Re: [genpcncfir] More Thigpens

  • amaryllish@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
      Please contact me at :
      amaryllish@...
      I have the Gay line that includes some Thigpens.
      Amy W. Hunt

    • bforbes@carolina.rr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
        Just recently I learned that a James Thigpen may have been one of the first
        Caucasian settlers of present-day Pitt County. According to some Thigpen
        family papers that Bill Kittrell sent me, Dr. Thigpen sailed up the Tar
        River from Bath as far as he could safely navigate in 1713, then claimed a
        large tract of land and built a house on its highest point near the river,
        in a location later known as Penny Hill (far NW corner of Pitt near
        Edgecombe County line). The house and surrounding plantation remained in
        the Thigpen family for many years, and there are two old Thigpen cemeteries
        in the area now. Many Thigpens in the US are said to trace their ancestry
        to this line and location, and apparently a trust has been set up by the
        Thigpen family to do some archaeology on the site. I have more info in a
        Word file at home if anyone is interested in this branch of the Thigpen
        family, but be forewarned I cannot verify the info since I'm not sure of
        its source.
        Bob Forbes
        bforbes@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
          Martha Thigpen b 1845 possibly Duplin or Jones Co. NC> Does anyone have
          anything on her? Thanks
          Linda

        • Evelyn Hendricks
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
            When I get time I can help you with the Sally Thigpen and Burrell Gay line.
            They are my great-great grandparents.
            Right now I am trying to get a new computer set up and information
            transferred into it.
            Jog my memory in about ten days if I have not replied by then.
            Evelyn
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
              Bob,
              I am extremely interested in any information that you care to share on this
              family. I am a descendant of James Thigpen that you mention. I will be glad
              to send you what I have on the family--also mostly unverified but I do have
              some Bible records and deeds, etc.
              Evelyn

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                Since I am a Thigpen descendant I would be very interested in any
                information that you care to share. My great-great grandmother was Sally
                Thigpen, daughter of Gilead Thigpen.
                Evelyn Hendricks