John Joyner

  • Edith Cox
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 7 8:08 AM
      Looking for identity and family of John Joyner who married Elizabeth ? What was Elizabeth's maiden name? John & Elizabeth were parents of John Joyner b. 1779-d. 1853 (who married Clara May, daughter of Benjamin May.)
      Any help will be appreciated!
      Edith Cox

    • lisascarola
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 7 8:52 AM
        Edith,

        John Jr, was the son of John Joyner born 1740 and Elizabeth Tyson.
        John Sr, had been previously married to Ann Albertson

        Lisa

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Edith Cox" <edieanne@e...> wrote:
        > Looking for identity and family of John Joyner who married
        Elizabeth ? What was Elizabeth's maiden name? John & Elizabeth were
        parents of John Joyner b. 1779-d. 1853 (who married Clara May,
        daughter of Benjamin May.)
        > Any help will be appreciated!
        > Edith Cox

      • Edith Cox
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 7 6:27 PM
          Lisa,
          Thanks so much for sharing!
          Edith
          > John Jr, was the son of John Joyner born 1740 and Elizabeth Tyson.
          > John Sr, had been previously married to Ann Albertson
          >
          > Lisa
          >

          > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Edith Cox" <edieanne@e...> wrote:
          > > Looking for identity and family of John Joyner who married
          > Elizabeth ? What was Elizabeth's maiden name? John & Elizabeth were
          > parents of John Joyner b. 1779-d. 1853 (who married Clara May,
          > daughter of Benjamin May.)
          > > Any help will be appreciated!
          > > Edith Cox

          > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        • Ginni
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 10 7:17 PM
            Lisa, Edith.
            I have a will of John Joyner at home,area Va. Bertie,Hertford , wife's name Elizabeth. Same time frame,my luck I'm out of town. In it he gave a plantation to his daughter Martha (I think) for love and as long as she lived. She was m. to Thomas Clark, they had a son John, 1857. Does this apply to either of your families? John Clark is my BRICK wall, b. 1757 Hertford,Bertie, d. 1845 Martin Co. NC
            Ginni

          • lisascarola
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 10 8:17 PM
              Ginni,

              John Joyner and Elizabeth Tyson had a grand daughter Martha Joyner b
              1812, daughter of their son John Joyner Jr and his wife Mary Clara
              May.

              Lisa

              -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Ginni" <virginiacurtis@e...> wrote:
              > Lisa, Edith.
              > I have a will of John Joyner at home,area Va. Bertie,Hertford ,
              wife's name Elizabeth. Same time frame,my luck I'm out of town. In
              it he gave a plantation to his daughter Martha (I think) for love and
              as long as she lived. She was m. to Thomas Clark, they had a son
              John, 1857. Does this apply to either of your families? John Clark
              is my BRICK wall, b. 1757 Hertford,Bertie, d. 1845 Martin Co. NC
              > Ginni

            • squizzie
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 11 5:29 PM
                Ginni,

                Martha married Thomas Clark correct,? They had a son named John
                Clark, 1857? Who was this John married to?

                Marilyn
                squizzie@...

              • Ginni
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 11 7:22 PM
                  Marilyn,
                  How in the world are u ???
                  I just found all this an it will take time to explain! can't now as I have a hurricane coming up my front door. They say we are dead center, my luck hasn't been one here in 30 yrs! OH WELL WILL BE OVER BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON .
                  Next week if I still have a house, the hurricane isn't the problem it's the storm surge. 10 ft. or more, I'm only 13 ft. above sea level. Water damage. Got run,
                  Ginni

                • squizzie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 15 2:48 PM
                    Ginni,

                    Until you accept my name into your mailing list from aol. I will have to
                    answer thru the group site. Hope you and your family are okay after
                    CHARLEY.

                    Love cousin,

                    Marilyn
                    squizzie@...

                  • squizzie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 15 2:49 PM
                      Ginni,

                      Meant Earthlink not aol.

                      Marilyn

                    • RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 23 3:23 PM
                        Would you mind giving us your sources for the information about John Joyner,
                        Jr. being the son of John Joyner born 17i40 and Elizabeth Tyson. And the
                        first wife, Anna Albertson. Would appreciate this information. I have been
                        chasing these people for a long time and I can't seem to be able to prove
                        this! Margaret also chasing Tyson, Willoughby, Foreman, Cobb, etc.,
                        etc.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 23 5:06 PM
                          John Joyner and Clara May are my husband's ggg grandparents. I
                          also used the Tyson-May Genealogy (available at the museum in Farmville,
                          NC). Lisa Scarola answered my query and gave me information on John Joyner,
                          Sr and his wife, Elizabeth Tyson, as the parents of John Joyer (Jr.) I have
                          not proved this at this point. I also used The Pitt Chronicles, Vol. I, as a
                          Joyner source. Perhaps Lisa has more information than I do.
                          Edith Cox

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 24 8:18 AM
                            Margaret,

                            I was given this info by a decendant of Huel Hemby, I'm not sure what
                            his source was. I have not found proof yet either, or the parents of
                            his Tyson wife.

                            Lisa

                            -- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS"

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 24 1:08 PM
                              http://www.geocities.com/quakerpages/neave02.htm

                              =====
                              Paula Baker
                              Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                            • Lou-BB
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 24 6:34 PM
                                WOW! This was quite lengthy, but worth reading to the end. I didn't seen any
                                kinfolks names, but felt I knew some of the names mentioned. What a "GOLD
                                MINE" you found Paula. Thanks for sharing it with us. Linda Bottoms Bass

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 25 4:56 AM
                                  If anyone is on the Wayne list, please forward the
                                  link. What was interesting to me is the info about
                                  the Quaker settlement or congregation being quite
                                  large in Wayne. My Greene County Bakers may have had
                                  some links to Wayne County, but not necessarily to the
                                  Quaker congregation.

                                  Paula

                                  =====

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 25 6:48 AM
                                    Dear Paula, I do not know how you found this source,
                                    but the first-hand account of the ending of the Civil
                                    War is priceless. It must have been terrible for the
                                    Confederates as the war came to an end. Once the
                                    Confederates were scattered, it was truly each man for
                                    himself fleeing, without knowing whether he was headed
                                    directly into enemy hands or to safety. I can imagine
                                    that the wisest course would be to find a place to
                                    hide, but again how to obtain food and shelter under
                                    those conditions would have challenged the wisest and
                                    strongest. It's a wonder that as many soldiers
                                    survived that war as did--no road maps, no
                                    intelligence about the movement of troops, and nobody
                                    to trust, not to mention no money once separated from
                                    one's unit. Even if a person knew his way home, he had
                                    no assurance either of safe travel home or of safety
                                    once he arrived as Union troops had no qualms about
                                    confiscating "enemy" dwellings to house their own
                                    soldiers. When I count my blessings, among them is my
                                    having been spared being alive during those terrible
                                    years. Thanks for sharing your source. Carol

                                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                  • eahsr16@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 25 9:52 AM
                                      The article posted mentioned a Lazaraus Pearson of Wayne County, North
                                      Carolina. He married into the Edgerton family that are my ancestors.

                                      Descendants of Lazarus Pearson

                                      1 Lazarus Pearson 1814 -
                                      . +Sarah Edgerton 1816 -
                                      ........ 2 John Thomas Pearson 1837 -
                                      ........ 2 Sallie A. Pearson 1838 -
                                      ........ 2 Icabod E. Pearson 1839 -
                                      ........ 2 Nathan T. Pearson 1840 -
                                      ........ 2 Elizabeth Pearson 1842 -
                                      ........ 2 Mary M. Pearson 1847 - 1867
                                      ........ 2 William L. Pearson 1849 -
                                      ........ 2 Joseph D. Pearson 1851 - 1870
                                      ........ 2 Richmond M. Pearson 1855 - 1867

                                      Many of the Pearsons ended up in Old Fields Township, Wilson County, North
                                      Carolina. I thought I had the Pearsons linked up in my database but, sadly, that
                                      is one family I haven't got to yet, even though I do have some of them. Some
                                      of them married into the Lamm line.

                                      Rhoda Pearson married John Colyer. The Colyers Colliers are another set of my
                                      Quaker ancestors. John and Rhoda Pearson migrated to Indiana by 1833.

                                      John Colyer came to the region of Plain Township in 1833.
                                      HISTORY OF KOSKIUSKO COUNTY, INDIANA, L. W. Royse, published 1919, Vol. 1,
                                      pg. 85

                                      The site of the original Contentnea Monthly Meeting is now on private land
                                      and not accessible by the public. It lies in the middle of farming land
                                      privately owned. There was an old Quaker cemetery there but the man owning the land
                                      said that the graves have no headstones and most graves are just a sunken part
                                      of the ground now.

                                      Land for the Quaker MM was donated by the Pikes who are another set of my
                                      ancestors and the town of Pikeville, North Carolina, is said to be named for the
                                      Samuel Pike, my direct ancestor, his son, Nathan Pike, and their descendants.

                                      Quaker rules are strict and as some of them left the Quaker religion for such
                                      things as "marrying out of unity" which is marrying some one outside the
                                      Quaker faith, they became Primitive Baptists. Some eventually chose the Penecostal
                                      faith.

                                      Faye Hays

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 25 6:23 PM
                                        That's exactly what I'm finding. Many left to marry
                                        outside the Quaker faith. I found a couple of books
                                        that mention the Quakers in NC.

                                        Paula

                                        =====