Helpful links for death, birth, marriage records...and more

  • Charlynn Helms
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2004
      Here is a list of some GREAT links to help you find genealogy related
      information

      Charlynn

      M c N E A L (or M c N E I L L), - 1792 NC?, 1816 GA (Columbia, Bibb) 1850 -
      AL (Henry, Choctaw, Washington) 1870 - MS (Wayne, Sunflower, LeFlore)
      F E A R S - 1799 VA / NC, 1816 - GA, 1850 - AL
      M E U X - 1660 - VA (Kent), late 1700s - TN / MS
      T H O M P S ON - 1800-s MS
      R E D D I C K - 1800's SC (Edgecomb), 1820 - GA (Bibb), 1846 - FL
      J O H N S O N - 1800's GA (Columbia, Bibb), 1850 - AL (Henry)
      F R E E M A N - 1800's - TN (McNairy, Hardin, Hardeman, Shelby)
      M c W H I R T E R - 1780 - SC, 1800 - KY, 1830 - TN (Hardin, McNairy)
      W I L L I A M S - 1840 - TN (Hardin, McNairy)

      H E L M S - 1720 NC (Stanley, Anson, Union)
      B O W E R S. - 1850 NC (Union)
      O 'N E A L - 1830 NC
      C O L E - 1910 MS
      F U N D E R B U R G/K - 1400 - Germany, 1700 - GA, AL, MS

      Here's the site with all the Texas records:

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/Texas/

      Kind of funny RootsWeb yanked them, but they're still on a RootsWeb site.
      Yes, it says cemetery records, but when you enter the county (or "all
      counties") you can enter the surname(s) plus any other keywords such as
      first name(s), year, "births," "deaths," "marriages," "divorces," "obits,"
      or "cemetery."

      Here are some sites I like to explore when filling in dates, etc. on the
      more contemporary generations in my tree or when just being nosy! All of
      these will provide more detailed information for a fee (usually a hefty
      fee), but the searches are free and can provide a wealth of information.
      Often you have to combine the information from two or three different ones
      to get all the puzzle pieces, but it doesn't take long to learn the
      strengths and weaknesses of each. This information comes from public
      records and includes data on deceased individuals, too.

      1. USSearch http://www.ussearch.com

      Often includes middle names and women's maiden names. Don't worry about
      knowing the right age for the person(s) on this one. Put in anything over
      20 and it'll be happy.

      2. InteliUS http://find.intelius.com

      What I really like about this one is that the search results often group
      everyone in the same household together (if the Mrs. and adult children have
      done anything to generate a public record). Check out the advanced search
      option, and if you're nosing around in Kentucky or Texas, they have marriage
      and divorce records for those states, too.

      3. KnowX http://www.knowx.com

      This one includes marriage and divorce records for Florida, Nevada, Texas,
      and the SSDI (although RootsWeb's version is better).

      4. PeopleData http://www.people-data.com

      Results list often gives month and year of birth, not just age.

      5. Public Record Finder http://www.publicrecordfinder.com

      More state-level databases. You can get a free guest pass to search many
      databases including the CA birth index. Unless you pay for a "Premium
      Membership" you can't search by first name which is okay unless you're
      looking for a record for someone with a common last name. You'll still get
      all the results, but you have to go through the whole result list from A to
      Z.

      6. Search Systems http://www.searchsystems.net

      Similar to #5. Find out if your doctor has been disciplined by the medical
      board!

      7. AnyBirthday.com http://anybirthday.com

      Birthdates only. Type in a full or partial first name and last name.
      Narrow it down with a full or partial zip code if desired. (Use with #8 if
      needed.)

      8. USPS Zip Code Finder http://www.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.htm

      Look up zip code for any location. Also has reverse locator which is useful
      with #7.

      9. Area Code Maps
      http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/area_code_maps.html

      Good detailed area code maps for every state. Even shows the ones about to
      be added.

      10. MapQuest http://www.mapquest.com

      Good street level maps with actual satellite shots. See what your house
      looks like from orbit!

      ---
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2004
        Dear Charlynn, I don't know if the families are
        related, but there are a number of families of that
        name living in Richmond. Some of them attended Grove
        Avenue Baptist Church, where my brothers and sister
        and I went. One of the daughters was in my Sunday
        School class. The Church moved a couple of decades ago
        after selling its property to V.C.U. It is now located
        further west on Parham Road but kept its name. I still
        have close friends attending Grove Avenue. They could
        no doubt put me in touch if someone does not find what
        he is looking for in the links you gave. Later, Carol

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html