Tuscarora Indians in Elm City, NC

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
      If anyone has access to the online version of The Wilson Daily Times, or if
      you receive the newspaper, I am interested in a front page article, dated July
      12, 2004

      Colorada Lawyers will push Tuscarora Cause

      Thanks,

      Faye Hays

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
        Interesting!

        Try this link

        http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/charlotte/news/breaking_news/
        8955994.htm

        On Monday, July 12, 2004, at 12:55 PM, eahsr16@... wrote:

        > If anyone has access to the online version of The Wilson Daily Times,
        > or if
        > you receive the newspaper, I am interested in a front page article,
        > dated July
        > 12, 2004
        >
        > Colorada Lawyers will push Tuscarora Cause
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Faye Hays

        > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS
        > earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:

        > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

        > group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
        > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
        > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      • Trish Worthington Cobb
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
          Note: You will need to cut & paste the second line of the url to get to
          the page with this article.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
            Thanks for the quick reply! How interesting, considering they were supposted
            to have been driven out of North Carolina after the 1711 uprising!

            As for the rest, ?????

            I am descended through the Boykins in Wilson County and one of their wives'
            last name is Jacobs. I had read somewhere along the way, in something somewhere
            (I read a lot, and this was way back) that she was an Indian. It's been
            sometime since I looked at the Boykins line so can't say for sure which Boykin she
            married. And I see one of the names in the article is Jacobs.

            Another one of the Boykins married a Mary Lindsey, daughter of Sion Lindsey,
            who was also supposed to have Indian heritage.

            Then there are Tuckers, Richardsons, Taylors, and others that I can't recite
            off the top of my head.

            While I'm here, I'm interested in the Crowell line although I am not
            researching the Crowells and don't have anything on the Crowells other than a name or
            two. Does anyone have any information on that family, and what was the name of
            the family living on the Crowell plantation (where the Wilson/Rocky Mounty
            airport now is)>

            On his march through Nash County in 1782, Cornwallis stopped at the Crowell
            plantation to pick up supplies. I have nothing further, but obviously Crowell
            was a Tory, as was the Eatmon family where Cornwallis left his reading glasses
            when he spent the night with them in Wilson County. The Eatman family still
            has the reading glasses in a descendant's possession.

            Interested in both families if you have the names of the families. I have
            only been able to pick up bits and pieces of the facts so far.

            John Crowell Mercer married my great-great grandmother, Sarah (Sallie) Ann
            Francis Boykin (Lamm), but I have nothing else. He died and she married Isaac
            Thomas Lamm.

            Thanks for your help. (Didn't mean to ramble on....)

            Faye Hays

          • Gloria Taylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
              Fay,
              There was a set of Jacobs living in Nash County around 1850 on. This Jacobs
              came from Germany. One of the sons moved into Wilson county sometime
              later. Wonder if the Jacobs that married the Boykins is one of this set? I
              am researching Emiel Jacobs family from Nash County. Thanks.
              gloria

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 13, 2004
                Those Jacobs came later than the one I have listed.

                I have

                Jonathan Boykin, Sr. 1770-1852
                Mary Jacobs, no birth date or death date or other information.

                If this name of Mary Jacobs is incorrect, please advise. As I recall, I came
                across this (?) in a book on the Flowers family that is in the Wilson County
                Public library several years ago.

                Faye Hays