Re: New to the site

  • kenofcarolina
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Lou-BB" <Lou-BB@n...> wrote:
      > Ken,
      > What names are you looking for in particlar, in the Edwards family?
      > Linda Bottoms Bass

      Fred Coley Edwards son of William Henry Edwards and Rene Stocks.
      William's death certificate lists Emanuel Edwards and Nancy Morris as
      his parents. I have reason to believe Emanuel (Amanuel?) was son of
      Elial of Beaufort county, no reasonal proof as of yet. I think he was
      killed in Civil War in Virginia in 1864. Thats my stumbling block.
      Elial was son of Emanuel Sr. of Beaufort Co.

      > >Ken

    • Marcia
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
        Hi Ken,
        I too wish to welcome you to the group. I've recently started
        researching my Edwards in Henderson, NC.

        On this site, I am researching my husband's McLawhorn name with its
        many spellings in eastern NC (Pitt, Greene, Lenoir and Birtie). I
        checked my database and, as surprising as it seems to me, I do not
        see any Manning or Harris in my direct line. Althought there are
        many marriages with parallel lines and I have oodles of them. Oodles
        is a technical term.

        I hope you enjoy being in the group. Please, look at your postings
        and note how easy it is to read your first posting and how difficult
        for the latter two. It helps the readers if you post above the
        previous person's message and to delete much of the extra stuff.

        Welcome again, Marcia McLawhorn

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "kenofcarolina" <tinman@i...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Friends,
        > I'm Ken and just joining the site. I'm interested in my family
        > history. I've been working on it for Appx. 15 yrs. I'm particularly
        > interested in the Mannings, Harris's, Stocks and Edwards. I have
        much
        > info I've gathered thru the years and still looking. If anyone can
        > help I'd appreciate it, just post on the group site and I'll get
        back
        > to you.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ken
      • kenofcarolina
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 5:39 AM
          Hi Marcia,

          Suprisingly enough I have a McLawhorn in my family. Arceneth
          McLawhorn married Guilford Harris my gg-greatparents. Both are buried
          at Hanrahan Cemetery...You prolly already knew that tho...There are
          alot of McLawhorns in there.

          Glad to hear from you,
          Ken

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Marcia" <marcia_mclawhorn@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Ken,
          > I too wish to welcome you to the group. I've recently started
          > researching my Edwards in Henderson, NC.
          >
          > On this site, I am researching my husband's McLawhorn name with its
          > many spellings in eastern NC (Pitt, Greene, Lenoir and Birtie). I
          > checked my database and, as surprising as it seems to me, I do not
          > see any Manning or Harris in my direct line. Althought there are
          > many marriages with parallel lines and I have oodles of them.
          Oodles
          > is a technical term.
          >
          > I hope you enjoy being in the group. Please, look at your postings
          > and note how easy it is to read your first posting and how
          difficult
          > for the latter two. It helps the readers if you post above the
          > previous person's message and to delete much of the extra stuff.
          >
          > Welcome again, Marcia McLawhorn
          >

          > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "kenofcarolina" <tinman@i...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi Friends,
          > > I'm Ken and just joining the site. I'm interested in my family
          > > history. I've been working on it for Appx. 15 yrs. I'm
          particularly
          > > interested in the Mannings, Harris's, Stocks and Edwards. I have
          > much
          > > info I've gathered thru the years and still looking. If anyone
          can
          > > help I'd appreciate it, just post on the group site and I'll get
          > back
          > > to you.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Ken
        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2 3:58 PM
            Hi Ken,
            Thank you for responding. I had hoped that you would not be angry. This email was much easier to read than the last two. Thank you.

            Yes I do have that lady - I have her full name as Arceneth Ann McLawhon, but called Arcena. I have that she was born 25 May 1837, but I do not know if it was in Pitt or Lenoir county. I do not live in North Carolina but I was just discussing with one of the other researches when it would be best for us to visit NC Cemeteries. I was maintaining it is too hot in August. Two different times I was in NC and almost overcome by heat trying to find gravesites I knew were there but quite allusive.

            Arcena was the daughter of Warren J McGlawhorn, Sr & Alice Baker. Her step-mother, Martha Alice Meeks was the mother of Warren's 13th child, Jacob (b:19 Oct 1870). A great-grandson of Jacob has a family in here in the subrubs of Chicago and a business in the town I live in. But we are not closely related.

            There are at least three other McLawhorns with families living in this area. One a lawyer is the grandson of Alfred McLawhorn, Jr & Ada Gould Manning (b:25 Aug 1915). I have her buried in Winterville Cemetery. But I have never been there. The other twio I have yet to reach.

            I do have a quite lot of links, but as I said at first none in the direct line. Are you familiar with the Hanrahan Cemetery. If we came to NC could you show it to us?

            I started researching the McLawhorn's in 1970.
            Sincerely, Marcia

            wrote:
            > Hi Ken,
            > I too wish to welcome you to the group. I've recently started
            > researching my Edwards in Henderson, NC.
            >
            > On this site, I am researching my husband's McLawhorn name with its
            > many spellings in eastern NC (Pitt, Greene, Lenoir and Birtie). I
            > checked my database and, as surprising as it seems to me, I do not
            > see any Manning or Harris in my direct line. Althought there are
            > many marriages with parallel lines and I have oodles of them.
            Oodles
            > is a technical term.
            >
            > I hope you enjoy being in the group. Please, look at your postings
            > and note how easy it is to read your first posting and how
            difficult
            > for the latter two. It helps the readers if you post above the
            > previous person's message and to delete much of the extra stuff.
            >
            > Welcome again, Marcia McLawhorn
            >

            > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "kenofcarolina" <tinman@i...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi Friends,
            > > I'm Ken and just joining the site. I'm interested in my family
            > > history. I've been working on it for Appx. 15 yrs. I'm
            particularly
            > > interested in the Mannings, Harris's, Stocks and Edwards. I have
            > much
            > > info I've gathered thru the years and still looking. If anyone
            can
            > > help I'd appreciate it, just post on the group site and I'll get
            > back
            > > to you.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Ken

            GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • kenofcarolina
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4 8:01 AM
              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawho
              HI Marcia,
              I'm a long way from being angry .....I'm elated to find maybe
              someone in the family of someone that is interested in the family.
              Yes I had all that info on Arcena but I haven't really researched her
              family at all. Yes it does get hot here in NC ....I'm about 30
              minutes from the cemetery. I really think the cemetery is a McLawhorn
              cemetery. It consists of Mannings, Harris's and others also.I have to
              say that I wish I could forward pics of the gravesites but my email
              is really out of wack so to speak. I can receive email on my puter
              but can't send. I may try to send it from my wife's computer. I have
              a family portrait on Guilford and Arcena' children but she's not in
              the pic as it was taken after her death. Guilford and his last wife
              are in it. I'll see what I can do. Also I'd be happy to show you the
              cemetery when you come down, just let me know when. There are alot of
              McLawhorns in it that you may know of. The cemetery itself is between
              Grifton, NC and Ayden NC. If I can be of any help please let me know.

              Regards,
              Ken

              <marcia_mclawhorn@y...> wrote:
> [...]
              > >

              > > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "kenofcarolina" <tinman@i...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Hi Friends,
              > > > I'm Ken and just joining the site. I'm interested in my
              family
              > > > history. I've been working on it for Appx. 15 yrs. I'm
              > particularly
              > > > interested in the Mannings, Harris's, Stocks and Edwards. I
              have
              > > much
              > > > info I've gathered thru the years and still looking. If anyone
              > can
              > > > help I'd appreciate it, just post on the group site and I'll
              get
              > > back
              > > > to you.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > >
              > > > Ken

              > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS
              earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:

              > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited
              supply:
              http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%
              20Feb03.htm

              group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
              Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
              > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

            • kenofcarolina
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4 8:13 AM
                ---
                Hi Marcia,
                I was looking at the pics I have of the cemetery. I'd be glad to send
                you a copy snail mail if you'd like. It's of the cemetery and
                Guilford and Arceneth's gravesite. I'f you'll give me your mailing
                addy I'll get them out to you.

                Ken