Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Abraham Lincoln's birth

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
      Sir, I myself take no pleasure in downing a book with
      or without examining it. When asked my opinion, I
      acknowledged not having read the book. Instead I read
      critiques of the book, as our library does not own
      your book. Based upon those and allowing that the
      conclusions drawn were correct, then there followed
      the opinion I expressed. With those reservations, I
      prefaced my remarks. I doubt that any of us who are
      interested in genealogy and in the combined fields of
      genalogy and history would with malice aforethought
      make light of your work or of your interest in
      pursuing DNA evidence. While it would be rewarding to
      have actual DNA support for your argument, to date it
      does not exist--if I understand you correctly.
      Therefore, you have put before us an interesting
      hypothesis rather than proof--again if I understand
      you correctly--and you would like to have the DNA
      analysis to support your argument. Certainly such
      evidence would be desirable, and I doubt that anyone
      would dispute you on the subject. To date, though, we
      don't have it, and we can only use what we do have. I
      do not blame you for defending your work. Any of us
      would do the same in your place. I sincerely hope that
      whoever is in a position to provide you the DNA you
      need to determine Lincoln's parentage does so--in the
      interest of both history and science, if not in that
      of simple human nature. In the meantime, pardon both
      my humor and my reservations. We Tarheels are famous
      for our laughter and our skepticism. Among us these
      characteristics are the ties that bind. Please take
      our remarks to each other in the vein in which they
      were intended. None of us had the intention of
      offending anyone. Carol

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/