Re: [genpcncfir] Elizabeth Tison/Tyson - Poor House records

    Message 1 of 39 , May 12, 2004
      Dear Marcia, I believe that the County Home (next door
      to which was our farm) released the records. Here is
      why I say so. One of my Braxton relatives, Mahala
      Braxton, was the subject of a Daily Reflector article
      when she entered the Pitt County Home. In addition to
      her kin and brief biography, the article also gave the
      amount of her pension! From everything I've found from
      early records (and some of them contained information
      that today would be considered libelous!), there
      simply was not the touchiness(current among my
      Richmond, Henrico, and Chesterfield Virginia neighbors
      and acquaintances and non-acquaintances, too, for that
      matter)about issues of personal privacy among our
      ancestors. In one record, for example,I saw this bald
      statement: "So and so has bastard child." Now, all of
      us today know that without proof, that subject had
      best be left alone; our ancestors apparently had no
      such reservations. They called them as they saw them.
      I've seen, in addition, other personal information
      equally shocking to modern sensibilities among totally
      unrelated data in the course of my research. So, from
      what I've seen, the Pitt County Home was under no
      privacy restrictions, and even here in Richmond,
      certain vital records are open to the public. Birth
      records are under restriction, but other records are
      much easier to obtain. Later, Carol
      --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 22, 2004
        --- Jack Devitt <devittdesign@...> wrote:
        > Carol, Are you going to the Worthington reunion? My
        > aunt Lucille Diener (from Diener's bakery) daughter
        > of Lonnie McGowan and Eva Venetia Williams is going
        > and maybe able to answer some of your McGowan
        > questions. Lori

        Dear Lori, Yes, I am going with my sister. We will be
        leaving Richmond around 5a.m. I would really love to
        meet your aunt--the bakery was especially dear to me
        because that was where Mama bought all my birthday
        cakes. Every time I think of that bakery, I recall
        Mama's incredible thoughtfulness and herlove for me.
        Your aunt would be my first cousin--closer than that
        if my grandfather William McGowan was from her
        father's line instead of from that of W.K. (William
        Kinsey)McGowan or William George McGowan (son of
        Burton McGowan, my great grandfather and father of my
        grandmother Sarah Frances McGowan and my uncle William
        George McGowan--who if he is my grandfather William
        makes me really close to this McGowan line. I am
        Secretary of the Worthington Family Reunion and will
        be reading the Minutes during the Business Meeting.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail