NC Vital Records

  • Nancy Pittman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2004
      Group,

      I recently sent an application to NC Vital Records requesting the death record of a relative who died in 1917.

      The Department responded with a letter stating..."Your request cannot be processed because the event for which you are requesting a certificate occurred prior to the filing of state records. NC birth certificates begin in October 1913, death certificates in 1930, divorce certificates in 1958 and marriage certificates in 1962."

      I was somewhat surprised. I always assumed that 1913 was the year in which NC was required to keep ALL records. I have read from a Works Progress Administration (WPA) cemetery survey that "WPA workers were instructed to record the information from tombstones ONLY if the date of death was before 1913, at which time the State of North Carolina began to issue Birth and Death Certificates".

      Any thoughts on this?

      Nancy

    • Nancy Pittman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2004
        Group, obviously, I am experiencing a few gray areas with vital records. Some death records (1913-1955) are NOT in NC Vital Records Department but are instead at the NC Archives. Would anyone know the difference, if any, in the records and why some are at Vital Records and some are at the Archives? Nancy
[...]

        GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        Yahoo! Groups Links