Re: [genpcncfir] Re: John Joyner

  • Ginni
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 10, 2004
      Lisa, Edith.
      I have a will of John Joyner at home,area Va. Bertie,Hertford , wife's name Elizabeth. Same time frame,my luck I'm out of town. In it he gave a plantation to his daughter Martha (I think) for love and as long as she lived. She was m. to Thomas Clark, they had a son John, 1857. Does this apply to either of your families? John Clark is my BRICK wall, b. 1757 Hertford,Bertie, d. 1845 Martin Co. NC
      Ginni

    • lisascarola
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 10, 2004
        Ginni,

        John Joyner and Elizabeth Tyson had a grand daughter Martha Joyner b
        1812, daughter of their son John Joyner Jr and his wife Mary Clara
        May.

        Lisa

        -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Ginni" <virginiacurtis@e...> wrote:
        > Lisa, Edith.
        > I have a will of John Joyner at home,area Va. Bertie,Hertford ,
        wife's name Elizabeth. Same time frame,my luck I'm out of town. In
        it he gave a plantation to his daughter Martha (I think) for love and
        as long as she lived. She was m. to Thomas Clark, they had a son
        John, 1857. Does this apply to either of your families? John Clark
        is my BRICK wall, b. 1757 Hertford,Bertie, d. 1845 Martin Co. NC
        > Ginni

      • squizzie
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 11, 2004
          Ginni,

          Martha married Thomas Clark correct,? They had a son named John
          Clark, 1857? Who was this John married to?

          Marilyn
          squizzie@...

        • Ginni
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 11, 2004
            Marilyn,
            How in the world are u ???
            I just found all this an it will take time to explain! can't now as I have a hurricane coming up my front door. They say we are dead center, my luck hasn't been one here in 30 yrs! OH WELL WILL BE OVER BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON .
            Next week if I still have a house, the hurricane isn't the problem it's the storm surge. 10 ft. or more, I'm only 13 ft. above sea level. Water damage. Got run,
            Ginni

          • squizzie
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 15, 2004
              Ginni,

              Until you accept my name into your mailing list from aol. I will have to
              answer thru the group site. Hope you and your family are okay after
              CHARLEY.

              Love cousin,

              Marilyn
              squizzie@...

            • squizzie
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 15, 2004
                Ginni,

                Meant Earthlink not aol.

                Marilyn

              • RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 23, 2004
                  Would you mind giving us your sources for the information about John Joyner,
                  Jr. being the son of John Joyner born 17i40 and Elizabeth Tyson. And the
                  first wife, Anna Albertson. Would appreciate this information. I have been
                  chasing these people for a long time and I can't seem to be able to prove
                  this! Margaret also chasing Tyson, Willoughby, Foreman, Cobb, etc.,
                  etc.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 23, 2004
                    John Joyner and Clara May are my husband's ggg grandparents. I
                    also used the Tyson-May Genealogy (available at the museum in Farmville,
                    NC). Lisa Scarola answered my query and gave me information on John Joyner,
                    Sr and his wife, Elizabeth Tyson, as the parents of John Joyer (Jr.) I have
                    not proved this at this point. I also used The Pitt Chronicles, Vol. I, as a
                    Joyner source. Perhaps Lisa has more information than I do.
                    Edith Cox

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
                      Margaret,

                      I was given this info by a decendant of Huel Hemby, I'm not sure what
                      his source was. I have not found proof yet either, or the parents of
                      his Tyson wife.

                      Lisa

                      -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS"

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
                        http://www.geocities.com/quakerpages/neave02.htm

                        =====
                        Paula Baker
                        Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                      • Lou-BB
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 24, 2004
                          WOW! This was quite lengthy, but worth reading to the end. I didn't seen any
                          kinfolks names, but felt I knew some of the names mentioned. What a "GOLD
                          MINE" you found Paula. Thanks for sharing it with us. Linda Bottoms Bass

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                            If anyone is on the Wayne list, please forward the
                            link. What was interesting to me is the info about
                            the Quaker settlement or congregation being quite
                            large in Wayne. My Greene County Bakers may have had
                            some links to Wayne County, but not necessarily to the
                            Quaker congregation.

                            Paula

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                              Dear Paula, I do not know how you found this source,
                              but the first-hand account of the ending of the Civil
                              War is priceless. It must have been terrible for the
                              Confederates as the war came to an end. Once the
                              Confederates were scattered, it was truly each man for
                              himself fleeing, without knowing whether he was headed
                              directly into enemy hands or to safety. I can imagine
                              that the wisest course would be to find a place to
                              hide, but again how to obtain food and shelter under
                              those conditions would have challenged the wisest and
                              strongest. It's a wonder that as many soldiers
                              survived that war as did--no road maps, no
                              intelligence about the movement of troops, and nobody
                              to trust, not to mention no money once separated from
                              one's unit. Even if a person knew his way home, he had
                              no assurance either of safe travel home or of safety
                              once he arrived as Union troops had no qualms about
                              confiscating "enemy" dwellings to house their own
                              soldiers. When I count my blessings, among them is my
                              having been spared being alive during those terrible
                              years. Thanks for sharing your source. Carol

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                            • eahsr16@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                                The article posted mentioned a Lazaraus Pearson of Wayne County, North
                                Carolina. He married into the Edgerton family that are my ancestors.

                                Descendants of Lazarus Pearson

                                1 Lazarus Pearson 1814 -
                                . +Sarah Edgerton 1816 -
                                ........ 2 John Thomas Pearson 1837 -
                                ........ 2 Sallie A. Pearson 1838 -
                                ........ 2 Icabod E. Pearson 1839 -
                                ........ 2 Nathan T. Pearson 1840 -
                                ........ 2 Elizabeth Pearson 1842 -
                                ........ 2 Mary M. Pearson 1847 - 1867
                                ........ 2 William L. Pearson 1849 -
                                ........ 2 Joseph D. Pearson 1851 - 1870
                                ........ 2 Richmond M. Pearson 1855 - 1867

                                Many of the Pearsons ended up in Old Fields Township, Wilson County, North
                                Carolina. I thought I had the Pearsons linked up in my database but, sadly, that
                                is one family I haven't got to yet, even though I do have some of them. Some
                                of them married into the Lamm line.

                                Rhoda Pearson married John Colyer. The Colyers Colliers are another set of my
                                Quaker ancestors. John and Rhoda Pearson migrated to Indiana by 1833.

                                John Colyer came to the region of Plain Township in 1833.
                                HISTORY OF KOSKIUSKO COUNTY, INDIANA, L. W. Royse, published 1919, Vol. 1,
                                pg. 85

                                The site of the original Contentnea Monthly Meeting is now on private land
                                and not accessible by the public. It lies in the middle of farming land
                                privately owned. There was an old Quaker cemetery there but the man owning the land
                                said that the graves have no headstones and most graves are just a sunken part
                                of the ground now.

                                Land for the Quaker MM was donated by the Pikes who are another set of my
                                ancestors and the town of Pikeville, North Carolina, is said to be named for the
                                Samuel Pike, my direct ancestor, his son, Nathan Pike, and their descendants.

                                Quaker rules are strict and as some of them left the Quaker religion for such
                                things as "marrying out of unity" which is marrying some one outside the
                                Quaker faith, they became Primitive Baptists. Some eventually chose the Penecostal
                                faith.

                                Faye Hays

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 25, 2004
                                  That's exactly what I'm finding. Many left to marry
                                  outside the Quaker faith. I found a couple of books
                                  that mention the Quakers in NC.

                                  Paula

                                  =====