Kinston Court House and Wayne, Dobbs County Records

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2004
      Sorry, I asked the wrong question, but the reply was enough to help me find
      the answer that was hanging somewhere in the back of my mind. All my files are
      in storage, so I am relying mostly on memory these days of things I think I
      remember. Thanks Jewell, it was enough to find the answer I really wanted and
      another little tidbit.

      By putting in the 1878 date in a search engine and a few other words a few
      times I came up with the date for Wayne/Dobbs records being destroyed in 1781
      by the invading armies of Lord Cornwallis in 1781. (The 1781 date was the one
      I was thinking about.) "Most of the records of Dobbs (Wayne County) which
      escaped the Revolution and the Civil War were lost when the courthouse at
      Kinston burned in 1878 and 1880 as a result of arson."

      Now, that rang a bell for me. But here's the little extra tidbit that I
      didn't know or had never read. From a descendant of the man who was responsible
      for the fire, Tony Colie writes:

      It is said that Uncle Jim and another person hired 4 blacks to burn down the
      livery stable in Kinston, NC. The fire got out of control and burned most of
      the town (including the Lenoir County Courthouse.) Uncle Jim was found not
      guilty but the Judge ordered him to leave the state. He went to South Carolina.

      Uncle Jim was James Bryant Coley