Re: [genpcncfir] ANTI VIRUS PROGRAMS

  • Jack Devitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
      We use Norton anti-virus and zone alarm firewall. We have been bombarded lately with emails carrying viruses. I mean three or four a day. It has taken care of everything. We are very pleased. Lori
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
        I, too, have been bombarded with emails with viruses attached -- some of
        which appear to be returned mail from my email address. I use Norton
        Internet Security -- so far none of the viruses have infected my computer.
        It's very frustrating to have to delete half my messages. Pat
      • Susan Stewart
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
          Same for me! McAfee, however, notifies me if or when new viruses or suspected to arrive. This is helpful as it gives me warning of what to expect. I signed up for this notification from McAfee's website. I can update my scan program at any time and receive this service at no cost.

          Susan (Smith) Stewart
          smith rowe cannon jarrell laughinghouse hudson hardee haddock whitehurst adams evans banks etc

          > I, too, have been bombarded with emails with viruses attached -- some of
          > which appear to be returned mail from my email address. I use Norton
          > Internet Security -- so far none of the viruses have infected my computer.
          > It's very frustrating to have to delete half my messages. Pat
          >

          > Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
          >
          > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:
          >
          > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited supply: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
          >
          > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
          >
          > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
          > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        • squizzie
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
            Thanks to everyone who answered my e-mail. I see that I will be quite
            busy checking out all of these programs. I do like the Trojan Remover
            that my son put on the computer, it removes all of the pesty little
            trojans that are popping up. I have Norton Antivirus, but will check
            all of the new things out there and hopefully this will take care of my
            poor computer.

            Thanks again,

            Marilyn

          • Rhet Wilkinson
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
              I have ZoneAlarm on one of my computers and it really bothered me when it
              kept telling me someone was - I believe the term is pinging - my computer.
              My son - in - law showed me how to keep it from telling me each time it did
              it and I have been happy with that. Rhet
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                Rhet,

                What did you do to stop the pinging? We just installed Outpost and it's
                driving me crazy. My son hasn't had time to fix it yet.

                Marilyn

              • Charlynn Helms
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Marilyn - MUTE the volume until you find out how to control the audio
                  component of Outpost.

                  Start > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio devices > Adjust volume
                  Rhet,

                  What did you do to stop the pinging? We just installed Outpost and it's
                  driving me crazy. My son hasn't had time to fix it yet.

                  Marilyn

                  ---
                • Rhet Wilkinson