PCFR Reunion

  • Brenda Stocks
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 9, 2004
      PCFR President, Roger Kammerer asked me to post the following information regarding our Reunion for 2004.

      The date has been set for the weekend of October 16 at the Morman Church Fellowship Hall in Greenville, NC. Our thanks go to William Cox for making these arrangements for PCFR. Some of you have already made inquiries about the date, so you may now make your plans to attend.

      This will be our tenth anniversary, and we hope to make this a very special weekend for visiting with cousins and friends as well as for research. As plans and schedules are developed for this weekend, information will be posted on the NC-PCFR mail list and our PCFR website. We're excited and looking forward to seeing everyone at this gathering, especially those of you that we haven't seen since the last Reunion in 2002!
      Brenda Stocks
      NC-PCFR-L@...
      Visit the PCFR website at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr

    • Brenda Stocks
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
        INFORMATION ABOUT PCFR REUNION:
        RESERVATIONS DUE SEPTEMBER 30.

        The Pitt County Family Researchers' Fall Reunion will be October 15
        and 16 at the Morman Church in Greenville, NC. The church is located at
        307 Martinborough Rd. ( Turn on South Evans St.from Greenville Blvd.,
        go to the first stoplight and turn left on Martinborough Rd. One block
        after turning on Martinborough you will see the church on the right
        at the corner of Martinborough and Asbury.)

        Friday October 15:

        Registration will be from 8:00-9:00 am. Coffee and doughnuts will be
        served during this hour.

        At 10:00 am Dr. Stephen Bradley will speak to our group. He has
        published many useful books for genealogists in Pitt Co., including eight
        volumes of Early Records of NC (wills, probate, administrations,
        inventories, and deeds). Dr. Bradley will have his books that are of
        interest to researchers in our area available for purchase that day.

        After Dr. Bradley's presentation, transportation will be provided to
        the Courthouse, Sheppard Memorial Library, and Joyner Library at ECU. The
        Morman Church Library and the PCFR Meeting room at the church will also be
        open all day for those who wish to research there and exchange information
        with others. The Pitt County Family Researchers' vertical files will be in
        our meeting room for your use also. These files consist of family data sent
        in over the years by our members.(trees, bibles, wills, etc.) A copier will
        be provided in our meeting room.

        On Friday you will be on your own for lunch and dinner. We will
        reserve a room at a local restaurant for those who would like to meet for
        dinner Friday night. This location will be announced later.

        Saturday Oct. 16:

        Registration, coffee and doughnuts will be from 8:00 til 9:00am.

        10:00 am Dr. A.B. Pruitt will speak to our group on Land Grants. Dr.Pruitt
        has published a number of books of interest to family researchers in eastern
        NC, his latest being Craven County Land Entries (1778-1796). He will also
        have his books available for purchase on that day.

        There will be a short business meeting following Dr. Pruitt's
        presentation. Lunch will be catered in the Meeting Room there at the Morman
        Church. This lunch is included in the registration fee. The afternoon will
        be for research, exchange of information and fellowship.

        We would like to have any of your family information that you will
        share for our Vertical Files, or an update for information that you have
        submitted to the files in the past This is a good way to make contact at
        this meeting with other researchers with your family lines. We urge you to
        add your trees or pedigree charts to the vertical files either before
        the Reunion or when you come on Oct. 15. Please mail family
        information to:

        Pitt County Family Researchers
        PO Box 20339
        Greenville, NC 27858

        Checks for registration fees and reservations are due by September 30.
        The registration fee for the two days will be $28.
        The fee for attending one day will be $20. The deadline for registration and
        reservations is September 30. Make checks payable to Pitt County Family
        Researchers and mail to:

        Pitt County Family Researchers
        PO Box 20339
        Greenville, NC 27858

        When you remit the registration fee, please indicate if you are going to
        join the group for dinner on Friday night (Oct. 15) and let us us know if
        you will be bringing anyone with you. This has been a great night of fun
        and fellowship at the past Reunions. We have been having this dinner at
        Parkers in the past, but I haven't been notified yet where it will be this year.
        I will post that information as soon as I get it. We need to know the number
        that will be dining together Fri.night before we can reserve seats at a restaurant. .
        This meal is not included in the Registration fee.

        Below is a list of hotels near the site of the Reunion. They are listed
        because of their location, no recommendation intended. You can check
        them out online.When you send your reservations in for the meeting you may
        request an information flyer from the Greenville Chamber of Commerce. I
        understand we have those available.

        Comfort Inn
        3900 S. Memorial Sr.
        252-355-0070

        Hampton Inn
        3439 S. Memorial Dr.
        252-355-2521

        Hilton Greenville
        207 W. Greenville Blvd
        252-355-5000

        Wingate Inn
        3212 S. Memorial Dr
        252-355-4283

        City Hotel and Bistro
        203 W. Greenville Blvd
        252-355-8300

        Brenda Stocks
        NC-PCFR List Adm.

      • Lou-BB
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
          Hello group,

          I am looking for a marriage between Henry Curtis Bass and Ruth Tucker (maybe
          Viverette) between 1927 - 1932. I have looked in Edgecombe, Nash and Wilson
          Counties and even did a search in Dillon and Florence, SC. "NOTHING," was
          found at any of the Register of Deeds or the Probate Office. This license is
          the only one I lack, to finish my book, The Bass Family, Then and Now. Can
          someone do a search in their county other than the ones I have listed above?
          I surely will appreciate you doing this for me.

          Sincerely,
          Linda Bottoms Bass
        • Louise
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
            I would love to know more about my Aunt Jenny's
            family. I have a picture of Jenny Marie McGlohon,
            Nichols. I would like to post it somewhere, so that
            other McGlohon's could see if she looks like any of
            their Pitt Co. relatives. Is there a web site to do
            that?

            Jenny has a much younger sister, Dorothy. Jenny's
            husband, Earl Nichols, was born in 1908. She was near
            his age.

            She was raised in or around Winterville, NC. As you
            know McGlohon has many spellings and I'm not sure if I
            have the right spelling here.

            Three Nichols' boy and their father bought land in
            Virgina and moved from Pitt Co. about 1937 to 1940.
            They would return to Pitt Co. often to visit
            relatives. Pitt Co. is basically all of my relatives'
            roots and they all had very large families. Thanks a
            bunch. Louise

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Karen Oakley Moore
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
              Hi Louise,

              I don't see why Betsy couldn't post it on the website.
              There are other pictures there.

              http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr

              Karen

              http://messenger.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                Dear Louise, I think that I can tie your Aunt Jenny
                into my Nichols line. I think that your McGlohon (mine
                too) tie into the Nichols-Slaughter-Worthington
                (variant spellings)--McGlohon line. I'll get back to
                you between now and tomorrow afternoon. Later, Carol

                http://vote.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                  Ruth,
                  I found a Henry Bass in the World War I registrations.
                  It was for Robeson County. He signed his name Boss
                  Bass. Could this be yours?

                  Paula
                  --- Lou-BB <Lou-BB@...> wrote:

                  > Hello group,
                  >
                  > I am looking for a marriage between Henry Curtis
                  > Bass and Ruth Tucker (maybe
                  > Viverette) between 1927 - 1932. I have looked in
                  > Edgecombe, Nash and Wilson
                  > Counties and even did a search in Dillon and
                  > Florence, SC. "NOTHING," was
                  > found at any of the Register of Deeds or the Probate
                  > Office. This license is
                  > the only one I lack, to finish my book, The Bass
                  > Family, Then and Now. Can
                  > someone do a search in their county other than the
                  > ones I have listed above?
                  > I surely will appreciate you doing this for me.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Linda Bottoms Bass

                  =====
                  Paula Baker
                  Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

                  http://vote.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                    I found a Henry Bass for Robeson Co NC in the World
                    War I registrations. He signed his name Boss Bass.
                    Is this yours?

                    Paula

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                      I think his father signed his name Boss Bass, not
                      Henry. It's difficult to read those World War I
                      registrations. Anyway...Send me some dates on your
                      Henry C. Bass and possible dates for Ruth
                      Viverette/Tucker and I'll look around some more. I
                      remembering looking for you once, but there is more
                      info around than there was then.

                      Paula

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                        Nope. Thanks for trying.Linda Bass

                        > I found a Henry Bass for Robeson Co NC in the World
                        > War I registrations. He signed his name Boss Bass.
                        > Is this yours?
                        >
                        > Paula
                        >
                        > =====
                        > Paula Baker
                        > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and
                        > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

                      • Lou-BB
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                          Paula,

                          Thanks for your help. As I said earlier, this marriage

                          certificate is all I need to finish my book. I've looked

                          everywhere I know to look and still can't find it.

                          LBB

                          HENRY CURTIS14 (PETE) BASS, was born August 24, 1911 in Elm City, Wilson
                          County, NC, and died March 15, 1999 in Elm City, Wilson County, NC. He
                          married (1) RUTH TUCKER (VIVERETTE.) She was born April 4, 1913, died June
                          11, 1966 in Elm City, Wilson County, NC. Her parent's names were James
                          Tucker and Annie Cook. (Soon after Ruth Tuckers father died, her mother,
                          Annie, married Robert Viverette. Though never legally changed, Ruth was
                          always know as Ruth Viverette, though her last name was Tucker. I didn't
                          know what her maiden name was until I saw it on her first child's birth
                          certificate.)

                          Children of HENRY BASS and RUTH TUCKER are:

                          #1a. JAMES FRANKLIN BASS, B./D. July 17th, 1932 in Wilson County,

                          NC (According to family members, named after Grandpa Frank
                          Bass.)

                          #2a. One stillborn, sex and birth of child not known in Wilson
                          County, NC

                          #3a. JANICE RUTH BASS, B. February 23, 1936, D. February 26th, 1938
                          in

                          Wilson County, NC. (On her birth certificate it states:
                          Number of

                          children of this mother at time of this birth and including
                          this child 3,

                          1 living, Janice; 1 dead, James and 1 stillborn.)

                          #4a. Unnamed Female, B./D. February 6th, 1938 in Wilson County, NC

                          #5a. WILTON CURTIS15 BASS, B. June 12, 1942 in Nash CO, NC

                          #6a. KENNETH JERRY15 (BUD) BASS, B. September 8, 1943

                          in Nash CO, NC

                          #7a. Unnamed Female B/D October 10th, 1944

                          #8a. HILDA RUTH15 BASS, B. May 27, 1947 in Nash CO, NC

                          #9a. RANDALL FRANKLIN15 (BUTCH) BASS, B. January 25, 1949,

                          in Nash CO, NC

                          #10a. GLENDA ANN15 BASS, B. May 27, 1950 in Nash CO, NC

                          #11a. SHARON GAIL15 BASS, B. May 9, 1951 in Nash CO. NC

                        • HUBCAPTG@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                            (Coffee at the Morman Church???)

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                              MARGARET BASS
                              WILSON -- Margaret Williams Bass, 85, died Sunday.

                              The funeral will be conducted by the Rev. Gene Wells
                              and the Rev. Jimmy Bussell at 2 p.m. Wednesday at
                              Joyner's Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Cedar
                              Grove Cemetery, Elm City.

                              Survivors include four daughters, Kathy Fardy and
                              Sharon Bridgers of Wilson and Hilda Bussell and Ann
                              Bass of Williamston; three sons, Randall "Butch" Bass
                              of New Port, Wilton Bass of Pikeville, and Kenneth
                              "Bud" Bass of New Bern; two sisters, Jane Jones and
                              Nannie Leigh Williford of Elm City; a brother, Norman
                              Williams of Elm City; and 12 Grandchildren and six
                              great-grandchildren.

                              She was preceded in death by her husband, Henry Curtis
                              "Pete" Bass.

                              The family will receive friends from Tuesday from 7
                              until 9 p.m. at Joyner's Funeral Home, and other times
                              at 2108 Burnside Drive.

                              Flowers are Welcome or memorial donations may be made
                              to Community Home Care & Hospice, 2860-C Ward
                              Boulevard, Wilson, N.C., 27893.

                              Published in Obituaries on February 16, 2004 02:07 PM

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                                Paula, This lady was Henry Curtis Bass' second wife. Aunt Margaret was a
                                great person and everyone loved her. Quite unusual for a step mom. Linda

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                                  Yes, we have permission to serve coffee with doughnuts each morning. There is a "no smoking" rule that will be respected.

                                  Brenda Stocks

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                                    1930 United States Federal Census > North Carolina >
                                    Wilson > Toisnot > District 21

                                    Lou,

                                    Ruth Viv is living with Rob and Annie Viverette in
                                    1930 census. She is single and 17. So marriage must
                                    have taken place 1930 or after.

                                    pb

                                    =====

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                                      Paula,
                                      That's what I was thinking. She and Uncle Pete had their first child in
                                      1932,
                                      but I still can't find when or where they were married. Dang it.
                                      Thanks for your help.
                                      Lou

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                                        Keep in mind that he may have used Pete. Also, that
                                        his name could have been transcribed as Boss.

                                        Paula

                                        =====

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 21, 2006
                                          The 2006 Pitt County Family Researchers Reunion is three weeks from
                                          tomorrow. If you have not made your reservation and would like to attend,
                                          please do so now, for final planning will begin very soon. The number of
                                          attendees is needed for caterers, reserving space for the Dutch dinner on
                                          Friday night, and other arrangements that need to be finalized.

                                          We will have two speakers during the two day event.
                                          Ann Basnight of Washington, NC will speak on Troubles with the 1900-1930
                                          Census Records. She is President of the North Carolina Genealogical Society.
                                          Larry Thompson of the Plymouth Museum will speak on family research and
                                          history in Eastern NC.

                                          REUNION WEEKEND INFORMATION

                                          Pitt County Family Researchers, Inc. 2006 Reunion
                                          Oct. 13-14, 2006
                                          Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
                                          307 Martinsborough Road, Greenville, NC

                                          For 2 days, Oct. 14-15 $30.00
                                          1 day, Oct. 13.............$15.00
                                          1 day Oct. 14.............$20.00

                                          Make checks payable to PCFR, Inc.
                                          Attn. 2006 Reunion
                                          P. O. Box 20339
                                          Greenville, NC 27858-0339
                                          Pre-registration preferred: Deadline Sept. 30, 2006
                                          Please indicate how many you will have attending the Dutch Dinner on Friday
                                          night.
                                          For those who request, a packet concerning motels/hotels/map will be mailed
                                          to you

                                          For more information contact:
                                          Roger Kammerer (252) 758-6882

                                          SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
                                          Friday, Oct. 13
                                          8:00 AM Registration/Check-in. Coffee, doughnuts, juice
                                          9:00 AM Welcome and Opening remarks
                                          9:30 AM Open research time, libraries and/or Court House; transportation
                                          provided.
                                          Dutch lunch can be had at nearby locations
                                          4:00 PM Return transportation provided to Mormon Family History Center
                                          6:00 PM Dutch dinner (restaurant to be determined)

                                          Saturday, Oct. 14
                                          8:00 AM Registration/Check-in. Coffee, doughnuts, juice
                                          9:00 AM Welcome and Opening remarks
                                          9:30 AM Speaker
                                          10:30 AM Speaker
                                          11:15 AM October PCFR Announcements & introduction of new officers
                                          11:30 AM Lunch, Catered on site
                                          1:00-until Open Time for on-site sharing and research

                                          There will be PCFR and personal genealogical files open for perusal.
                                          A copy machine will be provided at a nominal charge.
                                          There will be some books and resource material for purchase.
                                          The Mormon Family History Center will be open for attendees.
                                          Brenda
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 21, 2006
                                            Dear Brenda,
                                            I will be attending for the two days. I will send
                                            in my reservation this weekend.
                                            I will e-mail Roger as well.
                                            Later, Carol

                                          • Brenda Stocks
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 6, 2006
                                              Pitt County Family Researchers Reunion is coming up next weekend, Oct. 13-14. We have a good crowd registered and look forward to another sucessful
                                              meeting. As usual we plan for some walkins, so if you find you can join us, come on out Friday and/or Sat. You can pay at the door. The information is posted below. We are meeting for dinner on Friday night at 6:00 at Parker's Barbeque Restaurant.If you decide in advance that you do wish to attend either of the days or the dinner, you might call Roger and let him know. His number is in the information below.

                                              I'm looking forward to seeing those of you who are planning to attend!

                                              Brenda

                                              REUNION WEEKEND INFORMATION

                                              Pitt County Family Researchers, Inc. 2006 Reunion
                                              Oct. 13-14, 2006
                                              Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
                                              307 Martinsborough Road, Greenville, NC

                                              For 2 days, Oct. 14-15 $30.00
                                              1 day, Oct. 13.............$15.00
                                              1 day Oct. 14.............$20.00

                                              Make checks payable to PCFR, Inc.
                                              For more information contact:
                                              Roger Kammerer (252) 758-6882

                                              SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
                                              Friday, Oct. 13
                                              8:00 AM Registration/Check-in. Coffee, doughnuts, juice

                                              9:00 AM Welcome and Opening remarks

                                              9:30 AM Open research time, libraries and/or Court House; transportation provided.
                                              Dutch lunch can be had at nearby locations

                                              4:00 PM Return transportation provided to Mormon Family History Center

                                              6:00 PM Dutch dinner at Parker's Barbeque

                                              Saturday, Oct. 14
                                              8:00 AM Registration/Check-in. Coffee, doughnuts, juice

                                              9:00 AM Welcome and Opening remarks

                                              9:30 AM Speaker

                                              10:30 AM Speaker

                                              11:15 AM October PCFR Announcements & introduction of new officers

                                              11:30 AM Lunch, Catered on site

                                              1:00-until Open Time for on-site sharing and research

                                              There will be PCFR and personal genealogical files open for perusal

                                              A copy machine will be provided at a nominal charge

                                              There will be some books and resource material for purchase

                                              The Mormon Family History Center will be open for attendees

                                            • Marcia McLawhorn
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                Dear Brenda,

                                                Last week, I mailed my check to the following address.

                                                > Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
                                                > 307 Martinsborough Road, Greenville, NC 27858 - 0339

                                                Yesterday, it was returned to me. I was very upset. I
                                                already talked to Roger about this.

                                                It is my understanding that another address was to be
                                                used. I didn't get what address, but Roger said just
                                                bring it with me.
                                                Marcia

                                              • Brenda Stocks
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                  Hello Marcia,

                                                  Reading the notice below I can see why you did that . I neglected to include the PCFR address in that notice. (PO Box 20339, Greenville, NC 27858-0339).Sorry about that. It's no problem. Just pay at the door when you get there. I'll be checking everyone in at the door anyway. Since you let Roger know you are attending he will add you to the number for the caterer and the Friday night dinner....so you don't need to do anything else. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

                                                • Marcia McLawhorn
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                    Thank you. I was sick about it.