Can You Relate?

  • Kimberley
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
      The following is an article written by Lee Wood. I think you all
      will be able to relate to this.

      TOMBSTONE SECRETS
      Do any of you have a member of your family who is into
      genealogy? If so, you will have no problem relating to this
      article. There is one in my clan, but it's for sure, I'm not the
      one. I can't even spell the word without looking it up.
      The zealot in this field of interest would be my sister. I
      won't say she's fanatical about the subject, but she definitely
      doesn't take it lightly. While she may go to the grocery store and
      forget one of the items she went after, you can ask her about great-
      great-great uncle John, or cousin Sally Mae, seven times removed,
      and without batting an eye, she can fire off more information that
      The Census Bureau. And, unless you're one of the (genealogists),
      you don't want to among their group when they get together and start
      talking. I really do believe they speak a foreign language, so
      the "outsiders" can't understand them. They have clubs and
      communicate with people all over the world. they have large gala
      affairs where the members and guests fly in from other places, and
      they all eat, drink, and talk about those who have passed. I'm here
      to tell you, when I attend a party, the last thing I want to do is
      discuss dead people.
      Once, my sister, mother and I had been out of town shopping and
      we were on our way back. Their idea of a fun day is to stop at
      every little antique store -- every little gift shop -- every little
      clothing outlet -- and last, but not least, have lunch or dinner (or
      both) in some nice restaurant. That is not my definition of
      pleasure and those type of outings tire me to no end. Also,
      patience is not one of my virtues, and when my body and mind have
      had enough, so has my patience. That day, it had almost reached the
      danger point. My sister was driving -- my mother was sitting in the
      passenger seat, and they were chatting up a storm -- no sign of
      fatigue. I was in the back seat, trying to remain civil until we
      got home and I could kick off my heels and pull off my tummy control
      pantyhose.
      Then my sister exclaimed, "I think I see a cemetery over in the
      back of that field." My mother confirmed it. What did we do?
      Turned off on a lane that looked as though it hadn't been used for
      years. Driving over bumps and through tall grasses -- making a road
      where that one ended -- we were headed for the graveyard. My sister
      was on a mission. When we finally got there, they (Mom and sis)
      jumped out of the car and fought brambles to get to the monuments
      and find out who was buried there. Sis found a headstone that had
      information she thought might help her research -- so she yanked a
      sheet of white paper off her drawing pad, got a graphite pencil, and
      placing the paper over the etchings, began gently moving the lead
      across the paper to make a copy.
      All the while, I kept asking myself, "What am I doing here?"
      And praying that the person who owned the land wouldnt come up with
      a shotgun and ask the same question. One thing that did activate my
      curiosity was an old mausoleum. I had never seen one before. It
      had deteriorated so much that the identifying data had been
      destroyed, and some of the stones lay loose around the entrance. It
      gave me the willies, and I half expected the occupant to come
      outside to see what was going on. Of course, that would have put me
      into a permanent coma -- but I don't believe it would have fazed my
      mother and sister. I think they would have just asked him his name,
      rank, and serial number -- and about every member of his family.
      Still, over all, I am interested in the ancestral history my
      mother and sister have documented. Some of it might help explain
      why our family is so strange. For instance, Sis traced one link of
      lineage back to the year 1774, then she said it was like coming to a
      dead end -- It was as if they never existed before that time. Maybe
      they were aliens. Maybe they came from another planet ona UFO.
      It's possilbe! Without valid proof to contradict it, how can you
      argue that it didn't happen?
      Another side of the family line she traced led back to
      Massachusetts, circa 1700. She's never been able to get authentic
      verification of that, but I feel sure the information is correct.
      And, I'd be willing to wager that the area was in or around Salem --
      perhaps with a relative or two on the receiving end of a fiery
      death. I surely wouldn't find this somthing to boast about, but at
      least it would give a legitimate foundation to those thimes when
      some have referred to me as a "Witch." As terrible as that sounds,
      it's better than the times when others have called me by a similar
      name that begins with a "B." I even had one very prominent man who
      became extremely irate when I didn't go along with his requ3sts, to
      combine the two and call me a "Witch-B----." Am I one? I'm a bit
      unusual -- but no, I don't think I am a witch --certainly not one
      given special powers. And, I know for a fact that I am not a female
      dog.
      Well, enough of this playing with your mind. All kidding
      asike, I very much want to know who and what our ancestors were --
      "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." My sister took a hiatus from
      doing research a few years ago when she had some things going on in
      her life. Now, I think she's getting back on track and I sincerely
      hope she will start spending time again in those dusty archives, and
      begin visiting new cemeteries. I really want a copy of everything
      she finds -- I just hope she doesn't make me go with her to find it.
    • Susan Stewart
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2004
        Kimberley, thank you for sharing. It is quiet interesting. I'm hanging on to it.

        Best regards,

        Susan (Smith) Stewart
        SMITH ROWE CANNON JARRELL LAUGHINGHOUSE HUDSON HARDEE WHITEHURST EVANS ADAMS BANKS...etc.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
          Dear Kimberley, Yes, we can relate--especially to the
          good, the bad, and the ugly. Just kidding! However, as
          my son said of J.R. of Dallas fame when my son was
          only 6 years old: "You know, Mama, good people really
          aren't very interesting!" Later, Carol

          http://search.yahoo.com