James Jefferson Hardy(Hardee)

  • JERRY LEE
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello Group,
      Can anyone tell me where JAMES JEFFERSON HARDY(HARDEE) is buried?
      His father, John Hardy(Hardee) is buried on L.T. Hardee Rd. I have
      Checked all the Cemetary listings on this Web Site and did not find
      it. Maybe I simply overlooked it!
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Jerry Lee ( JRLPOL@... ).
    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        Jerry,

        In Mrs. St. Amand's Cemetery Book, Volume 3, p. 9.
        James J. Hardee Cemetery, on Portertown Road, between Red Banks and
        Simpson.
        Her directions give old road number, SR 1726, near junction of SR 1730.

        Several of J. J. & Pennie's children are buried in the McGowan cemetery.

        Do you need more info from the listing?

        There are two Worthington men in the Hardee cemetery. I would like to
        know how they are related.

        Trish

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
          Dear Jerry, Since I am kin to both James Jefferson
          Hardee and Penelope McGowan, tell me please how you
          descend from these families. James Jefferson Hardee's
          son Charlie Heber Hardee married my mother's cousin
          Letitia Worthington. Their daughter, Doris Louise
          Hardee, married my uncle Alfred Poe Worthington. From
          the McGowan side, my mother's father Alfred
          Worthington was the son of Sarah Frances McGowan and
          Alfred Worthington (1845). Sarah Frances was the
          daughter of Burton McGowan. Her cousin Jacky Ann
          McGowan was my great grandmother. Jacky's father was
          Lemuel McGowan, Sr., son of John McGowan and Sarah
          Teal. Later, Carol
          --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>
          wrote:

          > Jerry,
          >
          > In Mrs. St. Amand's Cemetery Book, Volume 3, p. 9.
          > James J. Hardee Cemetery, on Portertown Road,
          > between Red Banks and
          > Simpson.
          > Her directions give old road number, SR 1726, near
          > junction of SR 1730.
          >
          > Several of J. J. & Pennie's children are buried in
          > the McGowan cemetery.
          >
          > Do you need more info from the listing?
          >
          > There are two Worthington men in the Hardee
          > cemetery. I would like to
          > know how they are related.
          >
          > Trish
          >

          > On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 03:39 PM, JERRY
          > LEE wrote:
          >
          > > Hello Group,
          > > Can anyone tell me where JAMES JEFFERSON
          > HARDY(HARDEE) is buried?
          > > His father, John Hardy(Hardee) is buried on L.T.
          > Hardee Rd. I have
          > > Checked all the Cemetary listings on this Web Site
          > and did not find
          > > it. Maybe I simply overlooked it!
          > > Any help would be appreciated.
          > > Jerry Lee ( JRLPOL@... ).

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Trish Worthington Cobb
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2004
            Carol,
            I see you have made some more progress with Jackie Ann McGowan's
            ancestors. How did you determine that Lemuel McGowan, Sr. was a son of
            John McGowan and Sarah Teal/Teel?
            Do you have any dates for them?
            Do you know John's parents?
            Trish

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9, 2004
              Dear Trish, I learned it from the Pitt County Deed
              Notes and from the will of John McGowan. If I remember
              correctly (I have moved, and my sister boxed my files;
              in one of approximately 60 boxes are my files), John
              McGowan's father was George McGowan. Don't quote me. I
              have copied most of my files onto disks, and these I
              have. Give me a few minutes, and I will put everything
              before you. By the way, I have twisted my sister's
              arm, and she has agreed to come to the Reunion with me
              next month in Greenville. Shortly, Carol

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2004
                Dear Trish, John McGowan (c.1789) and Rachel Teal
                (c.1792) had the following children: Archibald D.
                McGowan (1833); George A. McGowan (1832); Lemuel
                McGowan (1819); William W. McGowan (1815); Burton R.
                McGowan (1836); and John T. McGowan (1826). The will
                of John McGowan was published in one of the
                Genealogical Quarterlies of the Pitt County Family
                Researchers. There were listed 4 sons: Archibald,
                Lemuel, William, and John. Possibly George A. and
                Burton R. had died before their father. About 1860, he
                married Catherine Teal or Teel--related to Micajah
                Teel. John Teel has a website that shows the Teel
                connections. However, I still do not know who Rachel's
                parents were. A will of Rachel McGowan appears in the
                archives in Washington, D.C. I have seen that
                handwritten will but did not have time to xerox it
                when I was there a few years ago. The Burton, son of
                John McGowan, was not the Burton (1819) who was the
                father of Sarah Frances McGowan. Lemuel McGowan was
                the father of my great grandmother Jacky Ann McGowan,
                who was mother of my grandmother Jenny Secession
                McGowan. Jenny was the mother of Uncle Mark, Uncle
                Poe, and Mama through her marriage to Alfred
                Worthington. Archibald McGowan married Chloe Ann
                Galloway; Lisa Scarola descends from them. William W.
                McGowan married Martha Ann Moore. Later, Carol
                wrote:

                > Carol,
                > I see you have made some more progress with Jackie
                > Ann McGowan's
                > ancestors. How did you determine that Lemuel
                > McGowan, Sr. was a son of
                > John McGowan and Sarah Teal/Teel?
                > Do you have any dates for them?
                > Do you know John's parents?
                > Trish
                >

                > On Thursday, September 2, 2004, at 10:11 AM, Carol
                > Singh wrote:
                > ... Jacky Ann McGowan was my great grandmother.
                > Jacky's father was
                > Lemuel McGowan, Sr., son of John McGowan and Sarah
                > Teal. ...

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • lisascarola
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2004
                  If John McGowan's wife Catherine was related to Micajah Teel, then
                  she was probly his daughter that was born in 1822.
                  I wonder if Rachel, John's first wife was Micajah's sister.
                  I don't have a daughter named Rachel listed for James McKennie Teel.
                  Her birthdate is in line with all of James McKennie's children though.

                  Lisa

                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 9, 2004
                    Dear Lisa, Since we had several relatives who married
                    a sister of their deceased wife, what you say makes
                    sense. When I get to Washington again (perhaps early
                    next year), I will copy Rachel's will and see what I
                    can find out. In the meantime, I will check another
                    source I have and see if it provides the confirmation
                    we need. Thanks so much for responding. It's great to
                    hear from you. Later, Carol

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 10, 2004
                      Carol,
                      Thanks for sending this information. It has helped me to sort a few
                      more names.

                      I am glad that you are searching for documents to prove some of this.
                      I have seen very little to prove the McGowan information that is out
                      there.

                      Looking forward to seeing you and Elise in October.
                      Trish

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 13, 2004
                        Dear Trish, By the way, on Jacky Ann McGowan's death
                        certificate (June 1925), Grandpa Alfred Worthington
                        (1871) listed her as 75 year-old widow and place of
                        burial as the Carney Burial Grounds. I had the court
                        house in Greenville search for a marriage record for
                        either Jacky Ann McGowan or William McGowan, but they
                        turned up nothing. McGowans usually married in Kinston
                        (Mama included) though some married in Chicod (two of
                        Sarah Frances McGowan's brothers, for example). Could
                        you check marriage records for these locations to see
                        if you turn up anything on any of our McGowans? Jacky
                        Ann's sister Jenny was born in 1860; she married
                        Robert "Bob" Carney whose mother was a Hatton. Since
                        Jacky named her daughter Jenny Secession McGowan
                        (1879)for her sister Jenny, it makes sense that she
                        was buried in their family cemetery since Grandpa did
                        not purchase his 6 plots in Greenwood until 1934 when
                        Jenny died. I find no record online of a Carney
                        Cemetery and am guessing that it must have been a
                        private cemetery on Carney Family land. Of course, I
                        do not know where Jenny McGowan Carney and her husband
                        lived exactly except that 1850 census records show the
                        Carney family land near that of the McGowans. Burton
                        McGowan actually owned the land on which Poe Jr.
                        lives. If I remember correctly, our great grandfather
                        Alfred Worthington(1845) bought it from Burton--I
                        think I saw it in the Deed Notes annotated by Roger
                        Kammerer at the PCFR web site. The family of James
                        Jefferson Hardee also lived near some McGowan
                        families--Hardee's Run area of Greenville. James
                        Jefferson Hardee married a McGowan daughter. Hardees
                        and McGowans are buried near each other in the
                        Evans-Hardee Cemetery. Another note, both Nancy
                        McGowan and Jacky Ann McGowan sued W. K. McGowan
                        (1894) for false arrest and false imprisonment for
                        having "stolen" wood from his property. Nancy won a
                        $2,500 settlement. Jacky's case was heard
                        separately--scheduled for December 1894. The
                        information was from the Eastern Reflector. Could you
                        try to locate the article on Jacky's case through the
                        Joyner Library archives? Roger Kammerer did not follow
                        the cases though it was from his Deed Notes that I
                        learned of the suit brought against W. K. McGowan,
                        their cousin, from the online archives on their having
                        brought suit. Maybe through sharing, we can solve a
                        few more puzzles. Later, Carol

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com/backtoschool