Re: [genpcncfir] Quaker congregation in Wayne County

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
      The article posted mentioned a Lazaraus Pearson of Wayne County, North
      Carolina. He married into the Edgerton family that are my ancestors.

      Descendants of Lazarus Pearson

      1 Lazarus Pearson 1814 -
      . +Sarah Edgerton 1816 -
      ........ 2 John Thomas Pearson 1837 -
      ........ 2 Sallie A. Pearson 1838 -
      ........ 2 Icabod E. Pearson 1839 -
      ........ 2 Nathan T. Pearson 1840 -
      ........ 2 Elizabeth Pearson 1842 -
      ........ 2 Mary M. Pearson 1847 - 1867
      ........ 2 William L. Pearson 1849 -
      ........ 2 Joseph D. Pearson 1851 - 1870
      ........ 2 Richmond M. Pearson 1855 - 1867

      Many of the Pearsons ended up in Old Fields Township, Wilson County, North
      Carolina. I thought I had the Pearsons linked up in my database but, sadly, that
      is one family I haven't got to yet, even though I do have some of them. Some
      of them married into the Lamm line.

      Rhoda Pearson married John Colyer. The Colyers Colliers are another set of my
      Quaker ancestors. John and Rhoda Pearson migrated to Indiana by 1833.

      John Colyer came to the region of Plain Township in 1833.
      HISTORY OF KOSKIUSKO COUNTY, INDIANA, L. W. Royse, published 1919, Vol. 1,
      pg. 85

      The site of the original Contentnea Monthly Meeting is now on private land
      and not accessible by the public. It lies in the middle of farming land
      privately owned. There was an old Quaker cemetery there but the man owning the land
      said that the graves have no headstones and most graves are just a sunken part
      of the ground now.

      Land for the Quaker MM was donated by the Pikes who are another set of my
      ancestors and the town of Pikeville, North Carolina, is said to be named for the
      Samuel Pike, my direct ancestor, his son, Nathan Pike, and their descendants.

      Quaker rules are strict and as some of them left the Quaker religion for such
      things as "marrying out of unity" which is marrying some one outside the
      Quaker faith, they became Primitive Baptists. Some eventually chose the Penecostal
      faith.

      Faye Hays

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
        That's exactly what I'm finding. Many left to marry
        outside the Quaker faith. I found a couple of books
        that mention the Quakers in NC.

        Paula

        =====
        Paula Baker
        Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and