More Thigpens

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
      I am trying to tie up the Thigpens I have, here are two more:

      Descendants of Sally Thigpen

      1 Sally Thigpen *****
      . +Burrell Gay
      ........ 2 Bryant Richard Gay 1822 - 1863
      ............ +Matilda Webb 1827 - 1902

      _________________

      Edward Cobb died about 1817
      married Winnifred

      Daughter Sally Cobb married "Thigpen."

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
        More Thigpens

        Descendants of Cora Thigpen

        1 Cora Thigpen 1884 - 1979
        . +Albert Walston 1882 - 1956

        __________________

        Descendants of John Oscar Thigpen

        1 John Oscar Thigpen 1878 - 1939
        . +Lilla Webb 1877 - 1935
        ........ 2 Willis Thigpen 1904 - 1928
        ........ 2 David O. Thigpen 1915 - 1917
        ________________________

        Descendants of Clayton Moore Thigpen

        1 Clayton Moore Thigpen 1872 - 1962
        . +Bettie Daniel 1873 - 1940
        ........ 2 Mary E. Thigpen
        ............ +Ernest Lee Strickland 1882 - 1969
        ........ 2 Lorna Woodard Thigpen 1904 -
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
          Please contact me at :
          amaryllish@...
          I have the Gay line that includes some Thigpens.
          Amy W. Hunt

        • bforbes@carolina.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
            Just recently I learned that a James Thigpen may have been one of the first
            Caucasian settlers of present-day Pitt County. According to some Thigpen
            family papers that Bill Kittrell sent me, Dr. Thigpen sailed up the Tar
            River from Bath as far as he could safely navigate in 1713, then claimed a
            large tract of land and built a house on its highest point near the river,
            in a location later known as Penny Hill (far NW corner of Pitt near
            Edgecombe County line). The house and surrounding plantation remained in
            the Thigpen family for many years, and there are two old Thigpen cemeteries
            in the area now. Many Thigpens in the US are said to trace their ancestry
            to this line and location, and apparently a trust has been set up by the
            Thigpen family to do some archaeology on the site. I have more info in a
            Word file at home if anyone is interested in this branch of the Thigpen
            family, but be forewarned I cannot verify the info since I'm not sure of
            its source.
            Bob Forbes
            bforbes@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
              Martha Thigpen b 1845 possibly Duplin or Jones Co. NC> Does anyone have
              anything on her? Thanks
              Linda

            • Evelyn Hendricks
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
                When I get time I can help you with the Sally Thigpen and Burrell Gay line.
                They are my great-great grandparents.
                Right now I am trying to get a new computer set up and information
                transferred into it.
                Jog my memory in about ten days if I have not replied by then.
                Evelyn

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
                  Bob,
                  I am extremely interested in any information that you care to share on this
                  family. I am a descendant of James Thigpen that you mention. I will be glad
                  to send you what I have on the family--also mostly unverified but I do have
                  some Bible records and deeds, etc.
                  Evelyn

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                    Since I am a Thigpen descendant I would be very interested in any
                    information that you care to share. My great-great grandmother was Sally
                    Thigpen, daughter of Gilead Thigpen.
                    Evelyn Hendricks