Re: William R BAKER

  • ccliffb
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
      Hi Cousin John,

      I don't think Abram is his father. On the death cir. it is listed as
      Haywood, and his wife is as what looks like Dorth Krew. On the
      wedding of William Baker and Mary Jane Gray, in Chicod on Aug
      2nd,1892, the farther is listed as Haywood and the mother as
      Josephine.

      In the 1880 census in (Wayne) Saulston, I find R H BAKER (33),
      Joshephine (28), William (8), Sarah (5), and Jesse (2). I think
      this might be them, but am not sure about it. I know William died in
      Snow Hill, which is real close to Saulston.

      I have uploaded a picture of the tomb stone and death cir. of
      William R BAKER in a folder of the same name. Anyway,I want to thank
      you for all your help. Oh yea, as far as I know, Williams middle
      name was Reddick.

      Thanks, Cliff

      - -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, John V Lucas Jr <jlucasjr@c...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Cousin Clifton,
      >
      > Although your Baker's are not related to me, I had some spare
      time on
      > my hands and did a little on-line census research for you. You
      may
      > already have done extensive census research on this family; but,
      in the
      > event that you haven't here's what I have found thus far. I
      started
      > with the 1880 census and worked backwards. Afterwards, I
      researched
      > from 1900 through 1920. If this is the Baker family your are
      > researching, please let me know and I will provide you with the
      > information I have gathered for census years 1870, 1900, 1910,
      and
      > 1920. If you would like for me to do so, I will mail the census
      > documents to your home.
      >
      > 1880 - Pactolus Township - Pitt Co., NC - Film T9-0978, Page
      424D:
      > (found on familysearch.com)
      > 1. Absian Baker (His first name should have been spelled Abram) -
      Male
      > - age 42 - Farmer
      > 2. L. Melloma Baker - Femaie - Wife - age 37 (note: her first name
      was
      > probably misspelled
      > 3. Florence D. Baker - Female -Dau- age 19
      > 4. Sarah V. Baker - Female - Dau - age 17
      > 5. Mary E. Baker - Female- Dau - age 14
      > 6. Abram M. Baker - Son - Male - age 12
      > 7. William R. Baker - Son - Male - age 10 (Is this the William R.
      Baker

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
        Cliff,

        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gen2/bakerwilliamr.htm

        PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM

        Page 922, 923

        WILLIAM R. BAKER was elected Auditor for Greene County
        in November, 1883, and has served continuously since
        that time, a fact which speaks highly for his
        character and the estimation in which he is held by
        the people of his county. He is one of the old
        soldiers whom all lovers of the flag delight to honor,
        and in remembrance of the years during which he
        hazarded life itself in battleļæ½s front, he belongs to
        the Grand Army of the Republic at Xenia. For some
        years prior to his election to his present responsible
        position, he was identified with the business
        interests of the city in the capacity of a dealer in
        groceries and in financial circles was held in
        excellent repute.

        Mr. BAKER was born near Jamestown, August 31, 1841,
        being a son of John W. BAKER, whose settlement in this
        county dated from 1828. The father was a native of
        Kentucky, whither he came across the Ohio River when a
        boy of fourteen years with his father, William BAKER,
        who kept one of the early public houses of Jamestown.
        Amid the pioneer surroundings the father of our
        subject grew to maturity, being engaged as a teamster
        until his marriage, when he turned his attention to
        farming. In the spring of 1848 he abandoned that
        enterprise and returning to Jamestown, engaged in the
        grocery business, continuing in that occupation until
        1857.

        In the schools of his native place and in the store
        kept by his father, he of whom we write received his
        education, being enabled to make practical use of the
        principles learned from the text books and so realized
        the object of his schooling. During his youth his
        father resumed his farm work and continuing it until
        after his boys had grown to manhood, they became well
        acquainted with the occupation also. The father
        finally removed to Grape Grove and four or five years
        later to Columbus, where he still lives. The mother
        of whom our subject and other members of the parental
        family owe much for good counsel and loving care, also
        survives.

        Our subject left the parental roof in the fall of 1861
        to enlist in Company A, Seventy-fourth Ohio Infantry.
        The regiment spent six months at Camp Todd and Camp
        Chase, preparing for the duties which awaited them at
        the front, and then going to Nashville, were placed
        under the command of Gen. THOMAS, in the Fourteenth
        Corps, Army of the Cumberland. They bore a gallant
        part in the momentous battles of Stone River,
        Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge,
        and afterward participated in the scenes of the
        Atlanta campaign from Chattanooga to Atlanta. During
        this period they were under fire nearly every day,
        bearing their part in all the battles of the campaign.
        At its conclusion our subject was discharged, his
        term of service being completed, and was mustered out
        October 7, 1864.

        Returning to his home Mr. BAKER became a clerk in the
        grocery store of EAVEY & CO., Xenia, remaining in the
        establishment until 1869, in a clerical capacity and
        assuming a half interest in the house. The firm did
        both a wholesale and retail trade and was well known
        in this section of the Buckeye State as one of the
        most reliable establishments of Xenia. For sixteen
        years Mr. BAKER was connected with the house, during
        the various changes it underwent, owning from one-half
        to the entire interest. When elected to the office in
        which he is now serving his third term, he sold out
        his business in order that he might devote himself
        fully to his public duties.

        Mr. BAKER votes the Republican ticket, no stancher
        [sic] supporter of the party being met with than he.
        He is a Chapter Mason and is also identified with the
        Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His family consists
        of a wife and two children, the latter bearing the
        names of Florence H. and Jessie R. Mrs. BAKER bore
        the maiden name of Anna P. HARRISON, and was born and
        reared on a farm near Cedarville, this county, of
        which her father, James HARRISON was an early settler.
        The rites of wedlock between herself and our subject
        were celebrated at her home March 1, 1876. She is a
        noble woman, true to her family and friends, and
        intelligently interested in the affairs of mankind.

        --- ccliffb <cybercliff@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >

        > > > Pitt County Historical Society:
        >
        > > > http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
        > > >
        > > > Submit your family for publication FREE in
        > VOLUME II CHRONICALS
        > > > earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail
        > instructions:

        > > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order
        > Form, limited
        > supply:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
        > > > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
        > > >
        > > > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
        > Resources:
        > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
        > > >
        > > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you
        > to join our
        > dynamic
        > > > group if you are interested in genealogy
        > discussion and research
        > in
        > > > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina

        =====
        Paula Baker
        Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
          Cliff,
          That might not have been your William R. Baker...I get
          excited sometimes. Just remember that people often
          got the info on the death certificate wrong.

          Paula

          =====

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
            I found the census for 1930. A William R. Baker is
            living with Jesse E. Baker and wife Hattie. William
            R. Baker is 85. It says that his mother and father
            were both born in NC.

            =====