Re: [genpcncfir] Elizabeth Tison/Tyson - Poor House records

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 39 , May 11, 2004
      Dear Carol & Jean,

      This discussion started out with Jean wanting to know if the 1880 Census listing for Elizabeth Tyson (age 73, widow) in the County Poor House was the same Elizabeth Tyson, who lived with Lizinia & Guilford's house hold as listed in the 1850 & 1860 (age 50) Censuses.

      Carol, you proposed that Elizabeth may have been Lizinia's sister. This was my first thought too. But I had found and shared the record where Lizinia's mother names all her children. Elizabeth, who we know was still living, was not listed. That implies two choices: 1) she not not a daughter or 2) was a daughter, but disinherited. I can not prove or disprove choice 2.

      But we do know she was a widow in 1880 and her name did not change in 30 years (or it changed and changed back). I propose that she married and was widowed before 1850 by age 40 - this isn't far fetched.

      Carol, Yes, someone could get the death record for Lezina, your relative. Or, even for Elizabeth Tyson, who was the original subject matter.

      Elizabeth Tyson was in the poor house. The person who filled out her death certificate may have been a poor house employee. The poor house would have collected information - since they listed her as a widow on the census, they may know who her husband was - maybe her parents' names too. Does the Poor house/County keep that info? Do they let people have access? DOES ANYONE KNOW?

      At Lenoir Community College in Genealogy reading room, there is a paperback book of tombstone inscriptions by cemetery with an index. Perhaps somone could look up Lurany Cherry Tyson for you.
      and Elizabeth Tyson, too.

      Marcia

      Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
      Dear Marcia, I know. That is another of our unsolved
      mysteries. Here's what I would do--or can do myself
      when I get a few spare hours. Since we know that
      Lurany's daughter Lezina Cherry married my great
      grandfather Guilford McGowan, we know that there is a
      marriage record for the couple. There must also be a
      death record for Lezina. She would have had to give
      the name of her parents on both. To me, these would be
      the most direct methods. If, in addition, we know
      where Lurany was buried, there is the off chance that
      either her maiden name or parents' names would be on
      the tombstone. What do you think? Is it worth a try?
      Later, Carol
      --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Carol,
      > I know it is confusing. I have 23 entries for
      > Elizabeth Tyson and three more as Eliza Tyson.
      > Some, no doubt, are the same person.
      >
      > On Lisa'web, see William CHERRY (ID: I29) b:1792
      > record. His wife's first name is
      > Laney or Lurany. Her maiden last name is unknown.
      >
      > Sincerely, Marcia
      >
      > Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
      >
      > Dear Marcia, Here is what I've found out from Lisa
      > Scarola's web: Elizabeth TYSON: born 2 Sept
      > 1815/1818 Pitt; Death 11 Jan 1874 Parents: Lemuel
      > Hardy and wife Elizabeth of Greene Co. (daughter of
      > Seth Tyson).
      > Parents of Elizabeth Tyson: Seth Tyson b. 1787 Pitt;
      > LANEY Harper, mother. This Elizabeth TYSON married
      > Lemuel E. Hardee, b. 1809. They had a son Richard
      > Henry Hardee b. 1848; he married Mary Louisa Mewborn
      > b. 1848. One of our Geneological Quarterlies had
      > Tison/Tysons in it. I'll go back through them this
      > weekend as a double check since Lisa's web lists no
      > Elizabeth TISON, only Elizabeth TYSON whose MOTHER
      > was LANEY, but not LANEY CHERRY. Her mother was
      > LANEY HARPER. Some confusion may have crept in here,
      > or else
      > this Elizabeth is not the same as Elizabeth Tison.
      >
      > I'll check both variants. Have a pleasant weekend.
      > I'll get back with you next week. Later, Carol

      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 22, 2004
        --- Jack Devitt <devittdesign@...> wrote:
        > Carol, Are you going to the Worthington reunion? My
        > aunt Lucille Diener (from Diener's bakery) daughter
        > of Lonnie McGowan and Eva Venetia Williams is going
        > and maybe able to answer some of your McGowan
        > questions. Lori

        Dear Lori, Yes, I am going with my sister. We will be
        leaving Richmond around 5a.m. I would really love to
        meet your aunt--the bakery was especially dear to me
        because that was where Mama bought all my birthday
        cakes. Every time I think of that bakery, I recall
        Mama's incredible thoughtfulness and herlove for me.
        Your aunt would be my first cousin--closer than that
        if my grandfather William McGowan was from her
        father's line instead of from that of W.K. (William
        Kinsey)McGowan or William George McGowan (son of
        Burton McGowan, my great grandfather and father of my
        grandmother Sarah Frances McGowan and my uncle William
        George McGowan--who if he is my grandfather William
        makes me really close to this McGowan line. I am
        Secretary of the Worthington Family Reunion and will
        be reading the Minutes during the Business Meeting.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail