Court record

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2004
      I came across this early record of a "beating" in early Perquimans County,
      North Carolina in 1703.

      North Carolina Early Court Records, Colonial Records 09 Mar 1703.

      "Whereas upon the information of Samuell Charles' charge of Jean Richards
      having a bastard child, the said Jean Richards appearing takes oath that
      Lawrence Arnold is the only father to her said Child." Court Ordered that Jean
      Richards receive 21 stripes. The child was named John Arnold.

      Faye Hays