[genpcncfir] Early eastern NC McLawhorn

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2004
      To the McLawhorn researchers in the Group,
      I have the following early beginnings of the McLawhorn family. Much of my information came through Leah McGlohon�s books.
      Marcia

      Read "Scots to Colonial North Carolina Before 1775"
      http://www.dalhousielodge.org/Thesis/scotstonc.htm

      The earliest McLawhorn that I have is Jeremiah McGlohon (b: about 1710 - d: before Apr 1759 in Loosing Swamp, Bertie County, North Carolina). His father may have been from Ulster, Ireland. It is possible, that Jeremiah was born in the colonies, but more likely that he immigrated with the first Scotch-Irish that came after 1718.

      Jeremiah (b: about 1710) may be the father of Edmund and John McGlohon (b: about 1741 - d: about 1800). John McGlohon (b: About 1741) may be the father of both George McGlohon (wife: Mary Harrington) and Jeremiah McGlohon (b: 1765; wife: Fanny).

      Children of Jeremiah McGlohon (b: 1765) and his wife Fanny:
      Jonathan McGlawhorn (d: 1887) wed Mary Raspberry before 1821
      Jeremiah McGlowhon
      Sarah McGlawhorn wed Robert A Witherington, Sr.*
      Elizabeth Rebecca Ann 'Rebecca' McGlowhorn (d: Mar 1870) wed _____Spier_Worthington,_Sr. (1798 - 1860)*
      Priscilla McGlohon wed Levin Turnage.
      Sally McGlohon
      * Robert and Spier are brothers; sons of Ambrose 'Amber' Witherington (26 Feb 1768 - 1824) and Susanna 'Susan' Mills.

      Children of George McGlohon (b: Before. 1769) and his wife Mary Harrington (d: 07 Aug 1844):
      Elizabeth 'Eliza' McGlohon wed William English
      Luke McGlawhorn, Sr (d: May 1850) wed two times:
      1) Mary Stocks
      2) Mary Molsey �Molsey� Braxton (1805 - 1878) about 1821
      Jeremiah M 'Jerry' McGlohon (29 Nov 1819 - 11 Aug 1894) wed
      Susan Elizabeth Ellis (28 Jan 1824 - 01 May 1899)
      Harvey Edward 'Henry' McLawhorn (03 Apr 1821 - 26 Feb 1901) wed
      Nancy Edwards (11 Dec 1831 - 23 Aug 1898)
      Martha Ann 'Patsy' McGlawhorn wed William Benson 13 Mar 1851 in Pitt County
      Courthouse, NC by Caleb Cannon, JP
      Aaron L McGlawhorn (12 Jan 1824 � 1904) wed three times.
      1) Priscilla Worthington
      2) Mason L 'Macy' Jackson on 19 Apr 1866 in Pitt County Courthouse, NC
      by J.C.C. Jenkins, JP
      3) Mary Frances Harris on 05 Jan 1875 in Contentnea Township, Pitt County, NC

      Marcia McLawhorn
      marcia_mclawhorn@...

      Main surnames: McLAWHORN (all sp), SMITH, WORTHINGTON (all sp)
      Other surnames (alphabetical): COWARD, FORREST, GRIMSLEY, HAGENS (all sp), HARRINGTON, JOHNSON, McCOY, MILLS, PHILLIPS, SPIVEY, TAYLOR, WATERS