Re: [genpcncfir] ANTI VIRUS PROGRAMS

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi Marilyn and all,

      It is quite scary to have something mess up your computer like that. I am overly stringent to prevent something like that, which tends to get me into trouble - like when I delete a system file, not once but twice!

      I am retired as a computer programmer. To keep up with my computer, I receive information from Kim Komando at www.komando.com (careful a mistype takes you where you DO NOT want to go. I commend to you her advice. She recommends having a security and a firewall. She frequently recommends products and solutions � and many are free.

      You can find information on her site using a search feature.

      Entering �firewall�, I see there is input from people who are NOT satisfied with Norton Antivirus with Firewall. I do not use it, but I recommend that you see what they say before you try it. There might be a common mistakes you could avoid.

      Entering �ZoneAlarm� gives input on that product. I can see the overviews are similar to my own experience. I downloaded this particular product � choosing the 2 week trial version of one that they charge for. I was unhappy with all its bells and whistles and removed it after two days. A positive result was that my computer is now free of all the trash that gave me popup ads at an alarming rate. I liked the results so much I would download it (and remove it) again if they startup again. I am planning to try the totally free version when I have a moment I wish to experiment with it.

      I hope this helps, I would be happy to talk about this again.
      Marcia

      See Kim�s topic �Questions about downloading software?�

      FREE SOFTWARE that she recommends, includes:

      1. Spyware and Adware Squasher - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
      Fight back against ad-supported software components (otherwise known as "spyware") with Adaware, a free removal utility that scans your system and allows you to safely remove spyware components from your memory, registry and hard drives. (Which also gets my son�s approval.)

      2. Free Virus Protection - http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
      AVG AntiVirus is freeware that protects your computer from viruses and worms. Place infected files in a vault or clean them. The easy-to-use interface allows you to scan on demand and set up for e-mail protection. Download updates for free!

      squizzie <squizzie@...> wrote:
      Hi Everyone,

      Well as you can see Jewelle (bless her heart) got me back up and running
      with the group again. Have a question for everyone. Has anyone used
      Norton Antivirus with Firewall? I have Norton Antivirus, but it could
      not remove the trojan virus from the computer. Had to get a program
      called Trojan Remover. Or does anyone have any good suggestions?

      Appreciate any and all help.

      Marilyn
      :-!

      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

    • Jack Devitt

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
          I, too, have been bombarded with emails with viruses attached -- some of
          which appear to be returned mail from my email address. I use Norton
          Internet Security -- so far none of the viruses have infected my computer.
          It's very frustrating to have to delete half my messages. Pat
        • Susan Stewart
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
            Same for me! McAfee, however, notifies me if or when new viruses or suspected to arrive. This is helpful as it gives me warning of what to expect. I signed up for this notification from McAfee's website. I can update my scan program at any time and receive this service at no cost.

            Susan (Smith) Stewart
            smith rowe cannon jarrell laughinghouse hudson hardee haddock whitehurst adams evans banks etc

            > I, too, have been bombarded with emails with viruses attached -- some of
            > which appear to be returned mail from my email address. I use Norton
            > Internet Security -- so far none of the viruses have infected my computer.
            > It's very frustrating to have to delete half my messages. Pat
            >

            > Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
            >
            > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:
            >
            > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited supply: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
            >
            > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
            >
            > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
            > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

          • squizzie
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
              Thanks to everyone who answered my e-mail. I see that I will be quite
              busy checking out all of these programs. I do like the Trojan Remover
              that my son put on the computer, it removes all of the pesty little
              trojans that are popping up. I have Norton Antivirus, but will check
              all of the new things out there and hopefully this will take care of my
              poor computer.

              Thanks again,

              Marilyn

            • Rhet Wilkinson
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                I have ZoneAlarm on one of my computers and it really bothered me when it
                kept telling me someone was - I believe the term is pinging - my computer.
                My son - in - law showed me how to keep it from telling me each time it did
                it and I have been happy with that. Rhet

                squizzie <squizzie@...> wrote:
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • squizzie
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Rhet,

                  What did you do to stop the pinging? We just installed Outpost and it's
                  driving me crazy. My son hasn't had time to fix it yet.

                  Marilyn

                • Charlynn Helms
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                    Marilyn - MUTE the volume until you find out how to control the audio
                    component of Outpost.

                    Start > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio devices > Adjust volume
                    Rhet,

                    What did you do to stop the pinging? We just installed Outpost and it's
                    driving me crazy. My son hasn't had time to fix it yet.

                    Marilyn

                    ---
                  • Rhet Wilkinson