Re: [genpcncfir] William R BAKER

  • LdMel1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
      I pray all your family will be well from the accident. Thanks
      Linda

    • ccliffb
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
        Hi Cousin John,

        I don't think Abram is his father. On the death cir. it is listed as
        Haywood, and his wife is as what looks like Dorth Krew. On the
        wedding of William Baker and Mary Jane Gray, in Chicod on Aug
        2nd,1892, the farther is listed as Haywood and the mother as
        Josephine.

        In the 1880 census in (Wayne) Saulston, I find R H BAKER (33),
        Joshephine (28), William (8), Sarah (5), and Jesse (2). I think
        this might be them, but am not sure about it. I know William died in
        Snow Hill, which is real close to Saulston.

        I have uploaded a picture of the tomb stone and death cir. of
        William R BAKER in a folder of the same name. Anyway,I want to thank
        you for all your help. Oh yea, as far as I know, Williams middle
        name was Reddick.

        Thanks, Cliff

        - -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, John V Lucas Jr <jlucasjr@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Cousin Clifton,
        >
        > Although your Baker's are not related to me, I had some spare
        time on
        > my hands and did a little on-line census research for you. You
        may
        > already have done extensive census research on this family; but,
        in the
        > event that you haven't here's what I have found thus far. I
        started
        > with the 1880 census and worked backwards. Afterwards, I
        researched
        > from 1900 through 1920. If this is the Baker family your are
        > researching, please let me know and I will provide you with the
        > information I have gathered for census years 1870, 1900, 1910,
        and
        > 1920. If you would like for me to do so, I will mail the census
        > documents to your home.
        >
        > 1880 - Pactolus Township - Pitt Co., NC - Film T9-0978, Page
        424D:
        > (found on familysearch.com)
        > 1. Absian Baker (His first name should have been spelled Abram) -
        Male
        > - age 42 - Farmer
        > 2. L. Melloma Baker - Femaie - Wife - age 37 (note: her first name
        was
        > probably misspelled
        > 3. Florence D. Baker - Female -Dau- age 19
        > 4. Sarah V. Baker - Female - Dau - age 17
        > 5. Mary E. Baker - Female- Dau - age 14
        > 6. Abram M. Baker - Son - Male - age 12
        > 7. William R. Baker - Son - Male - age 10 (Is this the William R.
        Baker

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
          Cliff,

          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gen2/bakerwilliamr.htm

          PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM

          Page 922, 923

          WILLIAM R. BAKER was elected Auditor for Greene County
          in November, 1883, and has served continuously since
          that time, a fact which speaks highly for his
          character and the estimation in which he is held by
          the people of his county. He is one of the old
          soldiers whom all lovers of the flag delight to honor,
          and in remembrance of the years during which he
          hazarded life itself in battleļæ½s front, he belongs to
          the Grand Army of the Republic at Xenia. For some
          years prior to his election to his present responsible
          position, he was identified with the business
          interests of the city in the capacity of a dealer in
          groceries and in financial circles was held in
          excellent repute.

          Mr. BAKER was born near Jamestown, August 31, 1841,
          being a son of John W. BAKER, whose settlement in this
          county dated from 1828. The father was a native of
          Kentucky, whither he came across the Ohio River when a
          boy of fourteen years with his father, William BAKER,
          who kept one of the early public houses of Jamestown.
          Amid the pioneer surroundings the father of our
          subject grew to maturity, being engaged as a teamster
          until his marriage, when he turned his attention to
          farming. In the spring of 1848 he abandoned that
          enterprise and returning to Jamestown, engaged in the
          grocery business, continuing in that occupation until
          1857.

          In the schools of his native place and in the store
          kept by his father, he of whom we write received his
          education, being enabled to make practical use of the
          principles learned from the text books and so realized
          the object of his schooling. During his youth his
          father resumed his farm work and continuing it until
          after his boys had grown to manhood, they became well
          acquainted with the occupation also. The father
          finally removed to Grape Grove and four or five years
          later to Columbus, where he still lives. The mother
          of whom our subject and other members of the parental
          family owe much for good counsel and loving care, also
          survives.

          Our subject left the parental roof in the fall of 1861
          to enlist in Company A, Seventy-fourth Ohio Infantry.
          The regiment spent six months at Camp Todd and Camp
          Chase, preparing for the duties which awaited them at
          the front, and then going to Nashville, were placed
          under the command of Gen. THOMAS, in the Fourteenth
          Corps, Army of the Cumberland. They bore a gallant
          part in the momentous battles of Stone River,
          Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge,
          and afterward participated in the scenes of the
          Atlanta campaign from Chattanooga to Atlanta. During
          this period they were under fire nearly every day,
          bearing their part in all the battles of the campaign.
          At its conclusion our subject was discharged, his
          term of service being completed, and was mustered out
          October 7, 1864.

          Returning to his home Mr. BAKER became a clerk in the
          grocery store of EAVEY & CO., Xenia, remaining in the
          establishment until 1869, in a clerical capacity and
          assuming a half interest in the house. The firm did
          both a wholesale and retail trade and was well known
          in this section of the Buckeye State as one of the
          most reliable establishments of Xenia. For sixteen
          years Mr. BAKER was connected with the house, during
          the various changes it underwent, owning from one-half
          to the entire interest. When elected to the office in
          which he is now serving his third term, he sold out
          his business in order that he might devote himself
          fully to his public duties.

          Mr. BAKER votes the Republican ticket, no stancher
          [sic] supporter of the party being met with than he.
          He is a Chapter Mason and is also identified with the
          Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His family consists
          of a wife and two children, the latter bearing the
          names of Florence H. and Jessie R. Mrs. BAKER bore
          the maiden name of Anna P. HARRISON, and was born and
          reared on a farm near Cedarville, this county, of
          which her father, James HARRISON was an early settler.
          The rites of wedlock between herself and our subject
          were celebrated at her home March 1, 1876. She is a
          noble woman, true to her family and friends, and
          intelligently interested in the affairs of mankind.

          --- ccliffb <cybercliff@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >

          > > > Pitt County Historical Society:
          >
          > > > http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
          > > >
          > > > Submit your family for publication FREE in
          > VOLUME II CHRONICALS
          > > > earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail
          > instructions:

          > > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order
          > Form, limited
          > supply:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
          > > > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
          > > >
          > > > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
          > Resources:
          > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
          > > >
          > > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you
          > to join our
          > dynamic
          > > > group if you are interested in genealogy
          > discussion and research
          > in
          > > > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina

          =====
          Paula Baker
          Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
            Cliff,
            That might not have been your William R. Baker...I get
            excited sometimes. Just remember that people often
            got the info on the death certificate wrong.

            Paula

            =====

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
              I found the census for 1930. A William R. Baker is
              living with Jesse E. Baker and wife Hattie. William
              R. Baker is 85. It says that his mother and father
              were both born in NC.

              =====