Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Genealogy programs

  • LdMel1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2004
      I agree that Family Tree is not as user friendly as Family Search and I find that people can follow the Family
      Search reports easier.
      Linda
    • carrol
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2004
        http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/
        This is the one that I use and they have free version and you can upgrade to the Deluxe version from $20.00 and it is great I have been using it for a couple of years.

        You can look at it and download the free version.

        Carrol Mick

        eahsr16@... wrote:
        I have used Family Tree Maker for a long time, and before Christmas upgraded
        to FTM 12. I have never had any problems with the program until this one. The
        program runs fine until you want to generate a genealogy report and it balks
        and hangs up.

        I have a P4, 512M, 2.5ghz laptop that I am currently using that does great
        things with other programs, but this FTM V12 is about to finish me and genealogy
        for a while.

        What are some of the other programs that you are using that can do all that
        the FTM program does?. I especially like the merging and the program asking if
        this is the parent or husband of so and so. I do a lot of merging and don't
        want it to just duplicate families.I don't want one with a lot of useless
        fields.

        Bascially, grin, what I want is a FTM program that works.

        I also don't like FTM installing an FTM printer. I have tried to delete that
        without success. If I delete it, it comes right back. But on the other hand,
        The FTM charts are pretty much useless if you go beyond 4 or 5 generations and
        one sheet of paper. The only way they are any use is for a family generation
        where you print out the generations and can tape them to a large wall for
        everyone to see. So, to me, this is a once a year feature that I can do without.

        Well, I've given you my gripes this morning, what are your recommendations
        for a program that runs good.

        Thanks.

        Faye Hays

        GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Jean
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2004
          I wholeheartedly agree. I was a Family Tree user and have switched to
          Legacy which I much prefer.

          Jean
          jowgen@...
          We all have ancestors buried in our past

          > This is the one that I use and they have free version and you can upgrade
          to the Deluxe version from $20.00 and it is great I have been using it for a
          couple of years.

          > You can look at it and download the free version.
          >
          > Carrol Mick
          >

          > eahsr16@... wrote:
          > I have used Family Tree Maker for a long time, and before Christmas
          upgraded
          > to FTM 12. I have never had any problems with the program until this one.
          The
          > program runs fine until you want to generate a genealogy report and it
          balks
          > and hangs up.
          >
          > I have a P4, 512M, 2.5ghz laptop that I am currently using that does great
          > things with other programs, but this FTM V12 is about to finish me and
          genealogy
          > for a while.
          >
          > What are some of the other programs that you are using that can do all
          that
          > the FTM program does?. I especially like the merging and the program
          asking if
          > this is the parent or husband of so and so. I do a lot of merging and
          don't
          > want it to just duplicate families.I don't want one with a lot of useless
          > fields.
          >
          > Bascially, grin, what I want is a FTM program that works.
          >
          > I also don't like FTM installing an FTM printer. I have tried to delete
          that
          > without success. If I delete it, it comes right back. But on the other
          hand,
          > The FTM charts are pretty much useless if you go beyond 4 or 5 generations
          and
          > one sheet of paper. The only way they are any use is for a family
          generation
          > where you print out the generations and can tape them to a large wall for
          > everyone to see. So, to me, this is a once a year feature that I can do
          without.

          > Well, I've given you my gripes this morning, what are your recommendations
          > for a program that runs good.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Faye Hays

          > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        • Charles Baldree
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2004
            Jean:

            I also use Family Tree Maker but have heard that Family Tree may be a better
            program. Do you know if Family Tree will convert FTM files automatically,
            or would it be necessary to retype the data using the Family Tree program?

            Charles

            Message 5 of 7 , May 16, 2004
              Charles,

              You save your FTM files as a GEDcom and Legacy accepts them with no extra
              typing. I especially like the search capabilities of Legacy. With all my
              Witheringtos/Worthingtons/Weatheringtons, etc I am able to compare birth
              dates or death dates, places of birth, marriage and a number of other
              variables to find matches.

              Jean
              jowgen@...
              We all have ancestors buried in our past

              > I also use Family Tree Maker but have heard that Family Tree may be a
              better
              > program. Do you know if Family Tree will convert FTM files automatically,
              > or would it be necessary to retype the data using the Family Tree program?
              >
              > Charles

              Service.