Re: [genpcncfir] Digest Number 1288

  • KYamada187@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      I've been looking for Willis Wilson, but not this one. There was another one
      In Pitt County, NC in early 1800's. Would he be an ancestor?

      Mary Yamada

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:33:48 -0800 (PST)
      From: Louise Champion <champright@...>
      Subject: Re: Reedy Branch Cemetery

      This is a memorial sign that stands in front of the
      church. Typed from a video.

      Reedy Branch Free Will Baptist Church
      Front of sign—This church was organized around 1800,
      named for the branch overgrown with reeds north of the
      site. Original building was of log heated by a large
      fireplace with simple wood slab pews with wood peg
      legs.
      The 1850 Will of Theophilus Slaughter left “one acre
      of land whereon the Meeting House now stands which I
      gave to my beloved brethren and sisters to them and
      their successors of the free Will order from age to
      age and generation to generation.”
      After the Civil War, former slaves who worshipped here
      were assisted by Reverends

      Back of sign—(Continues from front)
      Billy May, Lorenza Nobles and James Craft in
      organizing a church near Greenville, NC known as
      English Chapel.
      Original building was replaced by frame building in
      1880. A 1901 larger frame building is the sanctuary
      today hidden by a bricked exterior. Land for the
      church cemetery was acquired in 1890.
      First full-time pastor and occupant of the parsonage
      was Rev. Henry McIvin. The longest record of tenure,
      32 years. Is held by Rev. Willis Wilson (1963-1995).
      Louise