Re: [genpcncfir] Re: John Joyner

  • Edith Cox
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 23, 2004
      John Joyner and Clara May are my husband's ggg grandparents. I
      also used the Tyson-May Genealogy (available at the museum in Farmville,
      NC). Lisa Scarola answered my query and gave me information on John Joyner,
      Sr and his wife, Elizabeth Tyson, as the parents of John Joyer (Jr.) I have
      not proved this at this point. I also used The Pitt Chronicles, Vol. I, as a
      Joyner source. Perhaps Lisa has more information than I do.
      Edith Cox
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
        Margaret,

        I was given this info by a decendant of Huel Hemby, I'm not sure what
        his source was. I have not found proof yet either, or the parents of
        his Tyson wife.

        Lisa

        -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS"

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
          http://www.geocities.com/quakerpages/neave02.htm

          =====
          Paula Baker
          Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
        • Lou-BB
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
            WOW! This was quite lengthy, but worth reading to the end. I didn't seen any
            kinfolks names, but felt I knew some of the names mentioned. What a "GOLD
            MINE" you found Paula. Thanks for sharing it with us. Linda Bottoms Bass

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
              If anyone is on the Wayne list, please forward the
              link. What was interesting to me is the info about
              the Quaker settlement or congregation being quite
              large in Wayne. My Greene County Bakers may have had
              some links to Wayne County, but not necessarily to the
              Quaker congregation.

              Paula

              =====

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                Dear Paula, I do not know how you found this source,
                but the first-hand account of the ending of the Civil
                War is priceless. It must have been terrible for the
                Confederates as the war came to an end. Once the
                Confederates were scattered, it was truly each man for
                himself fleeing, without knowing whether he was headed
                directly into enemy hands or to safety. I can imagine
                that the wisest course would be to find a place to
                hide, but again how to obtain food and shelter under
                those conditions would have challenged the wisest and
                strongest. It's a wonder that as many soldiers
                survived that war as did--no road maps, no
                intelligence about the movement of troops, and nobody
                to trust, not to mention no money once separated from
                one's unit. Even if a person knew his way home, he had
                no assurance either of safe travel home or of safety
                once he arrived as Union troops had no qualms about
                confiscating "enemy" dwellings to house their own
                soldiers. When I count my blessings, among them is my
                having been spared being alive during those terrible
                years. Thanks for sharing your source. Carol

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • eahsr16@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                  The article posted mentioned a Lazaraus Pearson of Wayne County, North
                  Carolina. He married into the Edgerton family that are my ancestors.

                  Descendants of Lazarus Pearson

                  1 Lazarus Pearson 1814 -
                  . +Sarah Edgerton 1816 -
                  ........ 2 John Thomas Pearson 1837 -
                  ........ 2 Sallie A. Pearson 1838 -
                  ........ 2 Icabod E. Pearson 1839 -
                  ........ 2 Nathan T. Pearson 1840 -
                  ........ 2 Elizabeth Pearson 1842 -
                  ........ 2 Mary M. Pearson 1847 - 1867
                  ........ 2 William L. Pearson 1849 -
                  ........ 2 Joseph D. Pearson 1851 - 1870
                  ........ 2 Richmond M. Pearson 1855 - 1867

                  Many of the Pearsons ended up in Old Fields Township, Wilson County, North
                  Carolina. I thought I had the Pearsons linked up in my database but, sadly, that
                  is one family I haven't got to yet, even though I do have some of them. Some
                  of them married into the Lamm line.

                  Rhoda Pearson married John Colyer. The Colyers Colliers are another set of my
                  Quaker ancestors. John and Rhoda Pearson migrated to Indiana by 1833.

                  John Colyer came to the region of Plain Township in 1833.
                  HISTORY OF KOSKIUSKO COUNTY, INDIANA, L. W. Royse, published 1919, Vol. 1,
                  pg. 85

                  The site of the original Contentnea Monthly Meeting is now on private land
                  and not accessible by the public. It lies in the middle of farming land
                  privately owned. There was an old Quaker cemetery there but the man owning the land
                  said that the graves have no headstones and most graves are just a sunken part
                  of the ground now.

                  Land for the Quaker MM was donated by the Pikes who are another set of my
                  ancestors and the town of Pikeville, North Carolina, is said to be named for the
                  Samuel Pike, my direct ancestor, his son, Nathan Pike, and their descendants.

                  Quaker rules are strict and as some of them left the Quaker religion for such
                  things as "marrying out of unity" which is marrying some one outside the
                  Quaker faith, they became Primitive Baptists. Some eventually chose the Penecostal
                  faith.

                  Faye Hays

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                    That's exactly what I'm finding. Many left to marry
                    outside the Quaker faith. I found a couple of books
                    that mention the Quakers in NC.

                    Paula

                    =====