Quaker congregation in Wayne County

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
      If anyone is on the Wayne list, please forward the
      link. What was interesting to me is the info about
      the Quaker settlement or congregation being quite
      large in Wayne. My Greene County Bakers may have had
      some links to Wayne County, but not necessarily to the
      Quaker congregation.

      Paula

      =====

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
        Dear Paula, I do not know how you found this source,
        but the first-hand account of the ending of the Civil
        War is priceless. It must have been terrible for the
        Confederates as the war came to an end. Once the
        Confederates were scattered, it was truly each man for
        himself fleeing, without knowing whether he was headed
        directly into enemy hands or to safety. I can imagine
        that the wisest course would be to find a place to
        hide, but again how to obtain food and shelter under
        those conditions would have challenged the wisest and
        strongest. It's a wonder that as many soldiers
        survived that war as did--no road maps, no
        intelligence about the movement of troops, and nobody
        to trust, not to mention no money once separated from
        one's unit. Even if a person knew his way home, he had
        no assurance either of safe travel home or of safety
        once he arrived as Union troops had no qualms about
        confiscating "enemy" dwellings to house their own
        soldiers. When I count my blessings, among them is my
        having been spared being alive during those terrible
        years. Thanks for sharing your source. Carol

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • eahsr16@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
          The article posted mentioned a Lazaraus Pearson of Wayne County, North
          Carolina. He married into the Edgerton family that are my ancestors.

          Descendants of Lazarus Pearson

          1 Lazarus Pearson 1814 -
          . +Sarah Edgerton 1816 -
          ........ 2 John Thomas Pearson 1837 -
          ........ 2 Sallie A. Pearson 1838 -
          ........ 2 Icabod E. Pearson 1839 -
          ........ 2 Nathan T. Pearson 1840 -
          ........ 2 Elizabeth Pearson 1842 -
          ........ 2 Mary M. Pearson 1847 - 1867
          ........ 2 William L. Pearson 1849 -
          ........ 2 Joseph D. Pearson 1851 - 1870
          ........ 2 Richmond M. Pearson 1855 - 1867

          Many of the Pearsons ended up in Old Fields Township, Wilson County, North
          Carolina. I thought I had the Pearsons linked up in my database but, sadly, that
          is one family I haven't got to yet, even though I do have some of them. Some
          of them married into the Lamm line.

          Rhoda Pearson married John Colyer. The Colyers Colliers are another set of my
          Quaker ancestors. John and Rhoda Pearson migrated to Indiana by 1833.

          John Colyer came to the region of Plain Township in 1833.
          HISTORY OF KOSKIUSKO COUNTY, INDIANA, L. W. Royse, published 1919, Vol. 1,
          pg. 85

          The site of the original Contentnea Monthly Meeting is now on private land
          and not accessible by the public. It lies in the middle of farming land
          privately owned. There was an old Quaker cemetery there but the man owning the land
          said that the graves have no headstones and most graves are just a sunken part
          of the ground now.

          Land for the Quaker MM was donated by the Pikes who are another set of my
          ancestors and the town of Pikeville, North Carolina, is said to be named for the
          Samuel Pike, my direct ancestor, his son, Nathan Pike, and their descendants.

          Quaker rules are strict and as some of them left the Quaker religion for such
          things as "marrying out of unity" which is marrying some one outside the
          Quaker faith, they became Primitive Baptists. Some eventually chose the Penecostal
          faith.

          Faye Hays

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
            That's exactly what I'm finding. Many left to marry
            outside the Quaker faith. I found a couple of books
            that mention the Quakers in NC.

            Paula

            =====