Re: [genpcncfir] Re: John Joyner

  • squizzie
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 11, 2004
      Ginni,

      Martha married Thomas Clark correct,? They had a son named John
      Clark, 1857? Who was this John married to?

      Marilyn
      squizzie@...

    • Ginni
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 11, 2004
        Marilyn,
        How in the world are u ???
        I just found all this an it will take time to explain! can't now as I have a hurricane coming up my front door. They say we are dead center, my luck hasn't been one here in 30 yrs! OH WELL WILL BE OVER BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON .
        Next week if I still have a house, the hurricane isn't the problem it's the storm surge. 10 ft. or more, I'm only 13 ft. above sea level. Water damage. Got run,
        Ginni

      • squizzie
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 15, 2004
          Ginni,

          Until you accept my name into your mailing list from aol. I will have to
          answer thru the group site. Hope you and your family are okay after
          CHARLEY.

          Love cousin,

          Marilyn
          squizzie@...

        • squizzie
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 15, 2004
            Ginni,

            Meant Earthlink not aol.

            Marilyn

          • RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 23, 2004
              Would you mind giving us your sources for the information about John Joyner,
              Jr. being the son of John Joyner born 17i40 and Elizabeth Tyson. And the
              first wife, Anna Albertson. Would appreciate this information. I have been
              chasing these people for a long time and I can't seem to be able to prove
              this! Margaret also chasing Tyson, Willoughby, Foreman, Cobb, etc.,
              etc.
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 23, 2004
                John Joyner and Clara May are my husband's ggg grandparents. I
                also used the Tyson-May Genealogy (available at the museum in Farmville,
                NC). Lisa Scarola answered my query and gave me information on John Joyner,
                Sr and his wife, Elizabeth Tyson, as the parents of John Joyer (Jr.) I have
                not proved this at this point. I also used The Pitt Chronicles, Vol. I, as a
                Joyner source. Perhaps Lisa has more information than I do.
                Edith Cox
                > Would you mind giving us your sources for the information about John
                Joyner,
                > Jr. being the son of John Joyner born 17i40 and Elizabeth Tyson. And the
                > first wife, Anna Albertson. Would appreciate this information. I have
                been
                > chasing these people for a long time and I can't seem to be able to prove
                > this! Margaret also chasing Tyson, Willoughby, Foreman, Cobb, etc.,
                > etc.

              • lisascarola
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
                  Margaret,

                  I was given this info by a decendant of Huel Hemby, I'm not sure what
                  his source was. I have not found proof yet either, or the parents of
                  his Tyson wife.

                  Lisa

                  -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS"

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
                    http://www.geocities.com/quakerpages/neave02.htm

                    =====
                    Paula Baker
                    Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                  • Lou-BB
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
                      WOW! This was quite lengthy, but worth reading to the end. I didn't seen any
                      kinfolks names, but felt I knew some of the names mentioned. What a "GOLD
                      MINE" you found Paula. Thanks for sharing it with us. Linda Bottoms Bass

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                        If anyone is on the Wayne list, please forward the
                        link. What was interesting to me is the info about
                        the Quaker settlement or congregation being quite
                        large in Wayne. My Greene County Bakers may have had
                        some links to Wayne County, but not necessarily to the
                        Quaker congregation.

                        Paula

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                          Dear Paula, I do not know how you found this source,
                          but the first-hand account of the ending of the Civil
                          War is priceless. It must have been terrible for the
                          Confederates as the war came to an end. Once the
                          Confederates were scattered, it was truly each man for
                          himself fleeing, without knowing whether he was headed
                          directly into enemy hands or to safety. I can imagine
                          that the wisest course would be to find a place to
                          hide, but again how to obtain food and shelter under
                          those conditions would have challenged the wisest and
                          strongest. It's a wonder that as many soldiers
                          survived that war as did--no road maps, no
                          intelligence about the movement of troops, and nobody
                          to trust, not to mention no money once separated from
                          one's unit. Even if a person knew his way home, he had
                          no assurance either of safe travel home or of safety
                          once he arrived as Union troops had no qualms about
                          confiscating "enemy" dwellings to house their own
                          soldiers. When I count my blessings, among them is my
                          having been spared being alive during those terrible
                          years. Thanks for sharing your source. Carol

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        • eahsr16@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                            The article posted mentioned a Lazaraus Pearson of Wayne County, North
                            Carolina. He married into the Edgerton family that are my ancestors.

                            Descendants of Lazarus Pearson

                            1 Lazarus Pearson 1814 -
                            . +Sarah Edgerton 1816 -
                            ........ 2 John Thomas Pearson 1837 -
                            ........ 2 Sallie A. Pearson 1838 -
                            ........ 2 Icabod E. Pearson 1839 -
                            ........ 2 Nathan T. Pearson 1840 -
                            ........ 2 Elizabeth Pearson 1842 -
                            ........ 2 Mary M. Pearson 1847 - 1867
                            ........ 2 William L. Pearson 1849 -
                            ........ 2 Joseph D. Pearson 1851 - 1870
                            ........ 2 Richmond M. Pearson 1855 - 1867

                            Many of the Pearsons ended up in Old Fields Township, Wilson County, North
                            Carolina. I thought I had the Pearsons linked up in my database but, sadly, that
                            is one family I haven't got to yet, even though I do have some of them. Some
                            of them married into the Lamm line.

                            Rhoda Pearson married John Colyer. The Colyers Colliers are another set of my
                            Quaker ancestors. John and Rhoda Pearson migrated to Indiana by 1833.

                            John Colyer came to the region of Plain Township in 1833.
                            HISTORY OF KOSKIUSKO COUNTY, INDIANA, L. W. Royse, published 1919, Vol. 1,
                            pg. 85

                            The site of the original Contentnea Monthly Meeting is now on private land
                            and not accessible by the public. It lies in the middle of farming land
                            privately owned. There was an old Quaker cemetery there but the man owning the land
                            said that the graves have no headstones and most graves are just a sunken part
                            of the ground now.

                            Land for the Quaker MM was donated by the Pikes who are another set of my
                            ancestors and the town of Pikeville, North Carolina, is said to be named for the
                            Samuel Pike, my direct ancestor, his son, Nathan Pike, and their descendants.

                            Quaker rules are strict and as some of them left the Quaker religion for such
                            things as "marrying out of unity" which is marrying some one outside the
                            Quaker faith, they became Primitive Baptists. Some eventually chose the Penecostal
                            faith.

                            Faye Hays

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                              That's exactly what I'm finding. Many left to marry
                              outside the Quaker faith. I found a couple of books
                              that mention the Quakers in NC.

                              Paula

                              =====