Re: [genpcncfir] Reedy Branch Church/List

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5, 2004
      Thanks, Paula. Your providing this information to
      everyone is priceless! Later, Carol

      === message truncated ===

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5, 2004
        Dear Trish, I see from Paula Baker's e-mail to the
        group that both (Joseph and Lucy )were buried in Reedy
        Branch Cemetery. Later, Carol

      • Trish Worthington Cobb
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5, 2004
          Carol
          Do you remember Alfred Earl Garris from our reunion just a few years
          ago when the Ed Witherington family hosted it?
          Alfred Earl died last week. His obit is on the Reflector site on 4/2/04.
          Trish

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 6, 2004
            Dear Marcia, I'll have to check my Worthington data
            base. I'd bet that either Trish or Lisa or both will
            have the information at hand. By the way, where is
            Maplewood? I've been to Kinston many times but am not
            familiar with the cemeteries there. Thanks, Carol
            --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

            === message truncated ===

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 6, 2004
              Dear Trish, Yes, I do remember him. That's so sad. To
              me, he looked the picture of health. Thanks for giving
              me the reference to his obituary. I'll go read it now.
              wrote:
              > Carol
              > Do you remember Alfred Earl Garris from our reunion
              > just a few years
              > ago when the Ed Witherington family hosted it?
              > Alfred Earl died last week. His obit is on the
              > Reflector site on 4/2/04.
              > Trish
              >
              > On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 12:57 PM, Carol Singh
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Dear Trish, I see from Paula Baker's e-mail to the
              > > group that both (Joseph and Lucy )were buried in
              > Reedy
              > > Branch Cemetery. Later, Carol
              > > --- Jack Devitt <devittdesign@...> wrote:
              > >> Trish, I feel I have so little to offer this
              > group.
              > >> What i know is probably nothing new. Joseph was
              > my
              > >> great great uncle. His second wife, Lucy was his
              > >> brother's wife's sister., Annie Lee. I believe
              > they
              > >> lived across from one another. I remember my
              > great
              > >> aunt Helen, but that's it. She's Joseph's
              > daughter.
              > >> Somewhere in these families(Worthingtons or
              > >> Cannons) being deaf was a trait. I'm still going
              > >> get this straight with my dad before his memory
              > gets
              > >> too blurry! Annie Lee Cannon was my great
              > >> grandmother and everyone tells me she was
              > beautiful
              > >> with very, very long hair. I do know that second
              > >> marriages were looked down upon in this family
              > >> because my great grandfather Needham Brock was
              > quite
              > >> rejected after his second marriage. Joseph's
              > >> brother, Jerry, was an army deserter. Lori

              === message truncated ===

            • Marcia McLawhorn
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 6, 2004
                Dear Carol,

                I'll can't find its exact address. I will have to find my papers from last June. I was in a motel on Business US 70 near 258. Where those roads meet, I took Alt 70 toward downtown Kinston. (On an Internet Map the direction is North) It was about a third to halfway from that intersection and City Hall. It is a large "L" shaped Cemetery on the right. The width of the top of the "L" borders the road I was on (about half a chicago city block) the length was four to six times the width. the "L" part had a width twice the size of the leg and there was another little part like a period across the street. A little bit like Italy's shape. A paved road borders the entire cemetery.

                It is a city cemetery and it is beautifully maintained by a 3-man crew. The neighborhood looks like they are some of the poorest citizens. There was a sidewalk though the center, which was used by students. Yet headstones were undamaged in any way but age. (I was surprised - here, I would they would be tagged, toppled and broken).

                One of the crew men told me of two other cemeteries, but I didn't get to those. One was west of where I was, he said that was really old and closed to new burials and one was back past my motel South of US 70. It had graves for blacks and some of them were McLawhorns. He also gave me directions to Pinelawn. Plus, he had sent me to city hall and told me how to get a listing of all McLawhorns buried in city cemeteries.

                Pinelawn Memorial Park 4488 US Highway 70 W, Kinston, NC
                you can see this one as you drive east on US70, but to get to it you have to turn left at the first light just past the cemetery and then left again (like a frontage road) past an army surplus store, up a slight grade. The road turns right at the main entrance and there is about 3 left turn entrances into the cemetery. There are McLawhorns in here including my husband and his grandfather.

                Oak Hill Memorial Park 2603 Tower Hill Rd, Kinston, NC
                I have not been here.

                I spent a couple of hours photographing (with permission) the William Briley Smith Graveyard, which was near the border of Lenoir and Jones county lines. It was well maintained, but there were not as many wooden crosses as I had seen in 1970.

                Sincerely,
                Marcia

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 8, 2004
                  Dear Marica, Thanks so much. It is fantastic that a
                  person can actually get listing of cemeteries where
                  McLawhorns are buried without even having to go there
                  first! I'm about certain that Greenville does not do
                  that. Life could be so much simpler for researchers if
                  every city followed that example. Your geographical
                  descriptions are priceless. You really do think
                  exactly like me--analytical, geographical! Show me!
                  Later, Carol