Vick Researchers - if you can help

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2004
      I am also placing here a message I just posted to the Vick genweb forum. If
      you can help me, please do so:

      I am a very new researcher of Joseph D. Vick. However, I am having a problem
      with the statement that he died in Southampton County, VA. As a new
      researcher,I welcome corrections, but here are my problems:

      I have a problem with Joseph D. Vick having land in Southampton Co., VA.
      According to the deeds, the land appears to be in Halifax County, NC not Virginia.
      I know that some have placed this land in Kingsdale, Southampton County,
      Virginia, but the land descriptions do not match Kingsdale.

      Halifax County NC deed:
      1675
      Hodges Council and wife, Lucy, sell to Joseph Vick of Isle of Wight County,
      VA, 50 acres of land on Beaver Dam Swamp, 20 Dec. 1675.
      Note: Beaverdam Swamp rises in N central Halifax County, NC and flows se into
      Beech Swamp, NC Gazetteer, Wm. S. Powell, pag 34

      in 1682:
      Adjoining land owner: Hodges Council, Halifax County, NC

      Joseph Vick, patent 22 Sept 1682 "Isle of Wight Co, VA"
      320 acres
      To all and whereas &C. now know ye that I the said Henery Chicheley Knt.
      Deputy Gover. &C give an grant unto Joseph Vick three hundred and twenty acres of
      land joining Hodges Council his divident, beginning att a white oake by Chowan
      River Side neer ye IndianSpring, one hundred sixty two po, to a small maple
      saplin betwixt ye sd Vick and Hodges Council, then west three hundred and
      twenty po to ye Chowan River side and down ye sd River to ye first station. The
      land being due by and for the transportation of seven persons &c to have and to
      hold &c. To be held &c paying &c Provided &c.
      Dated ye 22d day of 7ber 1682.

      Nash, - Fox, Richard Lane, tom Hunt, Thom Wilson, Davis, John Hammond.

      Note: The patent states that the land begins "at a white oake by Chowan River
      neer ye Indian Spring." According to the NC Gazetteer, Chowan River begins a
      "short distance SOUTH of the Virginia state line.

      This land appears to be situate in the strip of land that was acquired by NC
      after the resurvey of the Virginia NC state line by Wm Byrd in 1728.

      As before stated, I am a new researched but do have questions about the
      above.

      Faye Hays