Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Webb, Calloway, Worthington (Hiram Forbes Will)

  • Jo Webb
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2004
      Lisa, here is a copy of Hiram's will......

      STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
      COUNTY OF WILSON

      FILED FOR PROBATE

      I, HIRAM FORBES of the County of Wilson and the State of North Carolina,
      being of sound mind and memory, but considering the uncertainty of my
      earthly existence, do make and declare this my last will and testament in
      manner and form following:

      That is to say -- First that my executor pay all my just debts whatsoever
      and to whomever owing out of the monies that may first come into his hands
      as a part or parcel of my estate.

      I give and devise to my beloved wife the tract of land on which I now live
      during the term of her natural life or widowhood and after her death or
      marriage to my son ROMULUZ and also lend to my wife two Negro slaves, one
      woman named MARY ANN and man SIM. The above named Negroes to remain on the
      land and work for the support of my wife and two younger children ROMULUZ
      and ELIZABETH, and if in case my wife should marry, my will is that the
      Negroes above shall be equally divided between my three children ---
      RANDOLPH, ELIZABETH and ROMULUZ.

      ITEM
      I give my daughter ELIZABETH one bay horse and to my son ROMULUZ one bay
      mare mule, but they are to remain on the farm for the benefit of my wife
      and children so long as they remain together.

      I also give my son ROMULUZ, one cart and two plows, the cart given is the
      best I have.

      ITEM
      I give for the support of my wife and her family, fifteen hundred pounds of
      pork and thirty barrels of corn, eight stacks of fodder first choice, three
      sacks of flour and I also give to my wife and two children, ELIZABETH and
      ROMULUZ, three souz and six shoats. I also desire that my wife should take
      care of a Negro child HANNAH until it arrives to the age of ten years.

      ITEM
      I give and devise to my children RANDOLPH, ELIZABETH, and ROMULUZ, three
      Negroes, TONY, MACE, and HANNAH to be equally divided between them, and if
      any one of the other should die without issue, the Negroes to be equally
      divided between the other two and if one of the two should die without issue
      the one that's living should be his.

      ITEM
      I give and bequeath to my daughter SALLY, wife of THOMAS BAKER, 1 Negro girl
      named SILERY to have and to hold to her and her lawful children forever.

      ITEM
      I give and devise to my son RUFUS WEBB the tract of land I purchased from
      WATSON HARRELL, lying in the east side of White Oak adjoining JAMES BAKER,
      and one sable mare, saddle and also one sow his choice of the hogs at the
      road.

      ITEM
      I give and devise to my son RUFUS WEBB and my daughter CINTHIA WEBB,
      children of TEMPA WEBB, one Negro woman named GATSY to be equally divided
      between them.

      ITEM
      I give and devise to my son RANDOLPH all of its tract of land on the east
      side of the Mill, it being the land I purchased of ISCOB BYNUM, adjoining
      the land of ELI JONES and others, and if the said RANDOLPH has no lawful
      heirs, then the land be equally divided between the children of RACHEL
      WEBB - Namely as follows-- VESTA ANN, WALTER, BARNA, LIPSICOMB, TEMPA,
      AMANDA.

      ITEM
      I give and devise to my six children, VESTA ANN, WALTER, BARNA, LIPSICOMB,
      TEMPA, and AMANDA, one tract of land known as the Felton Land, beginning at
      the Mill and running to the road so as to include all the tract of land
      above named and adjoining the land formerly belonging to TEMPA WEBB to have
      and to hold to them and their heirs forever. Also two Negroes named TOBEY
      and MINIVA to them and their heirs forever.

      It is my will and desire that the last named Negroes, TOBEY and MINIVA shall
      remain on the land that I give to my six children VESTA ANN, WALTER, BARNA,
      LIPSICOMB, TEMPA, AMANDA, and work to support the said children, until they
      arrive to the age of twenty-one years, and I also give to the said children,
      one black horse male, one cow and yearling. The cow is red and white color.
      One pair of cart wheels, wooden axle, one plow, ten barrels corn, two blade
      stacks fodder, three hundred pound pork.

      ITEM
      If RUFUS or CINTHIA die without lawful heirs my will is that their estate be
      equally divided between VESTA ANN, WALTER, BARNA, LIPSECOMB, TEMPA, and
      AMANDA.

      ITEM
      My will and desire is that the Mill shall be kept up by my four sons,
      RANDOLPH, RUFUS, ROMULUZ, and WALTER, for the benefit of all my children.
      My will and desire is that if I have enough owe me after selling my property
      to pay my debts that my Negroes hereafter named, to be hired out until they
      hire for enough to pay - TONY, MACE, GATSY.

      ITEM
      I give and bequeath to my wife one feather bed and covering her choice, and
      also to my three children RANDOLPH, ELIZABETH, and ROMULUZ, one feather bed
      each and covering. It is my will and desire that all the residue of my
      estate be sold and all debts owe me be collected, and if there should be
      any surplus over and above the payment of debts, expenses, and legacys that
      such surplus shall be equally divided and paid over to my said wife and all
      my children in equal portions. Share and share alike to them and each and
      everyone of their executors, administrators and assigns absolutely forever.

      And lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint my trusty friend JAMES BARNES
      my lawful executor of all intent and purposes to execute this my last will
      and testament according to the true intent and meaning of the same and every
      part and clause-thereby revoking and declaring all other wills and
      testaments
      by me heretofore made. In --- whereof I, the said HYRUM FORBES, do hereunto
      set my hand and seal the 18th day of December, 1861.

      WITNESS:

      WM. ELLIS
      JOHN CARTER, JR.