Re: [genpcncfir] I think I found a treasure/Read all the way through

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
      Dear Paula, I do not know how you found this source,
      but the first-hand account of the ending of the Civil
      War is priceless. It must have been terrible for the
      Confederates as the war came to an end. Once the
      Confederates were scattered, it was truly each man for
      himself fleeing, without knowing whether he was headed
      directly into enemy hands or to safety. I can imagine
      that the wisest course would be to find a place to
      hide, but again how to obtain food and shelter under
      those conditions would have challenged the wisest and
      strongest. It's a wonder that as many soldiers
      survived that war as did--no road maps, no
      intelligence about the movement of troops, and nobody
      to trust, not to mention no money once separated from
      one's unit. Even if a person knew his way home, he had
      no assurance either of safe travel home or of safety
      once he arrived as Union troops had no qualms about
      confiscating "enemy" dwellings to house their own
      soldiers. When I count my blessings, among them is my
      having been spared being alive during those terrible
      years. Thanks for sharing your source. Carol

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • eahsr16@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
        The article posted mentioned a Lazaraus Pearson of Wayne County, North
        Carolina. He married into the Edgerton family that are my ancestors.

        Descendants of Lazarus Pearson

        1 Lazarus Pearson 1814 -
        . +Sarah Edgerton 1816 -
        ........ 2 John Thomas Pearson 1837 -
        ........ 2 Sallie A. Pearson 1838 -
        ........ 2 Icabod E. Pearson 1839 -
        ........ 2 Nathan T. Pearson 1840 -
        ........ 2 Elizabeth Pearson 1842 -
        ........ 2 Mary M. Pearson 1847 - 1867
        ........ 2 William L. Pearson 1849 -
        ........ 2 Joseph D. Pearson 1851 - 1870
        ........ 2 Richmond M. Pearson 1855 - 1867

        Many of the Pearsons ended up in Old Fields Township, Wilson County, North
        Carolina. I thought I had the Pearsons linked up in my database but, sadly, that
        is one family I haven't got to yet, even though I do have some of them. Some
        of them married into the Lamm line.

        Rhoda Pearson married John Colyer. The Colyers Colliers are another set of my
        Quaker ancestors. John and Rhoda Pearson migrated to Indiana by 1833.

        John Colyer came to the region of Plain Township in 1833.
        HISTORY OF KOSKIUSKO COUNTY, INDIANA, L. W. Royse, published 1919, Vol. 1,
        pg. 85

        The site of the original Contentnea Monthly Meeting is now on private land
        and not accessible by the public. It lies in the middle of farming land
        privately owned. There was an old Quaker cemetery there but the man owning the land
        said that the graves have no headstones and most graves are just a sunken part
        of the ground now.

        Land for the Quaker MM was donated by the Pikes who are another set of my
        ancestors and the town of Pikeville, North Carolina, is said to be named for the
        Samuel Pike, my direct ancestor, his son, Nathan Pike, and their descendants.

        Quaker rules are strict and as some of them left the Quaker religion for such
        things as "marrying out of unity" which is marrying some one outside the
        Quaker faith, they became Primitive Baptists. Some eventually chose the Penecostal
        faith.

        Faye Hays

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
          That's exactly what I'm finding. Many left to marry
          outside the Quaker faith. I found a couple of books
          that mention the Quakers in NC.

          Paula

          =====