Genealogy programs

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2004
      I have used Family Tree Maker for a long time, and before Christmas upgraded
      to FTM 12. I have never had any problems with the program until this one. The
      program runs fine until you want to generate a genealogy report and it balks
      and hangs up.

      I have a P4, 512M, 2.5ghz laptop that I am currently using that does great
      things with other programs, but this FTM V12 is about to finish me and genealogy
      for a while.

      What are some of the other programs that you are using that can do all that
      the FTM program does?. I especially like the merging and the program asking if
      this is the parent or husband of so and so. I do a lot of merging and don't
      want it to just duplicate families.I don't want one with a lot of useless
      fields.

      Bascially, grin, what I want is a FTM program that works.

      I also don't like FTM installing an FTM printer. I have tried to delete that
      without success. If I delete it, it comes right back. But on the other hand,
      The FTM charts are pretty much useless if you go beyond 4 or 5 generations and
      one sheet of paper. The only way they are any use is for a family generation
      where you print out the generations and can tape them to a large wall for
      everyone to see. So, to me, this is a once a year feature that I can do without.

      Well, I've given you my gripes this morning, what are your recommendations
      for a program that runs good.

      Thanks.

      Faye Hays

    • lisascarola
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2004
        Faye,

        I have found that the free one that you can download from the morman
        site is pretty easy. I also own my own family tree program, but have
        stopped using it because it's to hard to use. I'm sorry that I spent
        the money on it, but isn't that the way it always goes.

        Lisa
      • LdMel1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 12, 2004
          I agree that Family Tree is not as user friendly as Family Search and I find that people can follow the Family
          Search reports easier.
          Linda
        • carrol
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2004
            http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/
            This is the one that I use and they have free version and you can upgrade to the Deluxe version from $20.00 and it is great I have been using it for a couple of years.

            You can look at it and download the free version.

            Carrol Mick

            eahsr16@... wrote:
[...]

            GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Jean
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2004
              I wholeheartedly agree. I was a Family Tree user and have switched to
              Legacy which I much prefer.

              Jean
              jowgen@...
              We all have ancestors buried in our past

              > This is the one that I use and they have free version and you can upgrade
              to the Deluxe version from $20.00 and it is great I have been using it for a
              couple of years.

              > You can look at it and download the free version.
              >
              > Carrol Mick
              >

              > eahsr16@... wrote:
              > I have used Family Tree Maker for a long time, and before Christmas
              upgraded
              > to FTM 12. I have never had any problems with the program until this one.
              The
              > program runs fine until you want to generate a genealogy report and it
              balks
              > and hangs up.
              >
              > I have a P4, 512M, 2.5ghz laptop that I am currently using that does great
              > things with other programs, but this FTM V12 is about to finish me and
              genealogy
              > for a while.
              >
              > What are some of the other programs that you are using that can do all
              that
              > the FTM program does?. I especially like the merging and the program
              asking if
              > this is the parent or husband of so and so. I do a lot of merging and
              don't
              > want it to just duplicate families.I don't want one with a lot of useless
              > fields.
              >
              > Bascially, grin, what I want is a FTM program that works.
              >
              > I also don't like FTM installing an FTM printer. I have tried to delete
              that
              > without success. If I delete it, it comes right back. But on the other
              hand,
              > The FTM charts are pretty much useless if you go beyond 4 or 5 generations
              and
              > one sheet of paper. The only way they are any use is for a family
              generation
              > where you print out the generations and can tape them to a large wall for
              > everyone to see. So, to me, this is a once a year feature that I can do
              without.

              > Well, I've given you my gripes this morning, what are your recommendations
              > for a program that runs good.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Faye Hays

              > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

            • Charles Baldree
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2004
                Jean:

                I also use Family Tree Maker but have heard that Family Tree may be a better
                program. Do you know if Family Tree will convert FTM files automatically,
                or would it be necessary to retype the data using the Family Tree program?

                Charles

                Message 7 of 7 , May 16, 2004
                  Charles,

                  You save your FTM files as a GEDcom and Legacy accepts them with no extra
                  typing. I especially like the search capabilities of Legacy. With all my
                  Witheringtos/Worthingtons/Weatheringtons, etc I am able to compare birth
                  dates or death dates, places of birth, marriage and a number of other
                  variables to find matches.

                  Jean
                  jowgen@...
                  We all have ancestors buried in our past

                  > I also use Family Tree Maker but have heard that Family Tree may be a
                  better
                  > program. Do you know if Family Tree will convert FTM files automatically,
                  > or would it be necessary to retype the data using the Family Tree program?
                  >
                  > Charles

                  Service.