Re: [genpcncfir] William R BAKER

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3 4:55 PM
      I keep seeing these James H. Baker boys and I have at
      least two James Hines Bakers in my family, one born
      about 1820+ , the other born 1850+. They lived in
      Greene County.

      Paula
      --- John V Lucas Jr <jlucasjr@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > some spare time on
      > my hands and did a little on-line census research
      > for you. You may
      > already have done extensive census research on this
      > family; but, in the
      > event that you haven't here's what I have found thus
      > far. I started
      > with the 1880 census and worked backwards.
      > Afterwards, I researched
      > from 1900 through 1920. If this is the Baker family
      > your are
      > researching, please let me know and I will provide
      > you with the
      > information I have gathered for census years 1870,
      > 1900, 1910, and
      > 1920. If you would like for me to do so, I will
      > mail the census
      > documents to your home.
      >
      > 1880 - Pactolus Township - Pitt Co., NC - Film
      > T9-0978, Page 424D:
      > (found on familysearch.com)
      > 1. Absian Baker (His first name should have been
      > spelled Abram) - Male
      > - age 42 - Farmer
      > 2. L. Melloma Baker - Femaie - Wife - age 37 (note:
      > her first name was
      > probably misspelled
      > 3. Florence D. Baker - Female -Dau- age 19
      > 4. Sarah V. Baker - Female - Dau - age 17
      > 5. Mary E. Baker - Female- Dau - age 14
      > 6. Abram M. Baker - Son - Male - age 12
      > 7. William R. Baker - Son - Male - age 10 (Is this
      > the William R. Baker
      > you are researching?)
      > 8. James H. Baker - Son - Male - age 8
      > 9. Joseph R. Baker - Son - Male - age 6
      > 10. Lucy R. Baker - Dau - Female - age 4
      > 11. Charlie Baker - Son - Male - age 1 mo.
      > 12. J. B. Little - Other - Male - age 25
      >
      > I await to hear back from you. Good luck in your
      > continuing research.
      >
      > On Sep 2, 2004, at 7:24 PM, ccliffb wrote:
      >

      > > Hello Group,
      > > I am looking for any information on
      > William R BAKER (born
      > > 11/07/1871 and died 07/02/1929). He was married to
      > Mary Jane Gray
      > > (born 07/25/1873 and died 11/02/1919). He died in
      > Greene Co. and she
      > > died in Pitt Co.
      > > I am also trying to find information on
      > his father and
      > > mother. On William's death cir. it has his father
      > as Haywood. I
      > > can't make out his mother name on the death cir.,
      > but she is listed
      > > as Josephem. Any help would be appreciated.
      > >

      > > Thanks, Clifton Baker
      > >

      > > Pitt County Historical Society:
      > >
      > > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME
      > II CHRONICALS
      > > earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail
      > instructions:

      > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,
      > limited supply:

      > > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

      > Resources:

      > join our dynamic
      > > group if you are interested in genealogy
      > discussion and research in
      > > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina

      =====
      Paula Baker
      Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3 5:04 PM
        In Greene county in 1850 there is a Haywood Baker
        listed with William Baker and Fereby. This could be
        your Haywood. I have a death certificate of a Haywood
        Baker in my notes. Please ask me for it in a couple
        of days. We had an accident in the family and I'm at
        the hospital caring for family. Will get back to you
        about this if you will remind me, say Tuesday. I
        might be able to send the info to you Sunday or Monday
        if I can find it in my books. That might tell you
        something.

        Paula

        =====

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3 5:47 PM
          I looked, but so far have not been able to find the
          death certificate of Haywood Baker that I have...Will
          keep checking.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3 6:22 PM
            1880 Census

            Haywood BAKER 5th Ward, Morehouse, LA 19 <1861>
            Louisiana Male Other
            Haywood BAKER Waccamaw, Columbus, NC 6 <1874> North
            Carolina Male Son
            Haywood BAKER Cocoa, Edgecombe, NC 8 <1872> North
            Carolina Male GSon
            Haywood BAKER Bentonsville, Johnston, NC 49 <1831>
            North Carolina Male Self
            Haywood BAKER Ingram, Johnston, NC 6 <1874> North
            Carolina Male Son
            Haywood BAKER Brogden, Wayne, NC 21 <1859> North
            Carolina Male Son
            Haywood BAKER District 11, Rutherford, TN 39 <1841>
            Tennessee Male Self

            =====

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3 8:31 PM
              I pray all your family will be well from the accident. Thanks
              Linda

            • ccliffb
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4 6:06 AM
                Hi Cousin John,

                I don't think Abram is his father. On the death cir. it is listed as
                Haywood, and his wife is as what looks like Dorth Krew. On the
                wedding of William Baker and Mary Jane Gray, in Chicod on Aug
                2nd,1892, the farther is listed as Haywood and the mother as
                Josephine.

                In the 1880 census in (Wayne) Saulston, I find R H BAKER (33),
                Joshephine (28), William (8), Sarah (5), and Jesse (2). I think
                this might be them, but am not sure about it. I know William died in
                Snow Hill, which is real close to Saulston.

                I have uploaded a picture of the tomb stone and death cir. of
                William R BAKER in a folder of the same name. Anyway,I want to thank
                you for all your help. Oh yea, as far as I know, Williams middle
                name was Reddick.

                Thanks, Cliff

                - -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, John V Lucas Jr <jlucasjr@c...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4 7:06 AM
                  Cliff,

                  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gen2/bakerwilliamr.htm

                  PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM

                  Page 922, 923

                  WILLIAM R. BAKER was elected Auditor for Greene County
                  in November, 1883, and has served continuously since
                  that time, a fact which speaks highly for his
                  character and the estimation in which he is held by
                  the people of his county. He is one of the old
                  soldiers whom all lovers of the flag delight to honor,
                  and in remembrance of the years during which he
                  hazarded life itself in battleļæ½s front, he belongs to
                  the Grand Army of the Republic at Xenia. For some
                  years prior to his election to his present responsible
                  position, he was identified with the business
                  interests of the city in the capacity of a dealer in
                  groceries and in financial circles was held in
                  excellent repute.

                  Mr. BAKER was born near Jamestown, August 31, 1841,
                  being a son of John W. BAKER, whose settlement in this
                  county dated from 1828. The father was a native of
                  Kentucky, whither he came across the Ohio River when a
                  boy of fourteen years with his father, William BAKER,
                  who kept one of the early public houses of Jamestown.
                  Amid the pioneer surroundings the father of our
                  subject grew to maturity, being engaged as a teamster
                  until his marriage, when he turned his attention to
                  farming. In the spring of 1848 he abandoned that
                  enterprise and returning to Jamestown, engaged in the
                  grocery business, continuing in that occupation until
                  1857.

                  In the schools of his native place and in the store
                  kept by his father, he of whom we write received his
                  education, being enabled to make practical use of the
                  principles learned from the text books and so realized
                  the object of his schooling. During his youth his
                  father resumed his farm work and continuing it until
                  after his boys had grown to manhood, they became well
                  acquainted with the occupation also. The father
                  finally removed to Grape Grove and four or five years
                  later to Columbus, where he still lives. The mother
                  of whom our subject and other members of the parental
                  family owe much for good counsel and loving care, also
                  survives.

                  Our subject left the parental roof in the fall of 1861
                  to enlist in Company A, Seventy-fourth Ohio Infantry.
                  The regiment spent six months at Camp Todd and Camp
                  Chase, preparing for the duties which awaited them at
                  the front, and then going to Nashville, were placed
                  under the command of Gen. THOMAS, in the Fourteenth
                  Corps, Army of the Cumberland. They bore a gallant
                  part in the momentous battles of Stone River,
                  Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge,
                  and afterward participated in the scenes of the
                  Atlanta campaign from Chattanooga to Atlanta. During
                  this period they were under fire nearly every day,
                  bearing their part in all the battles of the campaign.
                  At its conclusion our subject was discharged, his
                  term of service being completed, and was mustered out
                  October 7, 1864.

                  Returning to his home Mr. BAKER became a clerk in the
                  grocery store of EAVEY & CO., Xenia, remaining in the
                  establishment until 1869, in a clerical capacity and
                  assuming a half interest in the house. The firm did
                  both a wholesale and retail trade and was well known
                  in this section of the Buckeye State as one of the
                  most reliable establishments of Xenia. For sixteen
                  years Mr. BAKER was connected with the house, during
                  the various changes it underwent, owning from one-half
                  to the entire interest. When elected to the office in
                  which he is now serving his third term, he sold out
                  his business in order that he might devote himself
                  fully to his public duties.

                  Mr. BAKER votes the Republican ticket, no stancher
                  [sic] supporter of the party being met with than he.
                  He is a Chapter Mason and is also identified with the
                  Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His family consists
                  of a wife and two children, the latter bearing the
                  names of Florence H. and Jessie R. Mrs. BAKER bore
                  the maiden name of Anna P. HARRISON, and was born and
                  reared on a farm near Cedarville, this county, of
                  which her father, James HARRISON was an early settler.
                  The rites of wedlock between herself and our subject
                  were celebrated at her home March 1, 1876. She is a
                  noble woman, true to her family and friends, and
                  intelligently interested in the affairs of mankind.

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4 7:10 AM
                    Cliff,
                    That might not have been your William R. Baker...I get
                    excited sometimes. Just remember that people often
                    got the info on the death certificate wrong.

                    Paula

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4 3:27 PM
                      I found the census for 1930. A William R. Baker is
                      living with Jesse E. Baker and wife Hattie. William
                      R. Baker is 85. It says that his mother and father
                      were both born in NC.

                      =====