Re: [genpcncfir] mcgowans / May Museum

    Message 1 of 41 , May 3, 2004
      Dear Lisa, Roger Kammerer told me about the book and
      the Museum. I would never have made any connection
      between the Mays and the McGowans except for a couple
      of pieces of information from the 1850 census online
      at the PCFR website. It gives three MCGOWAN children
      living with May families; Nancy and an infant
      Harriet(I believe her name was) living with Lavinia
      MAY and her brother WILLIAM McGOWAN (WILLIAM L, I
      believe he might have been, but don't quote me on this
      because I don't even remember now where I got that
      impression, and though I've been meaning to look up
      the actual 1850 census in the library on microfilm to
      see whether either Lavinia or James recorded the
      relationship to them of these McGowan children, I have
      never done so. Since no parent of the children was
      living in either household, I'm thinking they were
      either Lavinia's grandchildren or nieces and nephews
      that she took following the early death of the
      parents) was living with James MAY--son of Lavinia
      May. I hope this helps. Let me know if you find out
      more or discover a link tying these families together.
      Thanks, Carol
      --- lisascarola <feonadorf@...> wrote:
      > What book at the May Museum is it? Any idea what
      > part of the family
      > is covered. Does anyone on the list go to or work at
      > this museum who
      > might be able to make copy this book? I also have a
      > homemade McGowan
      > book, done by a family member back in the 70's or
      > 80's. I was a child
      > when it made it's way thru the family, so I am
      > unsure of who the
      > author was. It covers mostly the children of
      > McDonald and Quillie
      > Mills McGowan and thier children's families.
      >
      > Lisa

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 15 6:32 PM
        John,
        My short answer is no.

        I believe that your Charles James O'HAGAN was born in
        Co. Londonderry, Ireland to Martha O'KANE [d: 1853]
        and John Patrick O'HAGAN [d: bef 1850]. There were at
        least eight children.

        He became a physician and then immigrated to the USA,
        but I haven't researched when or how. In 1846, he
        marries Ann Elizabeth Courtney 'Eliza' Forrest, a Pitt
        county girl. The 1850 NC Census indicates he is the
        father of a 2 yo and his two younger sisters live with
        him. His younger brother, John is also in Pitt county
        before 1875.

        Many Hagans (all spellings) immigrated to the USA,
        many from Ireland.
        Johan HAGEN entire family from Romskog, Norway by 1921
        Thomas HAGAN maybe from Tyrone (Munster), Ireland
        married in Maryland in 09 Jun 1670

        Ann and my Dempsey Hagens evidently married 12 Oct
        1835 Edgecombe County. I don't know yet if he was born
        here or immigrated. There is a possibility he
        descended from Thomas HAGAN.

        Marcia