[genpcfr] Re: Pugh Cemetery?

  • Martha Marble
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7 5:26 AM
      Does anyone know anything about this cemetery? Janice or Allen, would you
      ask Bill about it? Nancy says it is close to St. John's. Has it ever been
      surveyed?

      Thanks

      Martha

      >The Cemetery I am referring to is located off East Hanrahan Road, on Marvin
      >Taylor Road. It is a thick wooded area on the west side of the Marvin
      >Taylor Road. There are approximately 20 to 30 headstones. The thick under
      >brush made it impossible for me to search most of the names. The headstones
      >that are accessible are mainly "Smith". (my great grandmothers maiden name.
      >She is buried there.) There are a lot of "wooden" makers with "no name". I
      >was told it was the "Pugh" cemetery by one of my Aunts that lived in the
      >area most of her young adult life. She is 82 years old and said she had
      >been there many times for burials.
      >
      >Some of my relatives are trying to clean the cemetery of brush and briars.
      >I was trying to get some information on who the land owner might be before
      >they proceed. I am going to the Pitt Co. and Greene Co. Court House to see
      >if I can find the information I need.
      >
      >Thank you so much. You have shed some light. I believe that the land may
      >have belonged to the "Smith's" at one time.
      >
      >Nancy Pittman

    • Janice TRIPP Gurganus
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7 8:49 PM
        Checking my msgs too late tonight, but will call Bill about this tomorrow.

        Janice Tripp Gurganus

      • Janice TRIPP Gurganus
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8 8:33 AM
          Martha and Nancy,

          I spoke with Bill Kittrell about the Pugh Cemetery. He said the Pugh
          Cemetery was surveyed by Jeannette St. Amand and is in her Vol. III, pp.
          87-88; however, Stan Little (NC Dept of Archives & History) later surveyed
          the same cemetery and made numerous corrections. Neither Ms. St. Amand nor
          Stan noted any Smiths in the cemetery.

          Bill said he'll be glad to type up the corrections for you, if you want him
          to. He asks that you send a list of the Smiths who are buried in the
          cemetery that you're referring to so he can research his records and be sure
          this one has been surveyed. You may send the list to me and I'll print it
          for him, or mail it to Bill at 2200 Black Jack-Simpson Road, Greenvile, NC
          27858-8394.

          Janice