Re: [genpcncfir] Genealogy programs

  • carrol
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2004
      http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/
      This is the one that I use and they have free version and you can upgrade to the Deluxe version from $20.00 and it is great I have been using it for a couple of years.

      You can look at it and download the free version.

      Carrol Mick

      eahsr16@... wrote:
      I have used Family Tree Maker for a long time, and before Christmas upgraded
      to FTM 12. I have never had any problems with the program until this one. The
      program runs fine until you want to generate a genealogy report and it balks
      and hangs up.

      I have a P4, 512M, 2.5ghz laptop that I am currently using that does great
      things with other programs, but this FTM V12 is about to finish me and genealogy
      for a while.

      What are some of the other programs that you are using that can do all that
      the FTM program does?. I especially like the merging and the program asking if
      this is the parent or husband of so and so. I do a lot of merging and don't
      want it to just duplicate families.I don't want one with a lot of useless
      fields.

      Bascially, grin, what I want is a FTM program that works.

      I also don't like FTM installing an FTM printer. I have tried to delete that
      without success. If I delete it, it comes right back. But on the other hand,
      The FTM charts are pretty much useless if you go beyond 4 or 5 generations and
      one sheet of paper. The only way they are any use is for a family generation
      where you print out the generations and can tape them to a large wall for
      everyone to see. So, to me, this is a once a year feature that I can do without.

      Well, I've given you my gripes this morning, what are your recommendations
      for a program that runs good.

      Thanks.

      Faye Hays

      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Jean
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2004
        I wholeheartedly agree. I was a Family Tree user and have switched to
        Legacy which I much prefer.

        Jean
        jowgen@...
        We all have ancestors buried in our past

        > This is the one that I use and they have free version and you can upgrade
        to the Deluxe version from $20.00 and it is great I have been using it for a
        couple of years.

        > You can look at it and download the free version.
        >
        > Carrol Mick
        >

        > eahsr16@... wrote:
        > I have used Family Tree Maker for a long time, and before Christmas
        upgraded
        > to FTM 12. I have never had any problems with the program until this one.
        The
        > program runs fine until you want to generate a genealogy report and it
        balks
        > and hangs up.
        >
        > I have a P4, 512M, 2.5ghz laptop that I am currently using that does great
        > things with other programs, but this FTM V12 is about to finish me and
        genealogy
        > for a while.
        >
        > What are some of the other programs that you are using that can do all
        that
        > the FTM program does?. I especially like the merging and the program
        asking if
        > this is the parent or husband of so and so. I do a lot of merging and
        don't
        > want it to just duplicate families.I don't want one with a lot of useless
        > fields.
        >
        > Bascially, grin, what I want is a FTM program that works.
        >
        > I also don't like FTM installing an FTM printer. I have tried to delete
        that
        > without success. If I delete it, it comes right back. But on the other
        hand,
        > The FTM charts are pretty much useless if you go beyond 4 or 5 generations
        and
        > one sheet of paper. The only way they are any use is for a family
        generation
        > where you print out the generations and can tape them to a large wall for
        > everyone to see. So, to me, this is a once a year feature that I can do
        without.

        > Well, I've given you my gripes this morning, what are your recommendations
        > for a program that runs good.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Faye Hays

        > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      • Charles Baldree
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2004
          Jean:

          I also use Family Tree Maker but have heard that Family Tree may be a better
          program. Do you know if Family Tree will convert FTM files automatically,
          or would it be necessary to retype the data using the Family Tree program?

          Charles

          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2004
            Charles,

            You save your FTM files as a GEDcom and Legacy accepts them with no extra
            typing. I especially like the search capabilities of Legacy. With all my
            Witheringtos/Worthingtons/Weatheringtons, etc I am able to compare birth
            dates or death dates, places of birth, marriage and a number of other
            variables to find matches.

            Jean
            jowgen@...
            We all have ancestors buried in our past

            > I also use Family Tree Maker but have heard that Family Tree may be a
            better
            > program. Do you know if Family Tree will convert FTM files automatically,
            > or would it be necessary to retype the data using the Family Tree program?
            >
            > Charles

            Service.