generation in my direct lineage as
            I have found it. I have sketched information from the first knowledge of
            the Walston line to the present time.

            Simmons Walston
            St. Lewis
            Edgecombe County, NC.
            Jane Walston:
            In a book at the Archives building in Raleigh, N.C., showing Immigrants to
            America, 1600-1700, written by John Camden Hotten and called for short,
            Hotten's Persons, etc. is the name Jane Walston, age nineteen. The name
            came from a passenger list on the ship "Truelove" in September, 1635. This
            is the first account of any Walston's coming to the United States of
            America. This is all the information that has located on this particular
            person.
            Andrew Walston:
            Andrew Walston was the first Walston of my (Simmons Walston) direct line to
            appear in this country. He was at Piney Island, Norfolk County Virginia
            around 1635. Today this section is eastward of Jamestown, Va. area. Andrew
            had a son named Joseph. It is believed that Andrew was a fisherman or
            farmer or both, because of the location that he settled in. This section of
            Piney Island was later known as Walston Island. Andrew was married to Ann
            Hoginson, daughter of Jasper Hoginson. This information on Andrew was found
            on page 286, Vol. 1, in the book titled Cavaliers and Pioneers. This book
            can be found in the Archives building in Raleigh, N.C.

            The following is a list of grandfathers of this writer, Simmons Walston,
            beginning with his grandfather and counting backwards to his twelfth
            great-grandfather.
            W.B. "Billy" Walston
            Robert Walston
            Littleton Walston
            Phillip Walston
            John Walston
            William Walston, Jr.
            Phillip Walston, Esquire
            William Walston, Sr.
            Phillip Walston, Sr.
            William Walston
            Thomas Walston
            Joseph Walston
            Andrew Walston

            Child of ANDREW WALSTON and ANNIE HOGINSON is:
            2. i. JOSEPH2 WALSTON, b. Unknown, Norfolk County Virginia; d. Dead, Prince
            Ann County Virginia.

            Generation No. 2

            2. JOSEPH2 WALSTON (ANDREW1) was born Unknown in Norfolk County Virginia,
            and died Dead in Prince Ann County Virginia. He married JOAN GRIFFIN,
            daughter of THOMAS GRIFFIN. She was born Unknown in Norfolk County
            Virginia, and died Dead in Prince Ann County Virginia.

            Notes for JOSEPH WALSTON:
            Joseph Walston was an early settler of Norfolk County, Virginia are in the
            mid to late 1600's. Not much is known of his personal life except that he
            married Joan Griffin, daughter of Thomas Griffin. They had a son by the
            name of Thomas. Records show that he had a land patent, so it is believed
            that he was a farmer. This land patent was from Prince Anne Co. Virginia.
            This information was found in Vol. 1 of Cavaliers and Pioneers at the
            Archives Building in Raleigh, N.C.

            Child of JOSEPH WALSTON and JOAN GRIFFIN is:
            3. i. THOMAS3 WALSTON, b. Unknown, Surry County, Virginia; d. Dead.

            Generation No. 3

            3. THOMAS3 WALSTON (JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born Unknown in Surry County,
            Virginia, and died Dead. He married SARAH MORSE Bef. 1620, daughter of
            CAPT. FRANCIS MORSE. She was born Unknown, and died Dead.

            Notes for THOMAS WALSTON:
            Thomas Walston was the son of Joseph Walston. He was married to Sarah
            Morse, daughter of Captain Francis Morse. They had a son they called
            William. Thomas lived in Surry County, Virginia. section, which at that
            time (1670) was known for their fishing, boat making and farming. He was
            located at a place called Surry Plantation. He held a patent from Norfolk,
            Prince Anne County, Va. This information can be found in Cavaliers and
            Pioneers Vol. 3 at the Archives Building in Raleigh, N.C.

            Child of THOMAS WALSTON and SARAH MORSE is:
            4. i. WILLIAM4 WALSTON, b. Abt. 1620, Norfolk County Virginia; d. Dead.

            Generation No. 4

            4. WILLIAM4 WALSTON (THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1620 in
            Norfolk County Virginia, and died Dead. He married ELIZABETH PETERS,
            daughter of JAMES PETERS. She was born Unknown in Norfolk County Virginia.

            Notes for WILLIAM WALSTON:
            William Walston, Son of Thomas Walston, was born around the early to mid
            1600's. It is presumed that he followed the trade of his ancestors Andrew,
            Joseph, and Thomas as farmers in Norfolk County, Virginia area. He was
            married to Elizabeth Peters, daughter of James Peters. hey had a son named
            Phillip, who was born in 1648. This information was found in Vol. 3 of
            Cavaliers and Pioneers.

            It is believed that William was the first, or among the first, Walstons to
            immigrate to North Carolina probably in the mid 1600's.

            From a deed found in the Bertie County Courthouse, I find that William gave
            as a gift, 540 acres of land to his grandson, also by the name of William.
            This transaction took place on July 21, 1719.

            Child of WILLIAM WALSTON and ELIZABETH PETERS is:
            5. i. PHILLIP5 WALSTON, b. 1648, Chowan County, NC; d. Dead.

            Generation No. 5

            5. PHILLIP5 WALSTON (WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1)1 was born 1648 in
            Chowan County, NC2, and died Dead. He married AVERILLA. She was born
            Unknown, and died Dead.

            Notes for PHILLIP WALSTON:
            Phillip Walston, was the son of William Walston. He was listed as being
            from Chowan County, Granville County, N.C. He was also listed as being
            Sheriff of that county in the early 1700's. This information was found in
            Cavaliers and Pioneers in the Archives Building (Vol. 1, 2, & 3). Phillip
            had a son by the name of William, also.

            Phillip Walston was given a land grant on the north side of the Cashie River
            containing six hundred acres lying in Chowan Precinct. This was given under
            the seal of the Colony, the first day of April, 1720. A full copy of this
            land grant has been obtained from the Bertie County Courthouse in Windsor,
            N.C. Several deeds have been located where this Phillip disposed of
            different sections of his land. One of these can be found in Vol. E on page
            392, where Benjamin Lewis bought a parcel of land containing by estimation
            one hundred acres lying on the south side of Rockquist Swamp in the
            Province. He also deeded land to a James McDowell in November, 1747.
            Phillip Walston died soon after this transaction.

            Phillip's will to his wife and children is recorded in Vol F. page 325 in
            the Bertie County Courthouse. The people included in his will are: his
            wife, Averilla; his children, George, Henry, Easter, Jean, Mary, Phillips
            and grandson Phillip, on of his deceased son, William. To his wife, he left
            half of his plantation. To Henry, he left a certain tract of land
            containing four hundred acres and a Negro boy. To his son, Phillip, he gave
            his Negro fellow, called Prince, and one boy called Jack. To George, he
            gave four hundred acres of land on his plantation in which he was already
            living. He also gave him a Negro boy named Luan. To Easter, he gave two
            hundred acres of land lying in Bertie County upon the South side of Bear
            Swamp Marsh and a Negro girl called Vilott. To Jean, he gave two hundred
            acres of land upon the Bear Swamp Marsh and one Negro girl called Cake. To
            Mary, He gave one Negro woman called Jenny. Phillip also gave his three
            daughters, Easter, Jean and Mary, and equal share of his stock of cows and
            sheep. To his grandson, Phillip, son of William and Elizabeth, he gave a
            Negro girl called Rose. The date of this will was not plain enough to read.

            There is also a deed titled, "Walston to Walston" where George Walston
            received his share of four hundred acres, after the death of his father,
            Phillip. This can be found in Vol. 6, page 40 in the Bertie County
            Courthouse. There is also a deed where Phillip is assigning part of his
            property to Joshua Wilkinson for a sum of thirty pounds. This can be found
            in Vol. E, page 434 in the Bertie County Courthouse.

            Another deed has been found where Constance Williamson made Phillip Walston
            power of attorney for three hundred acres of land sold by her husband, James
            Williamson to William Battle. This business was transacted by Phillip's son
            William, on the twenty-seventh day of April, 1720. This document is signed
            by William Walston. This can be found in Vol. B, Page 417, in the Bertie
            County Courthouse.

            Phillip was born in 1648.

            More About PHILLIP WALSTON:
            Land Records: Bertie County Courthouse, Windsor NC

            Children of PHILLIP WALSTON and AVERILLA are:
            i. GEORGE6 WALSTON, b. Aft. 1669; d. Dead.
            ii. HENRY WALSTON, b. Abt. 1670; d. Dead.
            iii. EASTER WALSTON, b. Abt. 1671; d. Dead.
            iv. JEAN WALSTON, b. Abt. 1672; d. Dead.
            v. MARY WALSTON, b. Abt. 1673; d. Dead.
            vi. PHILLIP WALSTON, b. Abt. 1674; d. Dead.
            6. vii. WILLIAM SR WALSTON, b. Abt. 1675, Dobbs County (Greene County) NC;
            d. Dead.

            Generation No. 6

            6. WILLIAM SR6 WALSTON (PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was
            born Abt. 1675 in Dobbs County (Greene County) NC, and died Dead. He
            married DOROTHY JONES, daughter of WILLIAM JONES. She was born Abt. 1675 in
            Dobbs County (Greene County) NC, and died Dead.

            Notes for WILLIAM SR WALSTON:
            William Walston Sr, was the son of Phillip Walston. He married to Dorothy
            Jones, daughter of William Jones. It is believed that he was a farmer and
            that he lived in the Dobbs County Section, now known as Greene County, N.C.
            This was probably in the late 1600's or early 1700's. It is believed
            William was born around 1675.

            According to a deed found in the Bertie County Courthouse, this William
            Walston deeded a tract of land containing by estimation, five hundred and
            forty acres to Thomas Turner of the precinct and province. There is a
            footnote on this deed that says this land, that he was now selling, was
            conveyed to this William by a deed of gift from his grandfather, William
            Walston, and was dated July 2, 1719. A copy of this transaction can be
            found in Vol. E, pages 418, titled "Walston to Turner".

            This William Walston also had a son named Phillip.

            Child of WILLIAM WALSTON and DOROTHY JONES is:
            7. i. PHILLIP ESQUIRE7 WALSTON, b. Abt. 1700, Bertie County; d. Dead.

            Generation No. 7

            7. PHILLIP ESQUIRE7 WALSTON (WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3,
            JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1700 in Bertie County, and died Dead. He
            married AVERILLLA. She was born Abt. 1700, and died Dead.

            Notes for PHILLIP ESQUIRE WALSTON:
            Phillip Walston, Esquire, was the son of William Walston, Sr. It is
            believed that he was born around 1700 in Bertie County. His wife's name was
            Averilla, the same as that of his grandmother. They had a son by the name
            of William, Jr. They lived in Granville County. This period of time was
            around 1748, because Bertie County records show possible land holdings of
            the same Phillip. In 1748, Phillip Walston of Bertie County, deeded some
            land to Ben Lewis.

            It has not determined why the Esquire was added to Phillip's name. The word
            esquire is only a title of courtesy placed after a man's surname.

            Child of PHILLIP WALSTON and AVERILLLA is:
            8. i. WILLIAM JR8 WALSTON, b. Abt. 1725; d. Dead.

            Generation No. 8

            8. WILLIAM JR8 WALSTON (PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4,
            THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1725, and died Dead. He married
            ELIZABETH MOORE, daughter of EPAPHARDITUS MOORE. She was born Abt. 1725,
            and died Dead.

            Notes for WILLIAM JR WALSTON:
            William Walston, Jr. was the son of Phillip Walston, Esquire. He was born
            around 1725. He married Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Epapharditus Moore.
            They had a son, John Walston, born in 1746.

            Information on Epapharditus Moore can be found in Grimes N.C. Wills.

            Child of WILLIAM WALSTON and ELIZABETH MOORE is:
            9. i. JOHN9 WALSTON, b. 1746; d. Dead.

            Generation No. 9

            9. JOHN9 WALSTON (WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5,
            WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born 1746, and died Dead. He
            married WINIFRED TURNER, daughter of DAVID TURNER. She was born Abt. 1750,
            and died Dead.

            Notes for JOHN WALSTON:
            John Walston was the son of William Walston, Jr. John married Winifred
            Turner, daughter of David Turner. Winifred grandfather, James Turner, was
            Governor of N.C. from 1802 to 1805. John and Winifred had a son they called
            Phillip.

            In 1787, there was a deed (Indenture of Love) given to Thomas Sutton for the
            sum of twenty pounds by John and Winifred Walston. This was by estimation,
            eighty acres of land. It is also a tract of land formerly belonging to
            Phillip Walston, Jr. This deed can be found in Vol. M, page 92, in the
            Bertie County Courthouse. There is another deed titled "Walston to Turner",
            where John Walston sold to David Turner, a tract of land containing 2 and
            1/2 acres that previously joined the David Turner lands. This can be found
            in Vol. M, page 361, in the Bertie County Courthouse.

            There is another deed where Jane Lawrence of Bertie County and State of
            North Carolina, bargained and sold to John Walston a certain Negro girl,
            named Lucy, for the sum of twenty-five pounds. This transaction took place
            on June 25, 1791. This document can be found in Vol. P, page 228 in the
            Bertie County Courthouse in Windsor, NC.

            John Walston was born around 1746. Bertie County records verify that John
            lived in the late 1700's. Three different records bear this out: land
            grants, bill of sale to Jane Lawrence, and an indenture to Thomas Sutton.
            At the age of 35, John served in the American Revolutionary War. He had a
            son by the name of Silas, who was the elder of the lot. Silas died in
            Edgecombe County in 1816. Records prove out the fact that Silas was the son
            of John and grandson of William Walston, Jr. Silas had several children,
            one being Levi. Levi and two other Walston's, Robert and Turner, (possible
            cousins of Levi) served in the Civil War.

            Records also show that Littleton had a son named John, who I am thinking was
            named after his great-grandfather.

            Children of JOHN WALSTON and WINIFRED TURNER are:
            10. i. PHILLIP10 WALSTON, b. 1770; d. 1843.
            11. ii. SILAS WALSTON, b. Unknown; d. 1816, Edgecombe County, NC.

            Generation No. 10

            10. PHILLIP10 WALSTON (JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born 1770, and died 1843.
            He married DOROTHY "DOT" LITTLE.

            Notes for PHILLIP WALSTON:
            Walstonburg NC Walstons originate from this line.

            Child of PHILLIP WALSTON and DOROTHY LITTLE is:
            12. i. LITTLETON11 WALSTON, b. Abt. 1789; d. Abt. July 1874.

            11. SILAS10 WALSTON (JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born Unknown, and died
            1816 in Edgecombe County, NC.

            Child of SILAS WALSTON is:
            i. LEVI11 WALSTON.

            Generation No. 11

            12. LITTLETON11 WALSTON (PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7,
            WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1)3 was born Abt.
            1789, and died Abt. July 1874. He married MARY JOHNSON.

            Notes for LITTLETON WALSTON:
            The following information is on Littleton Walston and a general breakdown of
            his children and grandchildren. This information was compiled by Mr.
            Charles Marks of Rocky Mount, NC; also a descendant of Littleton Walston.

            Children of LITTLETON WALSTON and MARY JOHNSON are:
            13. i. JOHN12 WALSTON, b. August 1813; d. October 1892.
            14. ii. AMOS WALSTON, b. August 30, 1816; d. March 05, 1849.
            iii. JOSIAH WALSTON, b. Abt. 1822; d. Dead; m. SALLY GREEN, February 08,
            1836; b. Unknown; d. Dead.

            Notes for JOSIAH WALSTON:
            This line of Walstons resided mainly in Scotland Neck, North Carolina Area.
            Also, Wilson County Walston's are in close relation to the Josiah Walston
            line.
            **(Note) Following information from Family Tree of Marion Walston of
            Scotland Neck, a direct descendant of Josiah Walston.

            Josiah Walston, son of Littleton married Sarah Elizabeth Green. She was a
            descendant of the Mayflower stock from New England. Sarah's brother, Cyril
            D. Green from Texas, was said to have planted the first oranges in Texas.
            Sarah was born in September, 18?? and died September 9, 1872.

            John Walston lived in Halifax district and in the 1790 Census had four young
            sons and two daughters, with nineteen slaves.

            There was a William Walston in Bertie County, NC in 1708 and in 1735 that
            was a member of St. Paul's Church, Chowan Precinct. He held 540 acres of
            land in 1735. He was married to Dorothy Jones, daughter of William Jones.

            The above information has not been confirmed by my research (Simmons
            Walston), but was taken from the family tree of Marion Walston of Scotland
            Neck.

            iv. WILLIAM WALSTON, b. Abt. 1823; d. Dead; m. PENETTA PEEL, December 26,
            1846; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            15. v. BENNETT WALSTON, b. Abt. 1824; d. Bef. 1860.
            16. vi. ROBERT WALSTON, b. April 27, 1828; d. March 15, 1908.
            vii. JONAS WALSTON, b. Unknown; d. Bef. 1874.
            17. viii. LITTLETON WALSTON, b. Unknown; d. October 02, 1845.
            ix. REBECCA WALSTON, b. Unknown; d. Dead; m. WILLIE CHERRY; b. Unknown; d.
            Dead.

            Generation No. 12

            13. JOHN12 WALSTON (LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP
            ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was
            born August 1813, and died October 1892. He married MARGARET CHERRY March
            17, 1838. She was born 1815, and died April 1874.

            Notes for JOHN WALSTON:
            Had 8 children including Stephen Walston.

            Child of JOHN WALSTON and MARGARET CHERRY is:
            i. STEPHEN13 WALSTON, b. Unknown.

            14. AMOS12 WALSTON (LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP
            ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was
            born August 30, 1816, and died March 05, 1849. He married NANCY ATKINSON
            January 10, 1839. She was born April 26, 1815, and died Bet. 1873 - 1876.

            Notes for AMOS WALSTON:
            Amos Walston Descendants resided mainly in the Pinetops, NC area.

            Children of AMOS WALSTON and NANCY ATKINSON are:
            i. LEVI13 WALSTON, b. November 30, 1839; d. Dead; m. MARTHA E LEWIS,
            October 01, 1865; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            ii. JOHN WALSTON, b. May 30, 1841; d. Dead; m. SUSAN PORTER, September 10,
            1868; b. Unknown; d. Dead.

            Notes for JOHN WALSTON:
            House they lived in is Pender Museum.

            18. iii. WILLIAM FRANKLIN WALSTON, b. February 16, 1843; d. October 06,
            1923.
            19. iv. SARAH WALSTON, b. June 16, 1844; d. Dead.
            v. REBECCA WALSTON, b. January 15, 1846; d. September 03, 1914; m. DAVID
            LAWRENCE BATTS; b. Unknown; d. Dead.

            Notes for REBECCA WALSTON:
            Had two children.

            vi. NANCY WALSTON, b. August 14, 1847; d. Dead.
            vii. MARY WALSTON, b. February 23, 1849; d. November 18, 1922; m. JEREMIAH
            WHITEHEAD, April 23, 1889; b. Unknown; d. Dead.

            15. BENNETT12 WALSTON (LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP
            ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was
            born Abt. 1824, and died Bef. 1860. He married SALLY ANN PITT January 02,
            1850.

            Child of BENNETT WALSTON and SALLY PITT is:
            i. ELIZABETH BENNETT13 WALSTON, b. Unknown; m. COLUMBUS SESSOMS; b.
            Unknown; d. Dead.

            16. ROBERT12 WALSTON (LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP
            ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was
            born April 27, 1828, and died March 15, 1908. He married MARY ANN MIRANDA
            WEBB FLEMING. She was born February 20, 1830, and died October 02, 1905.

            Notes for ROBERT WALSTON:
            Several children including Billy Walston.

            Robert Walston, My (Simmons Walston) Great-grandfather, was the son of
            Littleton Walston. He was born April 27, 1828, presumably near what is now
            Macclesfield. He married Mary Ann Fleming (widow) November 18, 1858. Of
            this marriage two children were born: Anna Walston - born Oct. 28, 1874,
            died 1930 and Billy Walston - born Sept. 3, 1859, died June 7, 1927.

            Robert's wife, Mary, had several children by her first husband and Robert
            and Mary raised them also. He was noted for taking in other children,
            Albert Harrell and Frank Summerlin, being two of them. He was a farmer and
            owned much property and farm land in the St. Lewis and Macclesfield areas.
            Robert died March 15, 1908, at the Walston Home place near Macclesfield.
            His wife, Mary, died Oct. 2, 1905. Both Robert and Mary are buried at the
            Walston Family Cemetery at the home place near Macclesfield.

            Notes for MARY ANN MIRANDA WEBB FLEMING:
            Mary Ann Miranda Webb - maiden name. Fleming first husband. Was a widow.

            Children of ROBERT WALSTON and MARY FLEMING are:
            20. i. BILLY13 WALSTON, b. September 03, 1859, Macclesfield, NC; d. June 07,
            1927, Macclesfield, NC.
            ii. ANNA WALSTON, b. October 28, 1874, Macclesfield; d. 1930, Macclesfield.

            17. LITTLETON12 WALSTON (LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8,
            PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2,
            ANDREW1) was born Unknown, and died October 02, 1845. He married (1) DELPHA
            CHERRY January 28, 1841. She was born Unknown, and died March 16, 1843. He
            married (2) ELIZA COBB June 17, 1845. She was born Unknown, and died
            October 02, 1845.

            Child of LITTLETON WALSTON and DELPHA CHERRY is:
            i. PHEASONTON13 WALSTON, b. November 16, 1841.

            Generation No. 13

            18. WILLIAM FRANKLIN13 WALSTON (AMOS12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9,
            WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3,
            JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born February 16, 1843, and died October 06, 1923. He
            married LOUISA PITT February 21, 1869, daughter of JOHN PITT and MARY MOON.
            She was born July 19, 1849, and died July 07, 1907.

            Children of WILLIAM WALSTON and LOUISA PITT are:
            i. AMOS TURNER14 WALSTON, b. December 04, 1869; d. November 02, 1947; m.
            LINA HARRELL, December 24, 1890; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            ii. DORA WALSTON, b. September 05, 1871; d. January 12, 1954; m. GEORGE P
            SUGG; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            iii. EFFIE WALSTON, b. April 02, 1875; d. Dead; m. JOHN COBB; b. Unknown;
            d. Dead.
            iv. MINNIE WALSTON, b. October 01, 1878; d. July 22, 1953; m. JOSEPH MILTON
            MARKS; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            v. NANCY WALSTON, b. September 27, 1881.
            vi. MARY LOUISA WALSTON, b. December 17, 1886; d. November 25, 1923; m.
            JACK C NORRED; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            vii. JAMES FRANKLIN WALSTON, b. Abt. 1887; d. Abt. 1887.

            Notes for JAMES FRANKLIN WALSTON:
            Infant death.

            viii. NORA WALSTON, b. February 14, 1889; d. June 15, 1969; m. WALTER W
            BULLUCK; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            ix. WILLIAM CALVIN WALSTON, b. March 18, 1891; d. November 10, 1966; m.
            LINDA JOHNSON; b. Unknown; d. Dead.
            x. JOHN WALSTON, b. Unknown; d. Dead; m. MARGARET COBB; b. Unknown; d.
            Dead.

            19. SARAH13 WALSTON (AMOS12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8,
            PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2,
            ANDREW1) was born June 16, 1844, and died Dead. She married JAMES THOMAS
            LEWIS October 01, 1865, son of R L LEWIS. He was born Unknown, and died
            Dead.

            Child of SARAH WALSTON and JAMES LEWIS is:
            i. IDA LIVINGSTON14 LEWIS, b. Unknown; m. ROBERT ELISHA PITT; b. Unknown;
            d. Dead.

            20. BILLY13 WALSTON (ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8,
            PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2,
            ANDREW1) was born September 03, 1859 in Macclesfield, NC, and died June 07,
            1927 in Macclesfield, NC. He married MARY GARNER.

            Notes for BILLY WALSTON:
            Billy Walston, My (Simmons Walston) Grandfather was the son of Robert
            Walston. Billy was born September 3, 1859. He was married to Mary
            Gardner. She was born July 17, 1860. Billy and Mary were farmers
            throughout their married life. Mary was also noted for her excellent
            cooking. They lived near Macclesfield their early years of married life and
            then when Billy's father, Robert, passed away in 1908, they moved to St.
            Lewis on the Oates Place which had been owned by Robert. They remained
            there until their deaths. Of this marriage seven children were born.

            Children of BILLY WALSTON and MARY GARNER are:
            21. i. ROBERT "BOB" ARTHUR14 WALSTON, b. October 07, 1882, Macclesfield, NC;
            d. 1961, Macclesfield, NC.
            22. ii. LEE WALSTON, b. December 08, 1889; d. June 1958, Macclesfield, NC.
            23. iii. LESSIE GENORA WALSTON, b. May 06, 1887; d. March 02, 1956.
            iv. MARY WALSTON, b. Unknown; d. 1970, New York; m. (1) GORDON PEARSALL; m.
            (2) LEWIS PARDO.

            Notes for MARY WALSTON:
            Worked as a nurse in her younger days. Died in New York in 1970.

            More About MARY WALSTON:
            Burial: WB Walston Family Cemetery, St. Lewis, Edg Co, NC

            v. ALBERT "RAB" WALSTON, b. Unknown; d. 1960.

            Notes for ALBERT "RAB" WALSTON:
            Never married. He spent most of his adult life on his farm near St. Lewis.

            More About ALBERT "RAB" WALSTON:
            Burial: WB Walston Family Cemetery, St. Lewis, Edg Co, NC

            vi. MARTIN WALSTON, b. Unknown.

            Notes for MARTIN WALSTON:
            Never Married.

            More About MARTIN WALSTON:
            Burial: Walston and Reason Cemetery, Macclesfield, NC
            Cause of Death: Died from Tree falling on him.

            24. vii. FRED WALSTON, b. September 05, 1895, St. Lewis Community, Edgecombe
            County, NC; d. May 05, 1953, Oates Place near St. Lewis Community, Edg
            County, NC.

            Generation No. 14

            21. ROBERT "BOB" ARTHUR14 WALSTON (BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11,
            PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5,
            WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born October 07, 1882 in
            Macclesfield, NC, and died 1961 in Macclesfield, NC. He married HAZEL
            CLARK, daughter of EDWARD CLARK and MARTHA. She was born December 01, 1882,
            and died 1980.

            Children of ROBERT WALSTON and HAZEL CLARK are:
            i. EDWARD LEE15 WALSTON, b. October 14, 1912; d. May 1940.

            Notes for EDWARD LEE WALSTON:
            Died in the military. Never married.

            25. ii. HAZEL RUBY WALSTON, b. June 02, 1914.
            26. iii. MARGARET ANNA WALSTON, b. February 06, 1916, Macclesfield, NC; d.
            Abt. 1987, Macclesfield, NC.
            iv. FRED WOOTEN WALSTON, b. August 05, 1918; d. July 10, 1944, WWII
            Military Action.

            Notes for FRED WOOTEN WALSTON:
            Died during WWII in action.

            27. v. WILLIAM HENRY "BILLY" WALSTON, b. September 24, 1920.
            vi. CLYDE CLARK WALSTON, b. July 05, 1922.
            28. vii. ARTHUR MILLER WALSTON, b. October 15, 1926.
            viii. SHELBY CLARK WALSTON, b. November 22, 1935.

            Notes for SHELBY CLARK WALSTON:
            Never married.

            22. LEE14 WALSTON (BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9,
            WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3,
            JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born December 08, 1889, and died June 1958 in
            Macclesfield, NC. He married ORA LILLEY LEWIS 1913. She was born Unknown
            in St. Lewis Community, Edgecombe County, NC, and died July 12, 1975 in St.
            Lewis Community, Edgecombe County, NC.

            Children of LEE WALSTON and ORA LEWIS are:
            i. LEE JR15 WALSTON, b. November 24, 1915; m. BELITHA GRAHAM, December 28,
            1954; b. January 17, 1925.
            29. ii. ORA LILLEY "TEENIE" WALSTON, b. July 13, 1921.
            30. iii. MARY FRANCES WALSTON, b. October 30, 1919.
            31. iv. FRED LEWIS WALSTON, b. September 13, 1917.
            v. WILBER RAY WALSTON, b. November 04, 1925; m. (1) SUE GARDNER, October
            10, 1981; b. Unknown; m. (2) LEOLA CROCKER DAWSON, October 10, 1981; b.
            August 25, 1931.

            23. LESSIE GENORA14 WALSTON (BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10,
            JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4,
            THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born May 06, 1887, and died March 02, 1956.
            She married JOHN DANIEL EDMONDSON.

            Children of LESSIE WALSTON and JOHN EDMONDSON are:
            32. i. ROLAND15 EDMONDSON, b. July 07, 1915.
            33. ii. WILLIAM JOSEPH "JOE" EDMONDSON, b. December 05, 1916; d. April 13,
            1973.
            34. iii. JOYCE EDMONDSON, b. August 06, 1932.

            24. FRED14 WALSTON (BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9,
            WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3,
            JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born September 05, 1895 in St. Lewis Community,
            Edgecombe County, NC, and died May 05, 1953 in Oates Place near St. Lewis
            Community, Edg County, NC. He married ELIZABETH "BESSIE" LAVINIA COKER.

            Notes for FRED WALSTON:
            Fred was the son of Billy and Mary Gardner Walston. He was born Sept. 5,
            1895 and died May 5, 1953 at the Oates place near St. Lewis. Fred lived
            most of his adult life in the St. Lewis Community. He was a farmer and a
            veteran of World War I. He married Elizabeth Lavinia "Bessie" Coker. They
            had two sons: Copeland, born Feb.. 9, 1930 and Simmons, born July 3, 1931.

            Copeland first married Pauline Gurganus, who died on Jan 13, 1960. He later
            married Mary Wilson Townsend, born July 14, 1939 in Norfolk Virginia. They
            got married on May 20, 1974. Mary has a daughter, Elizabeth Kirk (Betsy)
            Pannill, born July 20, 1961, by a previous marriage.

            As for Simmons, He has never married and it seems to be little hope that he
            will. So unless some miracle takes place, this brings an end to his direct
            line of descendants.

            The End!!

            (Written by Simmons Walston 1983)

            More About FRED WALSTON:
            Burial: WB Walston Family Cemetery, St. Lewis, Edg Co, NC

            Children of FRED WALSTON and ELIZABETH COKER are:
            35. i. COPELAND15 WALSTON, b. February 09, 1930.
            ii. SIMMONS WALSTON, b. July 03, 1931.

            Generation No. 15

            25. HAZEL RUBY15 WALSTON (ROBERT "BOB" ARTHUR14, BILLY13, ROBERT12,
            LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born June 02, 1914. She
            married MONROE WILSON HARRELL. He was born Unknown.

            Children of HAZEL WALSTON and MONROE HARRELL are:
            i. EDWARD CLARK16 HARRELL, b. Unknown.
            ii. ANNIE HAZEL HARRELL, b. Unknown.
            iii. BRENDA SUSAN HARRELL, b. Unknown.

            26. MARGARET ANNA15 WALSTON (ROBERT "BOB" ARTHUR14, BILLY13, ROBERT12,
            LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born February 06, 1916 in
            Macclesfield, NC, and died Abt. 1987 in Macclesfield, NC. She married LEE
            ROY VARNELL. He was born Abt. 1911 in Macclesfield, NC, and died Abt. 1984
            in Macclesfield, NC.

            Child of MARGARET WALSTON and LEE VARNELL is:
            i. RONALD LEE16 VARNELL, b. Unknown; d. Dead.

            27. WILLIAM HENRY "BILLY"15 WALSTON (ROBERT "BOB" ARTHUR14, BILLY13,
            ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7,
            WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born
            September 24, 1920. He married LORRAINE GALLOWAY. She was born Unknown.

            Children of WILLIAM WALSTON and LORRAINE GALLOWAY are:
            i. HAZEL SPEIGHT16 WALSTON, b. May 07, 1954.
            ii. VELMA LORRAINE WALSTON, b. August 06, 1955.
            iii. ROBERT "BOBBY" WALSTON, b. July 04, 1956.

            28. ARTHUR MILLER15 WALSTON (ROBERT "BOB" ARTHUR14, BILLY13, ROBERT12,
            LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born October 15, 1926.
            He married MANNIE LEE OWENS. She was born Unknown.

            Children of ARTHUR WALSTON and MANNIE OWENS are:
            i. DOUGLAS ARTHUR16 WALSTON, b. Unknown.
            ii. FRED WAYNE WALSTON, b. Unknown.
            iii. MARTHA PATRICIA "PAT" WALSTON, b. Unknown.
            iv. ARTHUR RAY WALSTON, b. Unknown.
            v. BRENDA LEE WALSTON, b. Unknown.
            vi. ROBERT WALSTON, b. Unknown.
            vii. EDNA MARIE WALSTON, b. Unknown.

            29. ORA LILLEY "TEENIE"15 WALSTON (LEE14, BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11,
            PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5,
            WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born July 13, 1921. She married
            TOM SMITH August 16, 1948. He was born January 02, 1916.

            Children of ORA WALSTON and TOM SMITH are:
            36. i. GLYNN ORA16 SMITH, b. November 18, 1948.
            ii. TOMMY SMITH, b. October 16, 1951.

            30. MARY FRANCES15 WALSTON (LEE14, BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11,
            PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5,
            WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born October 30, 1919. She married
            (1) DICK DENTON Bef. 1942. He was born Unknown. She married (2) PAUL
            WORRELL January 12, 1957. He was born Unknown.

            Child of MARY WALSTON and DICK DENTON is:
            i. MARY JANE16 DENTON, b. October 16, 1943.

            Child of MARY WALSTON and PAUL WORRELL is:
            ii. PAUL "CHIP" OWENS16 WORRELL, b. July 15, 1959.

            31. FRED LEWIS15 WALSTON (LEE14, BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10,
            JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4,
            THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born September 13, 1917. He married MARY
            LEHMAN May 05, 1945 in Lenoir County, NC.

            Children of FRED WALSTON and MARY LEHMAN are:
            i. JOHN LEWIS16 WALSTON, b. September 28, 1946; m. BERRY JO GAINEY, August
            04, 1978; b. June 22, 1954.
            ii. FRANCIS ANN WALSTON, b. September 20, 1947.
            37. iii. MARY LOU WALSTON, b. February 06, 1953.

            32. ROLAND15 EDMONDSON (LESSIE GENORA14 WALSTON, BILLY13, ROBERT12,
            LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born July 07, 1915. He
            married (1) RUBY GREEN BEACH. She was born Unknown, and died July 07, 1952.
            He married (2) BLANCHE ROGERS Aft. 1952. She was born April 12, 1918.

            Child of ROLAND EDMONDSON and RUBY BEACH is:
            i. PEGGY BEACH16 EDMONDSON, b. Unknown.

            Children of ROLAND EDMONDSON and BLANCHE ROGERS are:
            ii. MARTHA WRIGHT16 EDMONDSON, b. December 27, 1957.
            iii. MARY ROLAND EDMONDSON, b. November 25, 1958; m. TOMMY RAY SHERROD; b.
            Unknown.
            iv. BETTY JOHN EDMONDSON, b. January 1962; d. January 1962.

            33. WILLIAM JOSEPH "JOE"15 EDMONDSON (LESSIE GENORA14 WALSTON, BILLY13,
            ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7,
            WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born
            December 05, 1916, and died April 13, 1973. He married (1) MARY LOUISE
            LAWRENCE. She was born September 11, 1912, and died April 30, 1962. He
            married (2) HAZEL RODGERS PITTMAN.

            Children of WILLIAM EDMONDSON and MARY LAWRENCE are:
            38. i. MARY LOU16 EDMONDSON, b. October 07, 1939.
            39. ii. WILLIAM JOSEPH "LITTLE JOE" JR EDMONDSON, b. August 05, 1942.

            34. JOYCE15 EDMONDSON (LESSIE GENORA14 WALSTON, BILLY13, ROBERT12,
            LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born August 06, 1932.
            She married (1) CLARENCE B JR BUNTING. He was born Unknown. She married
            (2) THOMAS LESTER JR TOLSON. He was born Unknown.

            Children of JOYCE EDMONDSON and CLARENCE BUNTING are:
            i. JANERO16 BUNTING, b. August 08, 1952.
            ii. CLARENCE B III BUNTING, b. January 05, 1954.

            Children of JOYCE EDMONDSON and THOMAS TOLSON are:
            iii. THOMAS ALLAN "TOMMY"16 TOLSON, b. March 22, 1960.
            iv. JOHN DANIEL TOLSON, b. March 22, 1960.
            v. BRENDA JOYCE "JOY" TOLSON, b. August 21, 1961.

            35. COPELAND15 WALSTON (FRED14, BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10,
            JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4,
            THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born February 09, 1930. He married (1)
            PAULINE GURGANUS. She was born Unknown, and died January 13, 1960. He
            married (2) MARY WILSON TOWNSEND May 20, 1974. She was born July 14, 1939
            in Norfolk, Virginia.

            Child of COPELAND WALSTON and MARY TOWNSEND is:
            i. ELIZABETH KURT16 PANNIL, b. July 20, 1961; Stepchild.

            Generation No. 16

            36. GLYNN ORA16 SMITH (ORA LILLEY "TEENIE"15 WALSTON, LEE14, BILLY13,
            ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7,
            WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born
            November 18, 1948. She married DENNIS SUGG. He was born Abt. 1948.

            Children of GLYNN SMITH and DENNIS SUGG are:
            i. JEREMY17 SUGG, b. Abt. 1976.
            ii. BRANDON SUGG, b. Abt. 1979.
            iii. JONATHAN SUGG, b. Abt. 1983.

            37. MARY LOU16 WALSTON (FRED LEWIS15, LEE14, BILLY13, ROBERT12,
            LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6,
            PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born February 06, 1953.
            She married DANIEL WARREN COLE September 1970. He was born July 28, 1951.

            Child of MARY WALSTON and DANIEL COLE is:
            i. CHRISTOPHER WARREN17 COLE, b. April 29, 1971.

            38. MARY LOU16 EDMONDSON (WILLIAM JOSEPH "JOE"15, LESSIE GENORA14 WALSTON,
            BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9, WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP
            ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was
            born October 07, 1939. She married NORMAN WAYNE CLARK. He was born
            Unknown.

            Child of MARY EDMONDSON and NORMAN CLARK is:
            i. NORMAN DWAYNE17 CLARK, b. May 02, 1960.

            39. WILLIAM JOSEPH "LITTLE JOE" JR16 EDMONDSON (WILLIAM JOSEPH "JOE"15,
            LESSIE GENORA14 WALSTON, BILLY13, ROBERT12, LITTLETON11, PHILLIP10, JOHN9,
            WILLIAM JR8, PHILLIP ESQUIRE7, WILLIAM SR6, PHILLIP5, WILLIAM4, THOMAS3,
            JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born August 05, 1942. He married JEAN HOOKS WILLIAMS.
            She was born June 01, 1942.

            Children of WILLIAM EDMONDSON and JEAN WILLIAMS are:
            i. PAMELA DAWN17 EDMONDSON, b. August 25, 1965.
            ii. MARY BETH EDMONDSON, b. August 10, 1967.
            iii. KRISTON NICOLE EDMONDSON, b. July 30, 1975.

            Endnotes

            1. Cavaliers and Pioneers (Book) Raleigh Archives.
            2. Bertie County Courthouse Land and Deed Records - Various Volumes:
            Windsor NC.
            3. Mr. Charles Marks, Rocky Mount NC - Descendant of Littleton Walston.

          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
              Thank you so much for posting this Walston information. I am going to print
              it out and send it my cousin, who is the granddaughter of a Philip Walston,
              of Walstonburg.
              Evelyn

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2004
                Charlotte,
                Thanks for all the Walston information.
                Sure wish I'd had it when I was doing my Walston/Owens Book,
                Memories through the Years.
                Going to keep it for future usage.
                Linda Bottoms Bass

> [...]
                > at a place called Surry Plantation. He held a land patent from Norfolk,
                > Prince Anne County, Va. This information can be found in Cavaliers and
                > Pioneers Vol. 3 at the Archives building in Raleigh.
                >

                > William Walston
                >
                > William Walston, son of Thomas Walston, was born around the early to
                > mid 1600's. It is presumed that he followed the trade of his ancestors
                > Andrew, Joseph, and Thomas as farmers in the Norfolk County, Virginia
                area.
                > He was married to Elizabeth Peters, daughter of James Peters. They had a
                > son named Phillip, who was born in 1648. This information was found in
                Vol.
                > 3 of Cavaliers and Pioneers.
                >
                > It is believed that William was the first, or among the first,
                Walstons
                > to immigrate to North Carolina probably in the mid 1600's.

                William
> [...]
                > year of our Lord Nov. 30th 1839.
                >
                > John Walston the son of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was borned in the
                > year of our Lord May 30, 1841.
                >
                > William F. Walston the son of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was born the
                > 16th of Feby. In the year of our Lord 1843.
                >
                > Sally Walston daughter of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was borned in
                the
                > year of our Lord June 16, 1844.
                >
                > Rebeaka the daughter of Amos Walston and Nancy his wife was born the 15 of
                > Jan. in the year of our Lord 1846.
                >
                > Dora Walston daughter of W.F. Walston and Louisa his wife was born Sept.
                5th
                > 1871.
                >
                > Effie Walston, daughter of W.F. Walston and Louisa his wife was born April
                > 2nd, 1875.
                >
                > Amos T. Walston the son of W.F. Walston and Louisa his wife was born Dec.
                ??
> [...]
                > my just debts are paid.
                >
                > I give and bequeath to my son, Robert Pitt, all my land on which I now
                live
                > including that part which I have lent to my wife, Polly, after her death
                > together with the Piney Woods Tract, known as the Dunn Tract to have and
                > hold to him and his lawful heirs of his own body forever, though not
                subject
                > to any debt that he or his heirs has or may hereafter contract. I also
                give
                > and bequeath to my son, Robert Pitt, all my perishable property of every
                > description that is not otherwise disposed of.
                >
                > My will further is that he, my son Robert Pitt, should pay all my just
                debts
                > that I may leave unpaid and the money legacies to my daughters.
                >
                > I now make and appoint my son, Robert Pitt my executor to this my last

                Pitt