Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Diener

    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 8, 2004
      Dear Lisa, Henry and Claudia were my great aunt and
      uncle.I'd really love to meet my McGowan relatives. I
      know none of them personally. Can you tell me if they
      have regularly scheduled family reunions and ,if so,
      if or how I might get an invitation. I'd truly
      appreciate it. I still do not know who was my McGowan
      great grandfather and am hoping that someone will
      please, please tell me. I know that someone said he
      was W.K. McGowan of whom Mama spoke often and highly.
      She said, however, that he was a bachelor all his life
      and that he had made his home with a nephew, Adrian
      Kinsey McGowan. Census records show them sharing a
      home when W.K. was 47; both men are listed as single.
      She never said that he was her grandfather. She did
      say that William McGowan was her grandfather, but to
      my dismay, I found out that there were five men
      cousins of her grandmother Jacky Ann McGowan who could
      have been my grandfather William McGowan. I also
      received the death certificate of Jacky Ann McGowan.
      On it she at age 75 was listed as widow. It did not
      give the spouse. She died June 12 (I believe it was)
      1925 in Greenville. She was making her home with Jenny
      Secession McGowan (her daughter) and Alfred
      Worthington (her son-in-law). Grandpa Alfred filled
      out the death certificate. Burial was in Carney Burial
      Ground--I can't locate the cemetery anywhere. Jacky's
      sister Jenny McGowan (born 1860) married Robert
      Carney, and Jacky was especially close to Jenny for
      whom she named her daughter. Grandpa did not have a
      burial plot at the time. He bought a plot in Greenwood
      upon the death in 1934 of Grandma Jenny, who was not
      born in 1882 (as it says on the tombstone) but in 1880
      on March 7. Census records of 1880 show Jenny as "year
      old granddaughter" in the household of Lemuel McGowan,
      Sr. and Perlina (variant spellings including Paulina,
      but Mama said the name was Perlina)McGowan the parents
      of Jacky Ann. Jacky was 30 years old. I felt that
      Jenny may have exercised a woman's privilege of not
      telling Grandpa her true age when they married. Mama
      herself had always stressed "how young" Grandma Jenny
      was in comparison to Grandpa. She herself visited the
      grave with me on several occasions and would have, I
      believe, have said something about the date of her
      mother's birth if she had known it was in error.
      Later, Carol

      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%

      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 15, 2004
        Dear Jean, What an ambitious project and great service
        to all of us, kin as well as interested researchers. I
        know only Jeremiah Worthington, my great, great
        grandfather who married Elizabeth Forbes, and his
        son--young Jeremiah who was called Jerry. Later, Carol

        === message truncated ===

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html