Re: Wake Forest, NC Cemetary

  • cajnbell
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 3:51 AM
      Here's a little more information on this recently found cemetery
      from the local newspaper, "The Wake Weekly",
      http://www.wakeweekly.com/archives/2004/Mar25-3.html
      The gist of the story - they don't know who is buried there, and
      they might be old slave graves. No headstones with names on them.

      And yes, it is in the town of Wake Forest, in Wake County, just NE
      of Raleigh.

      Jennifer Bell

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Paula" <p-bannerman@r...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      > Just thought I'd pass this article along. Although Wake Forest is
      located I think near Winston-Salem, you just never know, one of you
      from this list just may have relatives. At the very least it is an
      interesting article. Enjoy

      > http://www.nbc17.com/news/2961848/detail.html -The discovery of
      a 'family cemetery' (rather large) has temporarily
      > halted subdivision construction in Wake Forest: Town Council Must
      Approve Relocation Of Graves

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6 3:11 PM
        Dear Rhet: Ditto for Richmond. The bare branches of
        many of our trees still point skyward, dark and bony
        as witches' fingers casting spells. Frost and freeze
        warnings abound. The ground frozen as hard as marble
        rings like iron underfoot. Our famous Richmond wind
        whipping through the streets rips storm doors from
        their hinges and snaps limbs off lifeless trees. These
        fly through the air, unguided missiles bent on
        destruction. The full moon surrounded by blue-black,
        fast-moving clouds presides over the Walpurgis Nacht
        havoc below. These are nights for sitting before a
        roaring fire drinking hot cider and enjoying the
        company of a sleeping cat and dog curled up on the rug
        dreaming of spring. If this is not winter, then I
        don't know what is. Any Canadian or Alaskan, for that
        matter, would feel perfectly at home here--cemetery or
        no cemetery, Wake Forest or simply a wake! Later,
        Carol