Carney Info

  • Nita Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2004
      Hello, I am a new member of this site. One of my Eastern NC lines is from William Carney. He had three children that I am aware of - Robert, Tobias and Harriett. It appears that Tobias and Harriett were much younger than Robert - perhaps their mother, Margaret, was a second marriage. I do not know for certain. I do not know her maiden name nor Robert's mother's name if he was from a previous marriage.
      At the time I can document the family they lived in Onslow Co., NC. Perhaps they were from elsewhere - another uncertain.

      Can anyone help. I saw a posting from a Carol Sligh that had a Robert Carney listed with a mother that had been a Hatton! Is this possibly the same Robert?

      Thanks for any help you can give me.

      Nita Phillips
      email: nphil@...

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2004
        Hi Nina,
        Welcome to the group!
        It is hard to say if your William Carney is the same person that Carol mentioned. You didn't mentioned the date that you documented them in Onslow County.

        If William Carney were in the US Marine Corps (Camp Lejeune is in Onslow County), he could be from anywhere of the country.

        I have a Robert Carney on file, but his father's name is Eugene Joseph Carney (born July 11, 1906). There are three Robert's on the NC 1880 Census. The most promising is the one who is the 11 year old son of Tobias (age 53) living in Harnett, New Hanover, NC. Another son is William (age 16).

        Sincerely, Marcia

        Nita Phillips <nphil@...> wrote:

        Hello, I am a new member of this site. One of my Eastern NC lines is from William Carney. He had three children that I am aware of - Robert, Tobias and Harriett. It appears that Tobias and Harriett were much younger than Robert - perhaps their mother, Margaret, was a second marriage. I do not know for certain. I do not know her maiden name nor Robert's mother's name if he was from a previous marriage.
        At the time I can document the family they lived in Onslow Co., NC. Perhaps they were from elsewhere - another uncertain.

        Can anyone help. I saw a posting from a Carol Sligh that had a Robert Carney listed with a mother that had been a Hatton! Is this possibly the same Robert?

        Thanks for any help you can give me.

        Nita Phillips
        email: nphil@...

      • Edith Cox
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2004
          FYI:
          The Camp Lejeune Marine Corps base was not in existence until its inception
          in 1941.
          Edith
          > It is hard to say if your William Carney is the same person that Carol
          mentioned. You didn't mentioned the date that you documented them in Onslow
          County.

          > If William Carney were in the US Marine Corps (Camp Lejeune is in Onslow
          County), he could be from anywhere of the country.

          > I have a Robert Carney on file, but his father's name is Eugene Joseph
          Carney (born July 11, 1906). There are three Robert's on the NC 1880 Census.
          The most promising is the one who is the 11 year old son of Tobias (age 53)
          living in Harnett, New Hanover, NC. Another son is William (age 16).

          > Sincerely, Marcia
          >

          > Nita Phillips <nphil@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hello, I am a new member of this site. One of my Eastern NC lines is from
          William Carney. He had three children that I am aware of - Robert, Tobias
          and Harriett. It appears that Tobias and Harriett were much younger than
          Robert - perhaps their mother, Margaret, was a second marriage. I do not
          know for certain. I do not know her maiden name nor Robert's mother's name
          if he was from a previous marriage.
          > At the time I can document the family they lived in Onslow Co., NC.
          Perhaps they were from elsewhere - another uncertain.

          > Can anyone help. I saw a posting from a Carol Sligh that had a Robert
          Carney listed with a mother that had been a Hatton! Is this possibly the
          same Robert?

          > Thanks for any help you can give me.
          >
          > Nita Phillips
          > email: nphil@...

          > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2004
            Edith,
            That is true enough. I was thinking that the spaces between Nina's children could possibly have occurred because of military deployment. Not only were marines sent to wars (WWII, Korea and VietNam), but to out-of-country stations (ie Okinawa and Guantanamo, Cuba).

            Both my father and my husband's father were lifers and both only married once, yet both families have a few children spread over 18 years.

            Since no date was given, I did not know when in the 270 years of Onslow county's existance that Nina was referencing. I was theorizing that if no date were given it could be very recent history.
            Marcia

            Edith Cox <edieanne@...> wrote:
            FYI:
            The Camp Lejeune Marine Corps base was not in existence until its inception
            in 1941.
            Edith
            > It is hard to say if your William Carney is the same person that Carol
            mentioned. You didn't mentioned the date that you documented them in Onslow
            County.

            > If William Carney were in the US Marine Corps (Camp Lejeune is in Onslow
            County), he could be from anywhere of the country.

            > I have a Robert Carney on file, but his father's name is Eugene Joseph
            Carney (born July 11, 1906). There are three Robert's on the NC 1880 Census.
            The most promising is the one who is the 11 year old son of Tobias (age 53)
            living in Harnett, New Hanover, NC. Another son is William (age 16).

            > Sincerely, Marcia
            >

            > Nita Phillips <nphil@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hello, I am a new member of this site. One of my Eastern NC lines is from
            William Carney. He had three children that I am aware of - Robert, Tobias
            and Harriett. It appears that Tobias and Harriett were much younger than
            Robert - perhaps their mother, Margaret, was a second marriage. I do not
            know for certain. I do not know her maiden name nor Robert's mother's name
            if he was from a previous marriage.
            > At the time I can document the family they lived in Onslow Co., NC.
            Perhaps they were from elsewhere - another uncertain.

            > Can anyone help. I saw a posting from a Carol Sligh that had a Robert
            Carney listed with a mother that had been a Hatton! Is this possibly the
            same Robert?

            > Thanks for any help you can give me.
            >
            > Nita Phillips
            > email: nphil@...