genealogy.com - Family Tree Maker

  • LdMel1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
      I would like for each of you to know the policy that Genealogy.com has so
      you don't get caught like I got caught. Not realizing when my subscription was
      renewing they renewed it on June 8 and my CC closing date was July 5 and I
      have just received my Statement. Therefore I called them to cancel the
      Subscription and was advised I can cancel for next year only because it is over 30
      days from June 8th. No exceptions!! I am not very happy about this, but
      seems there is nothing I can do about it. They billed me for $183.60 and
      another charge of $19.34 which they say is for Family Tree Maker 11 whether you
      want it or not. They now have a deal that you can get it for $179.95 for one
      year. I have heard others discuss their dissatisfaction with Genealogy and now
      I join the groups. Don't let them get you!
      Linda Melvin

    • eahsr16@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
        Is this policy stated anywhere on their site in print? Is there anywhere they
        can say that it was public notice. Note, if it is, how fine the print is, and
        how hard to find. Find anything that you can report to your credit card
        company. You might even ask if others have been victims of the same policy.

        Then talk to your Credit Card company. I use Capital One for the internet
        and they guarantee that you will never pay for fraud. See if they can help you.
        If you did not authorize the payment, then there should be a remedy. Get in
        there fast with the results.

        I'm sure there is a remedy, just not sure what it is yet. But, honey, as the
        saying goes, I'd be all over them like rain.

        Faye Hays

      • Winack27@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
          Ancestry.com did me about the same way, except that I belong to two different
          levels. It looks like I can`t get into either without joining another level

        • eahsr16@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
            On this page, the statement is made that We will notify you before billing
            your credit card each year.

            http://www.genealogy.com/cpc/land_mem_ft_tan.html?priority=5110221

            and then this is their information, plus an 800 number to call.

            The auto billing information is on this page.

            http://www.genealogy.com/money_back.html#auto

            Faye Hays