Re: [genpcncfir] More Thigpens & Penny Hil

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2004
      Dear Group,

      I have contradictory information on the origin of Penny Hill and its
      relation to the Thigpen family. First, there is a narrative called "Penny
      Hill Plantation" that Bill Kittrell sent me as a MSWord file, dated
      11/20/1987 and author unknown. I'm not going to share it with the whole
      group since it came from Bill he should be the one to introduce it. It also
      contains a few glaring errors which may lend some doubt as to its
      authenticity. But it speaks of Dr. James Thighpen (sic) III, who ventured
      up the Pamlico River (not named "Tar" yet) with his boatman slave Eli in
      1722 (correction to the 1713 date I reported below) as far as they could and
      stopped at a place that he would return to a few months later with "15
      slave families" and start a plantation later known as "Penny Hill." This
      article also identifies James Thighpen III as a "state-appointed ferry
      operator," which is the first of several errors in it, since NC would not
      become a state until over 60 years later. Anyway, it goes on to say that
      his son, James Thighpen IV, married Mary Penelope Hill (born in Perquimans
      County in 1713) on Oct. 20, 1729 and named the manor plantation that his
      father started "Penny Hill,"after her. The article goes on to describe a
      thriving plantation with several generations of "Thighpens" (not sure when
      spelling was changed) that remained at the same location on a hill near the
      river until 1832 when the manor house burned to the ground, after which a
      new house was built farther from the river. The article describes an
      archaeological dig in the 1980's that unearthed the foundation of the
      original manor house and found many artifacts dating back to the early 18th
      century. Apparently much of the land was later acquired by the Blount
      family, but later information says Jack Blount Jr. deeded a few acres
      including the old manor house location back to the Thigpen Family
      Foundation, which is trying to raise funds to hire an archaeologist for more
      excavation.

      As I mentioned, the article has several other errors that appear minor when
      taken individually, but the number of them casts doubts about its overall
      credibility. Also it contradicts other information (found in PC Chronicles I
      and elsewhere), which says the name "Penny Hill" comes from a "free woman of
      color" who sold goods at the river landing for many years in the 1800's when
      steamboats made regular stops there.

      So there you have it, today's "unsolved mystery" story about Penny Hill and
      the Thigpen, aka Thighpen, family that lived there (that much is undisputed
      because of two Thigpen family cemeteries in the area). The reason it
      interests me is because its settlement year of 1722 precedes most other land
      grants and purchases in present-day Pitt County (which began in the 1730's),
      making it perhaps the first permanent settlement upstream of the Smith
      plantation where John Lawson ended his famous trek in 1701, near Tranters
      Creek between present-day Grimesland and Washington. This settlement would
      have preceded other well-known Pitt County plantations by 15-20 years,
      making it probably the earliest colonial occupation on the Tar River
      upstream of Grimesland.

      Of course I think we'd all be interested in any further information that
      supplements or corrects this account so far...

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004
        Bob,
        I have never the story about Penny Hill being named for a slave woman, but I
        have heard the one about it being named of Penny Hill, the daughter of Henry
        Hill. She was the grandmother of Gilead Thigpen. I think I sent a letter a
        few minutes ago stating that she was the mother of Giead. That is what
        happens when I rely on my memory instead of looking it up.
        Evelyn