FTM problem solved! and Thanks!!!!

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2004
      Thanks to Marcia McLawhorn, a member of this list, I have finally solved my
      problem with FTM V12. Although the file did not appear to have anything wrong
      with it, except that it would not generate a genealogy report, the file "was"
      flawed.

      I think I would have just dumped the FTM V12 program if Marcia had not
      offered her help. She is a computer programmer. How lucky could I get? : ) : )

      Faye Hays

    • Evelyn Hendricks
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2004
        Maybe Marcia can help me. Technical support doesn't seem to be able to. In
        fact, I get the distinct impression that Technical support is not really
        trying. For over two weeks we have been working on this problem. They are
        trying to blame it on my computer. I am running Windows 98 and have the
        maximum of memory. They were supposed to call me back last Monday, but I
        have heard nothing from this yet.
        My problem is with the Master Place List. It will not load, and when it
        does try it freezes up the computer. I can only get out by using control.
        alt, delete. Sometimes I can not even do that and just have to shut down.
        The Master Source list, and all the others listed under "tools" seem to
        work fine. I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled it several times,
        as per instructions from Technical Support. My son was here for Mother's
        Day, and he could not find the problem. My brother was here this week and
        he checked it out thoroughly. He was a programmer and trouble shooter for
        NASA since the early sixties. I am confident that he knew what he was
        doing. He thought it definitely was a problem with the disk which was
        shipped in January. After he got home it downloaded the trial version which
        works fine on his computer. He then tried it on an old computer, older than
        mine, which has Windows 98. It worked on that computer. So I don't think
        the computer is my problem.
        Do any of you know anything else that I can do? I am getting thoroughly
        disgusted with this program, and as much as I like it I am seriously
        thinking about switching to another one that will at least let me use it.
        If I had not discarded my version 4 I would go back to it. At least it
        would let me use it.
        I am sorry if this is too long, but I really want to get this solved.
        Evelyn

        02:11 PM 05/15/2004 -0400, you wrote:
        >Thanks to Marcia McLawhorn, a member of this list, I have finally solved my
        >problem with FTM V12. Although the file did not appear to have anything wrong
        >with it, except that it would not generate a genealogy report, the file "was"
        >flawed.
        >
        >I think I would have just dumped the FTM V12 program if Marcia had not
        >offered her help. She is a computer programmer. How lucky could I
        >get? : ) : )
        >

        >Faye Hays

        >Pitt County Historical
        >Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
        >
        >Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS earmarked
        >for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:
        >http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/VolumeIIChronicles.htm
        >
        >RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited
        >supply:
        >http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
        >
        >Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
        >Resources: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
        >
        >We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group
        >if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all
        >Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
        >GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
        >Research http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Evelyn Hendricks
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2004
          I just replied to this letter and after I sent it I realized that I was on
          the wrong list for the reply I gave. Please excuse the letter about my
          problem with a program.
          Evelyn

          At 02:11 PM 05/15/2004 -0400, you wrote:
          >Thanks to Marcia McLawhorn, a member of this list, I have finally solved my
          >problem with FTM V12. Although the file did not appear to have anything wrong
          >with it, except that it would not generate a genealogy report, the file "was"
          >flawed.
          >
          >I think I would have just dumped the FTM V12 program if Marcia had not
          >offered her help. She is a computer programmer. How lucky could I
          >get? : ) : )
          >

          >Faye Hays

          >Pitt County Historical
          >Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
          >
          >Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS earmarked
          >for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:
          >http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/VolumeIIChronicles.htm
          >
          >RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited
          >supply:
          >http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
          >
          >Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
          >Resources: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
          >
          >We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group
          >if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all
          >Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
          >GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
          >Research http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Evelyn Hendricks
          Message 4 of 4 , May 15, 2004
            I don't know what problem Marcia solved for you, but perhaps she will be
            able to solve a Family Tree Maker problem for me. I am using version 7 on
            Windows 98. Since I don't use the reports very often I had not noticed this
            problem until I tried to send a descendancy report to someone. It seems to
            repeat the information three times. For example, the first entry of the
            name, dates of birth and death are repeated three times. Then it will put
            in the second person and repeat the information three times. Do any of you
            have any idea what could be causing this and what can I do about it?
            Thank you.